4 Storybooks with Li'l Rabbit learning wild plants, crafts, ecology & the Old Ways of CA on hikes with Uncle Bear. You come along too! Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on June 3, 2012.
About this project
My name is David Self. I'm a botanist / ecologist. And I need your help completing at least four Tales - for Kids and their Elders - that explore California Ecology and Culture through the eyes of Li'l Rabbit.
In each Tale, Li'l Rabbit will hike real-world trails with Uncle Bear (sometimes with a few of Uncle Bear's Apprentices too). Together, they'll tend, gather and restore useful plants and their habitats, they'll use the plants for food, fiber or other crafts, and - with others - they'll celebrate plants, foods and crafts of the season. During these adventures, Li'l Rabbit will also learn: local plants, animals, geography & ecology; and seasonal "landcare & craft" knowledge and skills.
Combining past, present and possible, the Li'l Rabbit Tales show how the Old Ways, Restoration Ecology, Gardening, and Crafts can be combined into active, positive adventures that restore, celebrate and sustain local biodiversity, and rich Culture too.
With funding, I'll be able to:
- complete at least 4 Li'l Rabbit Tales & the illustrations,
- assemble them into media-rich e-Books and pdf's, and
- develop a website with related lessons, downloads, videos, links, etc.
Hopefully the Li'l Rabbit Tales and Li'l Rabbit Website will:
- help get kids & their elders on local trails to learn local ecology, crafts & culture too
- serve as a resource for outdoor & classroom lessons on local ecology & culture
- help inspire & sustain 'landcare & craft' workshops & other programs on the trails
- place the Old Ways of California side by side with Restoration Ecology; and
- allow me to develop plans, workshops, stories & eGuides for trails around CA
Pledge to Li'l Rabbit, and we'll picnic, & maybe hike a trail or two too, & you'll:
- learn how Native Folk used, celebrated & sustained native plants, habitats & crafts
- learn how folks today could help restore and sustain local plants & places, and
- learn how to help revive and sustain associated crafts, culture & Traditions.
I deeply appreciate the time you've taken to consider this proposal!, I look forward to hearing from you, and perhaps we'll meet soon on a favorite trail. Thanks! Sincerely --Dave Self
------------------------ PLEASE: ------------------------
- Pledge by June 3! [If goal isn't reached by then, pledges will be refunded]
- Enlist friends, teachers, hiking buddies, scout troops, and your local park.
- Share a postcard (download here & print), and
- 'Pledge for Your Favorite Trails'
[Here's a short clip from "Li'l Rabbit Collects Acorns" to give the flavor - enjoy!]
Earn an extra Li'l Rabbit Hike for your group (max 30 people per hike):
- 1st each of a School, Park, Non-Profit, Scout Troop & Club with 20+pledges,
- 1st 5 Groups of 200+ members to Post the project in Newsletter by mid-May.
**These groups or organizations must be within 100 miles of Davis! ** Also make sure to tell your folks to notify me of their Park, Group or Organization when they pledge.
- Artists, Ecologists, Foragers, Native Artisans, Photographers, Musicians ... get a link to your website or gallery, if your creation is included in a Li'l Rabbit Book - so pledge now, promote the project with your creative friends, join some of our adventures and submit your creations. These creations could include: drawings, paintings, trail maps, songs, photos of plants or crafts, poems, recipes, bits of story ... Apply Your skills & creativity!
- Picnics are "bring your own food & drink". Feel free to bring wild treats to share if you wish. And bring art, your musical instruments, drum, crafts that you've made and want to share, business cards, inspiration, creativity, etc.
- The first round of Li'l Rabbit Tales will explore: •Davis & Vicinity •Greater Sacramento Area (Dry Creek watershed, bike trails of Folsom, American River Parkway), •Pt Reyes National Seashore, and the •Bay Area. •Other Areas may be added based on demand.
- Group Hikes Can be Arranged, with 20 to 25 Pledges at $40+ each. Each pledge should identify the Group and a Contact Person. **For sites over 100 miles from Davis, PLEASE add cost of mileage, meals & lodging to your pledge.**
- All 4 Books will be included with a pledge of $25 or more (April 19 change).
- $100 earns "sponsor" status, plus a "Li'l Rabbit Sponsor" patch, etc.
This Project is dedicated to Susan Maxwell - wife, partner & mentor - sharing her deep appreciation of local ecology, culture & craft, science, math & gardening with kids & others for over 30 years.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (60 days)