>>>STRETCH GOALS UNLOCKED <<<
- $20,000 Stretch Goal—UNLOCKED! All of the SUBSCRIPTION and BUNDLE rewards get lots of extra stuff! [details]
- $25,000 Stretch Goal—UNLOCKED! We'll also publish a special issue of Nightmare Magazine, WOMEN DESTROY HORROR! [details]
- $35,000 Stretch Goal—UNLOCKED! We'll also publish a special issue of Fantasy Magazine, WOMEN DESTROY FANTASY! [details]
>>>STRETCH GOAL REWARDS UPDATE<<<
- Every backer who pledges at least $5 gets an ebook of ALL THREE ISSUES: Women Destroy Science Fiction, Women Destroy Horror, and Women Destroy Fantasy!
About the Kickstarter
It could be said that women invented science fiction; after all, Mary Shelley wrote what is considered by many to be the first science fiction novel (Frankenstein). Yet some readers seem to have this funny idea that women don’t—or can’t—write science fiction. Some have even gone so far as to accuse women of destroying science fiction with their girl cooties. So to help prove how silly that notion is, LIGHTSPEED MAGAZINE's June 2014 issue—our fourth anniversary issue—will be a Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue. And we will also—for the first time in LIGHTSPEED's history—have a guest editor at the helm.
The original announcement of this special issue generated so much excitement that we wanted to find ways to include even more amazing science fiction by women. So—with your help—we're going to make the special issue twice the size of a normal issue of LIGHTSPEED.
Women aren’t writing “real” science fiction, the fallacy goes. “Real” science fiction is . . . whatever science fiction certain men like. Some days this makes us sad. Some days it makes us angry. And some days it just seems hilarious. . .and a quip on Twitter turns into a special issue of LIGHTSPEED in the space of roughly half an hour.
When we announced the Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue in September, the response was immediate and overwhelming. All people had was a title and an email address, but the enthusiasm was boundless. The special "I Want to Destroy SF" inbox we setup filled with subject lines like:
- Helping my sisters destroy science fiction since 1983
- I CAN HAZ DESTROY?
- If anyone’s going to destroy SFF—
- Please sir, may I destroy science fiction?
Why, yes. Yes, you may.
LIGHTSPEED was founded on the core idea that all science fiction is real science fiction. The whole point of this magazine is that science fiction is vast. It is inclusive. Science fiction is about people (roughly 50% of whom are women), just as much as it’s about ideas. Science fiction is about us, our perils and our promise; it’s about our collective future. LIGHTSPEED has also been committed to gender parity from the beginning, and we have achieved it consistently for nearly four years now. But looking around at media at large, it’s clearly just not enough—and thus the Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue was born.
The Special Issue
A regular issue of LIGHTSPEED contains an equal mix of science fiction and fantasy short fiction, consisting of 4 original stories, 4 reprints, plus a novella reprint (exclusive to our ebook edition). Each issue also includes feature interviews, an artist showcase, and spotlights on the authors who appear in the issue.
The special issue will contain the following:
- All science fiction (no fantasy)
- 5 original, never-before-published short stories
- About 5,000 words of original flash fiction (about 5 flash stories)
- 2 previously-published short stories
- 1 previously-published novella
- Author Spotlights on our authors in this issue
- Assorted nonfiction features
- An original cover by Hugo Award-winning illustrator Galen Dara
- Some super snazzy title design by Jenn Reese of Tiger Bright Studios
If we successfully fund, the special DOUBLE issue will contain the following additional material:
- 5 original, never-before-published short stories (for a total of 10)
- About 5,000 additional words of original flash fiction (for a total of about 10 flash stories)
- 2 previously-published short stories (for a total of 4)
- In lieu of a second novella, we'll include about 25,000 words of essays (i.e., about a novella's worth) by women about their experiences with science fiction and the SF field
- Author Spotlights on our authors in this issue
- Even more assorted nonfiction features
And naturally, all of the above will all be authored entirely by women.
The Guest Editors
For this special issue, control of the magazine has been handed over to the women of LIGHTSPEED:
LIGHTSPEED assistant editor Christie Yant—who has been with the magazine nearly since its inception—will be the guest editor-in-chief for this special issue.
An author who has appeared on every major ballot our field has to offer, founding editor of PodCastle, and winner of the 2011 Nebula Award, Rachel Swirsky joins us as guest reprint editor for the issue to showcase the ground-breaking work done by women in the past.
Producing our podcast for the month is Grammy nominee and Audie Award winner Gabrielle de Cuir of Skyboat Media, with guest host Mur Lafferty, former editor of SF audio magazine Escape Pod, and winner of the 2013 John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer.
This issue is about the voices and art of women, and as such our goal is to find ways to include as many women in science fiction as possible.
So for the first time, in addition to our usual original fiction, we will also be accepting up to ten pieces of flash fiction. LIGHTSPEED assistant editor Robyn Lupo will be flash fiction editor for the issue.
To further that goal, we've also got our managing editor Wendy Wagner on board to serve as the editor of a series of personal essays by the women of science fiction we'll be posting here on Kickstarter as project updates.
LIGHTSPEED (lightspeedmagazine.com) is a digital science fiction and fantasy magazine. In its pages, you will find science fiction: from near-future, sociological soft SF, to far-future, star-spanning hard SF—and fantasy: from epic fantasy, sword-and-sorcery, and contemporary urban tales, to magical realism, science-fantasy, and folktales. When you read LIGHTSPEED, it is our hope that you’ll see where science fiction and fantasy comes from, where it is now, and where it’s going.
LIGHTSPEED is a three-time finalist for the Hugo Award, and stories from LIGHTSPEED have been nominated for the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Theodore Sturgeon Award, and the World Fantasy Award.
When not doing a special issue devoted to amazing women, LIGHTSPEED is usually edited by bestselling anthologist John Joseph Adams, editor of Wastelands, The Living Dead, Brave New Worlds, and many other anthologies, such as the Kickstarted project Help Fund My Robot Army.
All of the money raised by this project will be used to fund the publication of the Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue. Anything raised above and beyond our stated goal will go toward the production of future issues of LIGHTSPEED.
- All backers who pledge at least $5 (the DESTROY SF! reward level) will receive an ebook copy of the LIGHTSPEED Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue. The special issue will be available in June 2014.
- All ebook rewards will be made available DRM-free in epub, mobi, and PDF format. Mobi is primarily for Kindle/Kindle app users; Epub works on lots of things, such as Nook, Kobo, and iBooks.
- All ebook rewards, except for the Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue, will be made available immediately after the Kickstarter ends. As noted above, the special issue will be available June 2014.
- If you buy a bundle, the randomly-selected back issues you get as part of the DESTROY SF! reward will be issues in addition to the ones you get in your bundle (i.e., we won't give you any duplicates).
- If you select one of the subscription rewards, your subscription will begin with the February 2014 issue unless otherwise noted in the stretch goals below.
- Since all of the subscription rewards include the DESTROY SF! reward, the special issue won't count against your subscription, so if you buy a one-year subscription, you'll really be getting 13 issues, rather than 12.
- If you want the DESTROY PRINT reward, but also want to back at a higher tier, we also have options for that. Just look for the rewards that have PRINT in the titles.
- To our international backers who want the DESTROY PRINT! reward—we apologize for the stiff fee ($20) for international shipping, but that's what it costs, unfortunately! The print edition will likely be between 1-2 lbs., which means the shipping will be $18+, so we rounded that up to $20 for the "handling" part of "shipping and handling."
- NEW: Nightmare and Fantasy Magazine rewards (added 1/20/14). Note: Nightmare is horror/dark fantasy magazine also published by the publisher of Lightspeed (aka a "sister-magazine"). Fantasy Magazine was also a sister-magazine, but in January 2012 was merged into Lightspeed.
In the event we massively exceed our goal, we'd like to thank our backers by offering the following stretch goals:
If We Reach $10,000—UNLOCKED!
Everyone who backs at any of the SUBSCRIPTION reward tiers, will get their reward PLUS they will also get a bundle of back issues equal to the term of their subscription.
So if you choose the ONE-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION (i.e. 12 month subscription) you would also get 12 back issues. If you choose a TWO-YEAR, you'd get 24 back issues; THREE-YEAR, 36 back issues.
If you choose the FOUR-YEAR subscription, you'll get LIGHTSPEED issues 1-48 (June 2010 - May 2014) + the WOMEN DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION (June 2014) issue + your four-year (48 month) subscription starting with the July 2014 issue.
If you chose one of the LIGHTSPEED BUNDLES, you'll also get an equal number of bundles of FANTASY MAGAZINE back issues. So if you bought the LIGHTSPEED YEAR ONE, YEAR TWO, or YEAR THREE bundles, you'll get one free FANTASY bundle; if you bought the SUPERMASSIVE BUNDLE, you'll get three FANTASY bundles.
If We Reach $20,000—UNLOCKED!
Everyone who backs at any of the ONE-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION, TWO-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION, or THREE-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION reward tiers will get get LIGHTSPEED issues 1-48 (June 2010 - May 2014) plus the WOMEN DESTROY SCIENCE FICTION (June 2014) issue, and then your subscription would start with the July 2014 issue.
Everyone who backs at the FOUR-YEAR SUBSCRIPTION tier will get everything mentioned above in the $20,000 stretch goal, plus an additional 12 months will be added to the subscription (so the four-year subscription would become a five-year subscription).
At this level, if you bought one of the LIGHTSPEED BUNDLES, you'll also get the NIGHTMARE YEAR ONE BUNDLE; if you bought the SUPERMASSIVE BUNDLE, you'll get the NIGHTMARE YEAR ONE BUNDLE, as well as a two-year subscription to NIGHTMARE, starting retroactive with the Nov. 2013 issue (which is the start of "year two").
If We Reach $25,000: WOMEN DESTROY HORROR!—UNLOCKED!
If we reach this funding level, then clearly the destruction of science fiction will not be enough so satiate you people, so another genre must be destroyed. And, after carefully considering all of our options, we all agreed: Horror has it coming.
So, if we raise more than $25,000, in addition to Women Destroy Science Fiction! we will also publish Women Destroy Horror!, a special issue of Lightspeed's sister-magazine, Nightmare. And we are pleased to announce that Women Destroy Horror! will be guest-edited by the legendary editor-queen of the dark and the macabre: ELLEN DATLOW!
Women Destroy Horror! will be a double issue of Nightmare, and thus will consist of 8 pieces of fiction (4 originals and 4 reprints), plus assorted nonfiction.
Everyone who pledges $5 or more will also receive a copy of Women Destroy Horror!
If We Reach $35,000: WOMEN DESTROY FANTASY! — UNLOCKED!
If we reach this funding level, then ... then we're really getting ridiculous! But if we do, then clearly the destruction of science fiction AND horror is STILL not enough, and thus another genre must be destroyed. After again carefully considering all of our options--
No, wait! This is unprecedented: Fantasy has volunteered as tribute!
OK, OK, so women are pretty well represented in fantasy, thus it doesn't really have it coming the way horror and SF have it coming. On the other hand, anyone remember the Gor novels? Or what about all those ridiculous sexist depictions on book covers of scantily clad women wearing armor that wouldn't protect you from a mosquito bite. Or what about--
You know what? It DOES have it coming! DESTROY ALL GENRES!
So, if we raise more than $35,000, in addition to Women Destroy Science Fiction! AND Women Destroy Horror!, we will also publish Women Destroy Fantasy!, a special issue of Lightspeed's OTHER sister-magazine, Fantasy Magazine. (Well, Fantasy was merged into Lightspeed, so technically I guess they're not sisters anymore. [More like a fetal resorption? Aren't you glad you clicked through to that link? You're welcome.] But never mind that, it's not important!)
But anyway! Rather than replace a second issue of Lightspeed's publication schedule with another special issue, we decided we'd revive dear-old Fantasy Magazine for this special issue. Like Women Destroy Horror!, it will be a double issue, and will include 8 pieces of fiction (4 originals and 4 reprints) plus an array of nonfiction.
And we are pleased to announce that Women Destroy Fantasy! will showcase the return of the whimsical editorial stylings of none other than long-time Fantasy Magazine editor, CAT RAMBO!
Everyone who pledges $5 or more will also receive a copy of Women Destroy Fantasy!
Risks and challenges
The Women Destroy Science Fiction! special issue is scheduled to publish June 1, 2014. LIGHTSPEED has been publishing monthly issues since June 2010, and we haven't missed an issue or had an issue come out late in all that time, so there's no reason to suspect that we'll start now.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)