This project's funding goal was not reached on April 25, 2014.
About this project
Instantly send photos directly to ANY LifePrint printer in the world, not just your own. Check out the printer and App in action in the video below...
It's WIFI AND Bluetooth
It looks really cool
It's super easy to use
We ship film for FREE anywhere in the world for orders of 100 pieces of more ($50 or more)
And It's a Physical Photo Social Network -- You can "follow" your favorite photographers, musicians, artists, models and other LifePrint users all over the world! Like a nature photographer in Montana? Follow her. Like that cool band and want to see what they're up to on tour? Follow them. They'll be sending you REAL PHOTOS straight to your printer from all over the globe. Nothing else out there even comes close...
So in the spirit of sharing photos with people you love, please give us a SHARE as well on FB and Twitter! The more people that use LifePrint the more awesome the network becomes!
At $350,000, LifePrint Supporters will receive a FREE 10 pack of film! (10 photos)
(Valid for ALL supporters pledging $99 or more)
Cult of Mac --LifePrint might finally have invented a printer that you’ll want to use. It’s a wireless, internet-connected box that lets you print pictures from your iPhone (or Android phone), and you can also send photos direct to the printers of your friends and family.
Tech Crunch - But what makes the printer interesting is the way it works...The printer can receive your photos wirelessly, and not only when you’re on the same Wi-Fi network, like a traditional home printer would require.
Wired Magazine --The idea of coming home to a bunch of photos to look through has us really looking forward to getting our hands on one of these
Yahoo! Tech-- LifePrint, however, is unique in that it allows you to create your own network based on other people you know who own the gadget.
App Advice -- LifePrint certainly looks like an interesting companion for an iPhone.
TUAW - Admit it, haven't you sometimes wished that you had one of the old Polaroid instant cameras instead of your iPhone camera, so you could print out a picture and hand it to someone? That's the idea behind LifePrint
PSFK -- The printer has a unique ‘social’ feature that sets it apart from similar devices. This is an elegant feature if you have, for example, a family member living on the other side of the country who wants to send photos.
Take a photo with your smartphone, open the LifePrint App, and print. Easy. Your photo will wirelessly print in about 60 seconds and be waiting for you when you get home. This will even work if you're on vacation half-way across the world while your printer is on your desk at home. You will not be required to be connected to WiFi to print. As long as you have 3G connection or better, you're good to go.
Bring your LifePrint with you and share those special moments with friends and family. Your printer will print about 30 photos on a full charge and is small enough to easily fit in one hand.
Instantly share actual photographs with friends and family all over the world. For example, through the LifePrint App, I'll be able to "follow" my sister who lives in Japan and she'll be able to "follow" me back. That way, she can send me photos of my new niece from 5,000 miles away, and I can send her photos of me eating In N Out burger in California to make her jealous.
As our network grows, you'll even be able to "follow" celebrities, nature photographers, fashion models, sports teams, and so on... just like you do on Instagram. But instead of just 'liking' the image on your phone screen, you'll have a real photograph to enjoy.
If you happen to be a celeb or artist, LifePrint gives you a unique opportunity to share actual photographs with your fans and followers so you can connect with them in a way you've never been able to do before.
After you've printed a photo, the LifePrint app allows you to easily share it on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media with our unique hashtag #LifePrinted. That way, you can get more 'likes' and attract more followers.
Within the app, you'll be able to edit your photos giving you just the right style and tone you're looking for. Of course, if you have other photo editing apps you prefer, you'll be able to print those photos as well. Anything that saves to your camera roll, you can print. LifePrint App Photo editing options include:
- Color filters
- Picture Stitching (combining multiple photos into one photo)
- Adding 'talk bubbles' and other text
- Border selection
Looking for a more retro vibe? Just select one of our borders within the app and get the style you're looking for. You can even write a note in the border area or add a date stamp.
See app screen shots further down for additional info on photo editing
LifePrint has a sleek design specifically refined to feel right at home with your smartphone.These are photos of early prototypes that will continue to be refined and improved as we go into development for mass production.
Colors available are:
- Black/Chrome *Kickstarter Exclusive*
Printer Size -- The LifePrint printer measures roughly 6.5" long x 4.5" wide x 1.5" thick. Weighs approximately 1.5 lbs.
Photo Size -- Film size is 3"x4" inches
- Apple Compatibility -- iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPad Air, and future Apple devices
- Android Compatibility -- Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5, HTC One, Google Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 2/3, and future Android devices
- Reject unwanted photos -- Don't care what your friend had for lunch? Great, we didn't think you would. Easily reject unwanted photos within the app in your 'printer queue' before they print. The sender will not be informed you have rejected the photo
- Privacy -- You have the option of having your printer be private. So if you don't want anyone sending you photos or 'following' your printer, you can stay off the grid
- Printing Process -- We've selected thermal processing for the print engine. This will yield the best quality for the best price, so your photos are rich and vibrant, but don't cost you an arm and a leg. Final selection of exactly which type of thermal printing process to utilize will happen post-Kickstarter as we go into production
- Film Capacity -- Film capacity will be 10 prints
- Additional Film -- Additional film will be available in retail stores and through our website after Kickstarter is finished. 30 prints are expected to cost around $20
- Warranty -- One year warranty
- Patents Pending -- So don't get any funny ideas...
Never has getting photos off your phone been so fast and easy.
The LifePrint App and socially connected network is really what makes us special. Within the app you can:
- Edit your photos
- Easily print your photos from your camera roll
- Print and share photos with friends and family around the world
- Easily receive photos from those you 'follow' as well as reject unwanted photos
- Share printed photos on social media with our unique hashtag #LifePrinted making it easy to search for and share with others in the LifePrint network
- Manage your print queue
- Find new people to follow
- Manage your privacy settings
- Manage your "following" and "followers"
- Manage your 'auto approve' settings (auto approve is a feature that allows you to select if a person is always approved to print so you don't need to individually approve or deny each photo they send)
Robert's Linkedin profile
Tim's Linkedin profile
Craig's Linkedin profile
Pat's Linkedin profile
Mark's Linkedin profile
Duane's Linkedin profile
We've come a long way...
Born out of a passion for photographs and a desire for freeing our special moments from digital screens, our team has been working on this project for over 2 years building the use cases, designing the architecture (client, server and hardware), building the molds for the prototypes, identifying all components necessary for mass production, and engaging with the supply chain.
To take this from an idea to a prototype, we spent countless hours defining the best possible experience for sharing physical photos and then developed a fully working Bluetooth version for iPhone which was built from existing components in the marketplace and 3D printing our own unique design. Though the app is not yet complete, it is currently in development. We have manufacturing partners eager to begin tooling and building our hardware. But we need your support!
The money raised by this campaign will allow us to get to our next major development milestones for coding API architecture, refinement of app user interface, as well as finalize specifics for print process and begin hardware tooling for mass production. We will make this happen on time!
The following timeline has been quoted and verified by our manufacturing partners and app/software development team.
- Mid April 2014: Kickstarter project funded (woop!)
- Late April: Production kickoff overseas/continuing software development
- Late August: Engineering samples tested against software API and app. Continuing refinement of app and hardware
- Mid October: T1 production samples/Begin modification for Android development
- December: Golden Sample approved. Mass production and shipping
- Early January: Delivery iPhone Version
- Early March: Test all supported Android Phones
- Late March: Ship Android Version
- Mid April: Delivery Android version
And as a final note, we wanted to thank you. Not for backing this project specifically, but for being here. Just by reading this text it shows you're the kind of person who supports dreams. Who supports entrepreneurs. Because of people like you, thousands of projects have been given a chance to come to life and thousands of people have been given the opportunity to pursue their passions... a truly special gift. So for that, just for being the type of person who supports the dreamers, for giving us and others the chance to make our inspirations come to life, whether you pledge for us or not, you have our most sincere gratitude. And we thank you.
Risks and challenges
Risk: Preparing for mass production
Overcoming the Risk: We have identified multiple partners overseas who specialize in various thermal printing methods including extensive experience in instant photo printing so we have multiple sources if one partner falls through.
Risk: App Development
Overcoming the Risk: Our technical team has over 20 years combined experience in "Appcessory" development in the photo and non-photo space for both Android and iPhone. As you can see from some of the credentials from our team above, developing the app and ensuring it has a rich, simple user experience is definitely a challenge we can overcome.
Overcoming the risk: We currently have detailed quotes from our manufacturer as well as our back end development team as to how long the development of this project will take. Currently, we have no indication that says this project will not be able to deliver on time.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
No, the hardware will work the same for both iPhone and Android, the only difference is the App. The Android App will be available a few months later since we need to develop for several platforms on that device. But if you want to get two printers so you can share photos with friends and family, we definitely recommend doing so :)
Film will ALWAYS be available on the LifePrint website and in retail stores once the Kickstarter campaign is complete. We will ship film internationally.
10 Pack $10
30 Pack $20
100 Pack $50
The whole purpose of LifePrint is to be able to print and share photos across great distances. NO OTHER PRINTER IN THE WORLD DOES THIS TODAY. With a second printer, you can give one to a family member or friend who lives far away and share photos with each other from great distances
The battery will last for approximately 30 prints. LifePrint is not just battery powered. You can charge in any standard outlet via USB.
You will ALWAYS be able to purchase film through our website so we can ship directly to your home. We will offer FREE SHIPPING to all customers who purchase the 100 film pack at $50, so you never have to worry about paying huge amounts of money in shipping costs
- (39 days)