Lifelogger - Point of View Wearable Camera!
Lifelogger - Point of View Wearable Camera!
LifeLogger's team is working to bring you the ultimate POV wearable video camera along with the best processing software!
LifeLogger's team is working to bring you the ultimate POV wearable video camera along with the best processing software! Read more
Lifelogger is a small light weight versatile wearable video camera, with the capability of recording video (1080), still pictures or live streaming. We are the true POV camera as the lense is situated directly at eye level therefore recording whatever your looking at. The camera can be turned on manually or through our APP which is IOS or Android based.
We also offer as an option only a cloud based software service which is used for storing your videos. Once uploaded this software service also proved text, voice and face detection processing for each video. This software is very handy for the storing and recalling of a certain video or parts of videos based on voice, face or text tags in the video. Your videos are stored and seen an a 3D timeline which keeps all videos organized and easy to search for. This software while very useful is not necessary for use with the Lifelogger camera, just an option for people who will use it.
You can share your videos through your social media networks (Facebook, twiiter etc) as well as download to your computer or upload to your own cloud for storage. Our cloud is only required if you would like access to our proprietary software.
We started this project over 16 months ago and since then we have been working on a few different prototypes. Our engineers reconfigured the inside components many times in order to make the unit small and light. Our results so far have been excellent. Working now with a Taiwan manufacturer who will help us finalize the product with the right chipsets and product design to our satisfaction. Our engineers have worked with different H264 Video chips, GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth manufacturers to find the right combination which results in lightweight design and best performance.
While we were developing in 2013-14 there were some new and smaller chipsets announced ( like Ambarella A7LW - specifically made for wearable cams) so we are currently considering redoing the PCB layout and using the Ambarella A7LW which will save space and increase battery life.
THE LIFELOGGER CONCEPT
Our team set out to help you record your special moments hands free from your point of view! Adding as much additional details/metadata as possible. Wherever you are looking while wearing our camera you can shoot the video in that direction! Then we took it one step further and set out to create the most sophisticated cloud based video management and processing software available on the market today! We call it the complete video solution
Our goal is simple, to offer a solution for everyday use of filming our lives "handsfree" and from your Point of View. Parents can record their children's special moments easily and store it for ease of replaying forever.
The process to design the camera and headpiece is currently undergoing extensive research. We research and discover trends in materials, ﬁnishes and colors as it relates to the project as well as human factors investigation to understand the ergonomic constraints.
Armed with a ﬁrm product vision, the team analyzes the viability of the conceptual design, evolving the idea into electronic and mechanical models.
In this stage we work closely with our manufacturing and design partners to understand what they will be able to achieve when it comes to mass production, given our mechanical direction...
Our research has shown that the only way to get a true recording of what you want hands-free is wearing the camera on your head. Cameras worn around your neck or clipped to clothing don't record what you are looking at and can move around during body movement. Our design of the camera in conjunction with the comfortable headpiece proved to be the ultimate hands-free camera solution.
The headpiece is very comfortable, durable, lightweight and has proven to be very sturdy during daily use. Once on you forget you are wearing it as our design team has found the perfect combination of design and materials.
LIFELOGGER DEVELOPMENT TEAM
Our team is comprised of developers with extensive experience in hardware and software development! We are currently adding to this team of highly skilled software specialists to help us finalize and enhance our Cloud platform.
Our in-house hardware developers who have spent over a year developing and testing many variations of components to deliver the best product possible. And we continue to do so on daily basis - now that we started communicating with a few potential manufacturers from Asia we have a better understanding of the whole production process!
Key Project Members
Atanas R. - Firmware, Drivers, Android Developer
Lavender W. - Hardware Design and Chipset Advisor
Vlad S. - Hardware schematics, Low level System programming
Tihomir S. - PCB design
Eugene N. - Project Manager
Filip J. - Software Project leader , Java, .NET
Jordan Y. - Java Programmer
Nikola D. - HTML 5, Java, C++
Stefan T. , Peter G.
Video for Kickstarter: Paul @ Superhuman Images
On the picture below you can see the first prototype that we made back in December. Does not include GPS/gyro and was basic proof of concept.
We are working with an excellent design and research team to ensure our product is the best it can be.
On the picture below is the first prototype that has 100% working GPS. It turns out that placing GPS so close to other key chip components is extremely challenging because of interference between them.
- Model Lifelogger
- Image Sensor 5 Mega pixels
- Still Image 5 Mega pixels, 4:3
- Video Resolution 720p30fps (A7LW15) *NOW 1080p30fps*
- File Format .jpg ; .mp4 (AVC/H.264)
- Random Access Memory 128Mx16bit (2Gbits) DDR3 SDRAM
- Internal Memory 128MB NAND Flash
- External Memory Micro SD card(SDXC) up to 64G, Min: 4G class 10 ( model will come preloaded with 32GB)
- Display None (Operation by Wi-Fi/bluetooth connection through smartphone)
- Fixed Lens 90 degrees
- Speaker No
- Interface Micro USB 2.0, Micro SD card slot
- LED 3 (Recording / Red, Power / White, WiFi / Blue)
- Button 4 (Recording, Photo, Wi-Fi on/off, Power on/off)
- EIS Yes (Built-in Gyro sensor)
- Time stamp Yes
- Recycled Recording Yes (Default is off, when on to delete the oldest video clip if storage is full)
- Photo Snapshot Yes
- Photo Burst Yes, up to 10 per second by setting
- Time lapse Yes, up to 1 photo per 60 seconds by setting
- Emergency Recording To save previous and afterwards 30 sec. of video clip if emergency recording is activated
- Language English
- G-Sensor/Gyro Sensor 9-axis MEMS (Gyro+Accelerometer+Compass)
- GPS Yes
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth BT4.0 (for synchronize GPS data and pedometer data to smartphone)
- App compatible iOS6.0 above/Android 4.0 above downloading from app store
- Battery 400mAh
- Temperature Operation Temperature: 0°C ~ 60°C, Storage: -20°C~ 60°C
Attachments that will be available for Lifelogger!
- Baseball Cap clip
- Dash Board mount for car
- Handle Bar mount for bicycle
- Glasses clip
- Helmet attachment
- Motorcycle mount
Functional Prototype Video
LIFELOGGER APP FOR ANDROID AND IOS
We know your smart-phone is the device you have all the time so we decided to develop an easy to use application to control your Lifelogger camera. This way we eliminated the need of a LCD screen or more buttons on the camera making it smaller and lighter.
The LifeLogger Android/IOS App allows you to setup your device, sign into your cloud account , manage recorded data, turn ON and OFF live-streaming as well as showing battery status and memory status.
Our APP seamlessly couples with our LifeLogger's cloud. Once you are done with recording, your video content is either automatically uploaded or you can choose to manually upload the videos you like the most. We have put a lot of effort to make the APP interface natural and extremely easy to use.
The APP is almost done. It has all of the functional capabilities except the operation of the camera itself. We are waiting for the final product design for production to be able to complete writing the code for the operational part of the the APP.
LIVESTREAMING VIDEO + GPS position + METADATA
Using Lifelogger Camera you can live steam video (provide you have WIFI connection around you) to any desktop, tablet or smart phone.
The opportunities to use this feature are limitless. You can utilize this feature for personal broadcasting ( fun ) or for more serious business applications . Your only limit on how you can use the live streaming is only your imagination. There are truly hundreds of scenarios where live streaming directly from your point of view could be really helpful.
You do not stream only video - you stream your GPS coordinates as well as compass data ( heading) , GYRO and voice.
The viewers of your broadcast can see the FULL picture of where you are, what you are doing and what is happening around you.
LIFELOGGER CLOUD & VIDEO PROCESSING SOLUTION
From the beginning, we knew we wanted to bring not just the next video portal to watch videos on, we wanted to make it much better. We wanted to build a complete new experience and change the way we relive our video memories.
LifeLogger camera and cloud is the result of this approach. It took an incredible cross-collaborative effort to do this. The seamless integration between hardware and software gave us the ability to display videos like never before.
Nowadays people record hundreds of hours of video and they just let it sit on their Storage devices and if they want to find something they have to watch all the video in order to find what they were looking for.
Our vision for LifeLogger Cloud is to give the user the ability to SEARCH and put order in their videos and metadata. If you can search the videos by Date, Geo Location, Faces spotted, voice recognized and OCR(Optical character recognition) then you can do miracles with your video memories!
Face Detection, Voice Recognition and Video OCR is extremely complicated in video stream and it takes a lot of development resources and time. We would like to point once again that we are a small startup company. While we believe that we are the pioneers in this field for wearable cameras, we are implementing 3rd party voice and ocr recognition engines and working on our algorithms as well.
Once you are done with recording your video, the software automatically combines what you capture into one unique story-like experience.
To create the LifeLogger user interface we began with the design we really loved. One of the biggest challenges for our design-team was to present such a big amount of data just in one screen. This is how we came to the idea of displaying all the videos on a single 3D timeline. It is one of the real breakthroughs that enables you to find the exact video you want in a very simple and natural way.
Once uploaded to the cloud your videos go through the following steps:
1) Video Stabilization - Using software Algo as well as hardware metadata from GYRO we achieve very good video stabilization.
2) Face Detection - We try to detect faces in certain patterns and with certain Algorythms in place so that we process only certain frames ( we do not process every frame) so we can lower the CPU power needed.
3) OCR - OCR in Video is a big challenge. Results from this are better if ultimate conditions are utilized. Good light, direct view, good focus, font size and good angle are important. Because of that our Algo tries to figure out first which frames might contain good quality pictures and only then tries to OCR those frames.
4) Voice Recognition - We strip the audio component from the video and our software does voice recognition, converting the voice into text format (search friendly). For best results clear and proper english enunciation with no background noise is ideal!
5. GPS positioning on a map ( using Google Maps ) + Heading Direction Indicator on the map.
Our team of software engineer’s are designing and testing many different forms of OCR, Voice Detection and Face Detection software. We are putting all our energy and resources trying to develop the best possible software solution for our customers with technology that is currently available on the market today. Today’s technology doesn’t allow for 100% accuracy in Face detection, OCR and Voice recognition in a video. We are very happy with our results and will continue upgrading these services as technology continues to improve in today’s world. While we think our idea is out of this world, we remind you our cloud processing software isn’t “Start Trek” quality! Yet!!!
Important Notice: Users who do not want to use LifeLogger Cloud can download their videos and pictures directly on their computer by USB cable. You can use Lifelogger camera without our cloud based software program.
USE OF KICKSTARTER FUNDS
With the funds coming from your Kickstarter pledges we will be able to finish the product development process we started over 1 year ago. The funds will go towards tooling, PCB development, Extensive Testing, Firmware development as well as producing the actual units, packaging and shipping. As well, we will be adding an additional 5 more hardware and software specialists. Currently we are negotiating with two Taiwan based companies to produce the device and we are in final stages of that process. We believe the Kickstarter backers will get great rewards for their pledges! Our first mass production run is anticipated to be sometime in October - November 2014.
Here are dates that we believe are milestones in the production/delivery process and timeline:
TIMELINE TO DELIVERY
In the Media
Risks and challenges
Developing a new wearable digital camera has proven to be a very difficult task, both in terms of design, components and size. Our team has welcomed the challenge and thus far designed an amazing prototype.
With the help of the Kickstarter community, together, we can finish the Lifelogger Camera and enter into mass production in late 2014.
As with any project there are many risks for delays and obstacles which we may not have foreseen. To date, we have had many delays and obstacles on our way but we overcame it every time and we are determined to finish LifeLogger project in 2014.
The primary risks include:
1) Because LifeLogger wearable camera is so small, we use miniature components. Even though we have close contact with our suppliers, we are not in control of their actions. Every component is highly integrated into and optimized within the design, and an unforeseen component change or unavailability can delay our delivery date.
2) The Asian Manufacturers who we are working with on this project could take longer time to deliver the services and products they promised. This is outside of our control and could delay the project.
3) Work with the design firm to complete a new design based on ergonomics and decide upon final materials for headpiece and camera might lead to increase in the size of the final product compared to current prototype.
4) Delivering a camera with all the components we have in the prototype is challenging for mass production. Our in house engineers have worked with many chip manufacturers over the last 12 months to deliver the best possible device. Having GPS and WIFI working side by side is challenging
5) Our software is near completion and integration to the cloud underway. Still there are tweaks and changes to be made to software to make it work at a level we are happy with.
The Lifelogger internal and external teams are working hard to deliver the final hardware and software products complete and working seamlessly. Challenges are ahead of us but we have a firm plan of action that we are confident of completion on time.
Together with the Kickstarter community backing us we are excited to be bringing you our Lifelogger Camera in 2014!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (49 days)