About this project
We're entering the final hours of the campaign, but if you're just now tuning in, here's a run-down of what we've been able to accomplish so far!
- Three bonus comic pages have been added to the book and the online launch, for a total of seven pages for everyone to read as soon as TCF starts!
- The book has been expanded from 32 pages to 36, and there will be gold foil stamping on the cover.
- A 1" Kickstarter-exclusive pin and a bookmark have been added to all tiers of $25 and up.
- A sticker sheet, a second 1" button, and an additional two 5 x 7 prints have been added to all tiers of $35 and up.
- An antiqued brass and enamel luna bee pin has been added to all tiers $45 and up.
- A high-resolution PDF booklet of paper dolls and costume art for all tiers.
I will also be offering a PayPal option for a limited time after the campaign has ended! A special shop will be launched Saturday evening, and those who cannot use Kickstarter will be able to pledge through that! Not all options will be available, as the higher tiers were meant to be very limited, but anyone who uses this method will have a chance at all the physical and digital rewards.
Any funds acquired through the PayPal shop will also be added to the total project tally with regards to reaching stretch goals, so even if the campaign ends up just shy of the next one, there's still a chance we might make it!
Thanks so much for your ongoing support.
One hundred years before the main story takes place, the towers of an ancient ruin high atop the tallest mountain mysteriously sprang to life, spewing clouds into the valley below, resulting in decades of devastating rain and floods.
The Cloud Factory follows the parallel efforts of two young protagonists, a tinker-smith and a latent witch, as they try to change the fate of their home and its people.
If you like magic, mysterious ancient technology, and the repeated exposure of young characters to great peril, The Cloud Factory is a comic for you.
The goal of this Kickstarter is to publish a high quality, soft cover, 6" x 9" art book, which will include at least four complete comic pages, by July 1st, 2013*.
This Volume Zero book will contain 32 full-color pages, and the comic pages will also be available to read online for free on http://www.cloudfactorycomics.com. After July 1st, it will update one page at a time on a regular schedule, like most webcomics, until the story is complete.
*PDF only. Physical books are scheduled to begin shipping in September.
While the Volume Zero book is the centerpiece of this Kickstarter, I'm offering a full range of other exciting backer incentives!
Even the lowest reward tiers get you a PDF of Volume Zero, as well as other digital swag like official TCF music and wallpapers. Physical rewards include a copy of the book, prints, limited edition book plates, and artist edition books (with some sweet stretch goal unlockables), while the truly daring can back more influentially by naming in-comic features and making cameo appearances!
The more you give, the more I give back! Anything earned beyond the initial goal will enable me to offer improved books, extra swag, and more content. As more stretch goals are met, more will be unlocked!
- 10k - A 1" Kickstarter-exclusive button for all tiers of $25 and up - MET
- 15k - An additional comic page completed by the goal date for the book and site - MET
- 20k - A sticker sheet for all tiers of $35 and up - MET
- 30k - Two additional comic pages completed by the goal date for the book and site. BONUS: +50 ARCHIVIST tier slots! - MET
- 45k - An antiqued brass and enamel luna bee lapel pin for all tiers of $45 and up. BONUS: +50 PATRON tier slots! - MET
- 50k - Three additional comic pages completed by the goal date for the book and site. BONUS: Book length will increase to 36 pages! - MET
- 60k - Print pack expansion! An additional two prints to tiers $35 and up. BONUS: +2 MAGE and APOTHECARY tier slots! - MET
- 65k (NEW) - A bookmark for all tiers of $25 and up, +50 PATRON tier slots! - MET
- 70k (NEW) - A new 1" button for all tiers of $35 and up - MET!
- 75k (NEW) - A high resolution PDF booklet of printable dress-up paper dolls featuring main and supporting characters - MET
- 80k - Cover will include gold foil stamping - MET!
- 90k - NEW! Another 1" button for tiers $25 and up AND a sixth 5 x 7 print for tiers $35 and up!
- 100k - FOUR additional comic pages completed by goal date, doubling the total number of pages at launch!
I've been writing and developing material for The Cloud Factory in my free time over the course of over two years. From this, I've accumulated enough content to create a book, but I don't have the time or funds to lay it out and get it published.
As a freelance artist, I have to spend most of my time creating art for other people to get by. It's an awesome job, but it doesn't leave much time for personal projects, and I can't afford to work less. A successful Kickstarter would give me the freedom I need to make this book happen.
Music by James Roach http://hames.bandcamp.com/
Risks and challenges
Alexandra Douglass has been a professional illustrator delivering high quality digital art and physical prints to clients and customers all over the world since 2010. She's done work for high profile companies such as Penny Arcade, Atlus USA, Fantasy Flight Games, and What Pumpkin. Alexandra was an in-house product and packaging designer for two years before that, for which she also designed and laid out her employer's first catalog; expertise that has carried over to her small business.
All printing and manufacturing vendors have been thoroughly vetted for quality and timeliness of delivery.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes! I will be launching a special shop front after the campaign is over where you can use PayPal to make a pledge. The upper level tiers that are sold out will not be available, as they were meant to be very limited, but you'll be able to get any of the unlimited tiers under $100 (Storyteller, Minstrel, Librarian, Herald), as well as small quantities of the limited tiers (Patron, Archivist, Collector).
Further details on this will be posted towards the end of the campaign.
Because I may end up creating new art for the book, I haven't made my final selections yet. I will update the main page with the chosen pieces when that decision is made.
The artist edition includes a hand-drawn sketch in the cover, making each edition one-of-a-kind! The regular book has no unique modifications.
Support this project
- (30 days)