For those who don't want to scroll to the bottom of the page, the free preview game can be found here: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=87785
Otherwise, read on...
Mystic Empyrean is an ambitious Role-Playing Game that turns all the conventions of a typical RPG on their head. Players participate in the creation of a world and of each others' characters through revolutionary GM-less play. Here are a few of the many things that make Mystic Empyrean unique among RPGs...
- Empyrean uses story prompts and randomized cues to bring the world you create to life. Define a few simple aspects of the places you wish to visit, and the game will leverage the creativity of your group to flesh out details. Players discover worlds by exploring them, rather than doing excessive amounts of out-of-game planning.
- Player characters are Eidolons--Immortal forces of nature who wear their souls as skin. What does this mean? It means that the way you act in-character determines the powers you develop. Play a resourceful character and develop the power to reshape the earth to suit your needs. Play an insecure character and gain the ability to hide behind an ever-expanding collection of masks. Each Eidolon's traits will change them in different ways. What will you become?
- Powers develop via roleplaying rather than stat allocation. Rather than spending points and gaining levels and grinding EXP, Mystic Empyrean uses a system of Peer-Review Roleplaying to level up characters. The other players at your table will decide which personality traits were brought out by your actions, and thus what powers you will develop. This forces players to move outside their comfort zone and try out new character traits in order to gain the abilities they want.
- Players build the world. Mystic Empyrean leverages the imaginations of all the players at the table to create an ever-growing world. The book contains an entire chapter dedicated to explaining and inspiring players as to how they can create the world and integrate its different parts. Explore technologies, governments, and cultures taken to fantastic conclusions, and adapt them into your own creations.
- Resolution is based on the world you create. A resolution system called the Balance serves two purposes--on the one hand, it determines the success or failure of the tasks your Eidolons undertake; on the other, it is also used to generate treasures, encounters, npcs, and plot twists to build your story with. Since the composition of the Balance and the way it is interpreted are both based on the world you create, different realms will support different stories and problems will require different strategies to solve.
- Players Build the Game. Why stop at just creating worlds? Mystic Empyrean contains optional game systems like summoning, item crafting, geomancy, and alchemy to customize the game the way you want it to play. The flexible Balance system allows you to make your world operate on as simple or as complex a rule set as you wish.
- There is no dedicated GM. Players instead work together to build up encounters from simple story cues, and resolution is accomplished round-robin style, with no player dedicated to controlling the enemies or the world. Thus, all players are free to participate in the game.
- Epic High Fantasy that puts you in control of the world. Because the player characters are immortal and vastly powerful, the game shifts its focus from the mundane goal of acquiring power and treasure and instead asks about the use that power will be put to. How will you reshape the world and solve its problems? What kind of worlds will you create, and what surprises will they hold? You might even discover a few things about yourself along the way.
- Integrated Community to share your creations and explore others' creations. What's an ever-growing world without new frontiers to explore? All players have access to the Mystic Empyrean community website, where they can manage campaigns, share resources, and create new aspects of the world.
Mystic Empyrean has been in the process of being written since Summer of 2010, and is almost complete. We've spent tons of money on art and design, but are unsure what size print run to produce and how reception will be to such a radical new game. The plan is to use the money from this Kickstarter project to create an initial print run of the corebook, its size based roughly on the number of people and amount of interest generated here. Here's a little information about the book we want to produce:
- Casewrap Hardcover
- Approximately 170 pages in full color
- Contains nearly 100 (99, to be exact) incredible full color illustrations from lead artist Katrina Lin and supporting artist Lorie Hetrick, as well as maps by Devin Night.
If you're not sure what you think about Mystic Empyrean yet, I encourage you to check out the free downloadable preview game:
- At DriveThruRPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=87785
If you're the kind who likes physical copies, you can order one to hold in your hands (also in gorgeous full-color). The preview game gives you a taste of trait-based character advancement, GM-less play, and the sort of encounters and gameplay you can expect in Empyrean. Try it and see if you like it, and make the informed choice.
Thanks for taking the time to read all this, and I hope you're looking forward to Mystic Empyrean later this year!
- (30 days)