Our biggest Halloween anthology ever!
Each year, Popcorn Press celebrates Halloween by publishing an anthology of horror poetry and short fiction. We hold an open call for submissions starting on Oct. 1 and by Oct. 31 have an ebook published and files to the printer for a physical book.
Previous years have produced Vampyr Verse, The Hungry Dead, Halloween Haiku, Cthulhu Haiku, Cthulhu Haiku II, and Halloween Haiku II. This year, the title is Zen of the Dead—as shown in the prototype cover above.
This is your chance to get a great deal on the new book, while at the same time supporting the writers. As before, we've set our Kickstarter goal at just $31 to show our own dedication to making this book.
Call for Submissions
One of the things we love about Halloween is that people are willing to "dress up." So even if you've never thought of yourself as a poet or short-story author, why not give it a chance?
Send your submissions via the "Contact Me" link in the sidebar of this page. Accepted submissions will earn:
- $1 per half page they fill (we give each haiku or other short poem half a page—longer works get more space);
- 1 free copy of the ebook; and
- "Author" status at PopcornPress.com (with special pricing on most items).
Submission grants Popcorn Press the right to publish the work in the book. All other rights are retained by the author.
And yes, we will consider works previously published elsewhere. (No simultaneous submissions, please.)
What We're Looking for . . .
- Fiction: Short stories dealing with Halloween or horror in general are welcome. We're generally more impressed by great mood pieces than by gore.
- Poetry: We're suckers for good formal prose, but free verse will also be considered. Given the "zen" of the title, we're especially interested in well-crafted haiku, senryu, tanka, lunes, and sijo. We also love cleverly written sonnets. Experimental forms are also welcome.
For further insight, we recommend you read our president's blog post about "The GUP Method for Creative Writing." And note that if a piece strikes us as genuine and unique, we're happy to work with you on polish.
Deadline for submissions is Oct. 23. You do not have to be a backer to submit writing.
Add $1 to your pledge for an ebook version of any title from previous years.
Add $13 to your pledge for a print version of any title from previous years.
When backer questionnaires are sent at the end of this Kickstarter, we'll ask which specific titles you want. (And you're free to buy multiple copies of any title, of course.)
Here's the list to choose from:
Risks and challenges
We've done a Halloween project six times before, three times as a Kickstarter, and the new cover is already nearly finished. Our main concern, as always, is receiving enough submissions to make a book. That's where you come in: send us your best work and help spread the word!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)