This is your chance to get a Kickstarter-exclusive copy of the game, with bonus settings included, for a special price! After the Kickstarter, the main book and bonus settings will be sold separately. It's also your opportunity for specialty dice!
Did you miss the Kickstarter? Visit www.corerpg.com to learn how you can be involved after this party is over.
- Join our Countdown Party online Aug. 2, 10 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. CST!
- Dice and cards are available world-wide as add-ons.
- Pledge levels now get twice the dice!
- 160 pages unlocked!
View a draft of the rules here.
- Read playtester testimonials here.
- Listen to playtest recordings here.
Create a Character
The d6xd6 CORE RPG centers on a quick-and-easy system for generating characters for any setting in five minutes or less.
Just pick a name, gender, and age. Then choose one personal attribute—Brawn, Grace, Wits, or Will—to be your strength and one to be your weakness.
Next, declare an occupation—any occupation you can imagine—to serve as your main skill. Then choose up to eight secondary skills from a list of 15 to 20, depending on the setting.
Find Your Focus
Add up your number of skills, plus one for occupation, and the total is your Focus number, the only number you’ll need in the game. Characters with just a few skills are very "Focused," which improves their success with those things. Characters with many skills are less "Focused" in any, but they have a better “Jack of All Trades” chance when trying unknown skills.
Fight It Out
Layered onto this central set of rules is a fast, tactical combat system that can be played either as pure storytelling or with map and miniatures.
Explore Countless Worlds
As a final layer, you can choose any setting, representing three dozen worlds so far from more than 30 professional authors. (More authors are waiting in the wings, finalizing details with their publishers.)
Each setting chapter will provide its own skill list, from fantasy magic to starship piloting to ghostly powers, along with any special rules for creatures in that world, as well as an example adventure.
The CORE RPG is a great system for one-off adventures, but it also stands up well to campaign play. A draft of the main rules is online at www.corerpg.com, where you can also find my game-design credentials.
The purpose of this Kickstarter is to pay authors of the settings chapters, plus an illustrator and editor, and to fund print copies of the book. The game will also be available in multiple ebook formats.
The more stretch goals we reach, the more settings will be included, and we also have some special electronic rewards planned, which will be revealed later.
So please, scan the backer levels in the right sidebar, pick something that appeals to you, and spread the word to all your friends. The better our success, the more everyone will receive for their backing.
And if you have any other favorite authors whose worlds you’d like to see included, please point them our way. We’d love to provide an opportunity to role-play in their settings too. Thanks!
$1 - Basic Success - UNLOCKED!
The one buck minimum is just a placeholder. We're committed to publishing at least a 64-page set of core rules with four settings:
- "Anthill" – Lewis Anderson: sci-fi adventure in a telepathic underground society
- "Blood Type" – J.A. & K8 Smith: a dystopian future in which your blood type affects your fate
- "Ghost of a Chance" – Lester Smith: play the ghosts of people dead before their time
- "Dragon Dice" – The World of Esfah: fantasy adventure in SFR, Inc.’s Dragon Dice world (playable with actual Dragon Dice)
$2,500 - Fantasy Pack - UNLOCKED!
At this level, we'll bump the book to 88 pages and include four special fantasy settings:
- Dragon Kings – An ancient desert world depicted in text, art, and music, by Timothy Brown
- Shotguns & Sorcery – A gritty noir fantasy trilogy, by Matt Forbeck
- Calidar – A moon world in whose skies ships sail, by Bruce Heard
- Watershed – A unique fantasy setting in which a mountain range divides pure water from rivers of magic and of evil, by Douglas Niles
$4,000 Mini Goal - Character Sheet - UNLOCKED!
$5,000 Sci-Fi Pack - UNLOCKED!
At this level, the book will be 112 pages and include four unique science-fiction settings:
- Touchstone – A dimension-walking series in which a girl from Earth becomes the key to human survival, by Andrea K Höst
- Critical Dawn – A tale in which archaeological discoveries at the Lost Colony of Roanoke lead to an alien invasion of Earth, by Wearmouth & Barnes
- Citizen in the Temple – A film of one man's struggle in a dystopic future to save the outcast woman he loves, by Jason Huls
- Artificial Evil – a fast-paced cyberpunk tale of a man trying to escape the death lottery, by Colin F. Barnes
$6,000 Mini Goal - More Character Sheets - UNLOCKED!
$7,500 - Horror Pack - UNLOCKED!
At this level, the book will grow to 136 pages and include four chilling horror settings:
The Ancient – A fast-paced trilogy of Babylonian demons reawakening in modern New Jersey, by Matthew Bryan Laube
Fear the Light – A tale in which Dracula's children seek to solve his murder before they too perish, by William Massa
- Peter and the Monsters – A marvelous series about young Peter, living with his spooky grandfather, and facing countless monsters in the process, by Darren Pillsbury
- Zombie West Trilogy – A Wild West story of love, family, and survival in the face of a plague of zombies, by Angela Scott
$8,000 Mini Goal - Twice the Character Sheets - UNLOCKED!
The Basic Goal and packs above are only a start! We've lots more settings planned once those are reached. Each new setting adds six pages to the book.
UNLOCKED! – $9,000 Mini Goal – Printable Posters! At this level, all backers will receive a free high-resolution poster-sized file of the game cover AND of the Blood Type cover, suitable for printing at your local photo shop or drug store! (We've had good success with Staples and Walgreen's, for example.)
UNLOCKED! – $9,500 Mini Goal – Judy of the Jungle & Newshounds #1: For backers at the $21 "Paper Pal" level and above, Steve Miller of Neulow Games has offered a free PDF of both Judy of the Jungle: Murder Goes Native and Newshounds #1, the first published products to include d6xd6 CORE RPG stats!
UNLOCKED! – $10,000 – Gargoyle Knight: An ancient Celtic king who sacrificed everything to save the world from gargoyles, by becoming one, awakens in modern New York to carry on the fight, by William Massa.
$15,625 – Chambers & Chimaeras*: Help He-Darr the Barbellian battle the evil Skele-Mat in this tongue-in-cheek pastiche of 1980's Saturday morning cartoons, by Lester Smith. (*Yes, it's mispronounced.)
$18,500 – Brothers Barbarian: Join dimwitted brothers Art and Russ in comedy adventure based on the laugh-out-loud Web video series starring fantasy legends Margaret Weis and Larry Elmore, among others, by Ken Whitman.
$20,000 – A surprise package yet to be announced!
You asked, and we listened! We're now able to accept orders for promotional dice, commissioned character illustrations, and CORE RPG-related Dragon Dice packs.
- To include these items with a new pledge, simply choose a backer level from the right sidebar and add the appropriate amount to your pledge value.
- To add them to a previous pledge, click "Manage Your Pledge" atop the right sidebar, and add the appropriate amount to your pledge value.
In either case, you will be able to indicate your exact add-on choices when the backer surveys are sent at the project's end date.
A. CORE RPG Dice & Fanged Smiley Dice
$3 per die, shipping included, worldwide!
B. Dragon Dice Two-Pack
$20 per two-pack. The Dragon Dice setting in the book includes rules for using a d8 (terrain) die and a d4 (magic item) die in place of the normal d6xd6. We've made a deal with SFR, Inc. to offer you a Battlefields box (terrains) and a Battle Chest box (magic items) for $20 total, with shipping included for US backers—a savings of more than $5 off the normal price.
Customers outside the US please add $10 for added shipping costs.
For other Dragon Dice packages, please visit the SFR, Inc. Web site.
C. Commissioned Character Illo in the Book
$95 per illustration, by your choice of professional artists Len Peralta, Otakatt, or Lenka Šimečková. This price both places your character illustration in the book and provides you a separate hi-resolution image for your own computer desktop, Web page, and printer.
D. Business Card "Character Sheets"
Risks and challenges
Every Kickstarter project has its challenges. We've succeeded with five others over the past two years and know how to bring them to a satisfactory conclusion.
The one new challenge we face with this project is managing the writing of three dozen very busy creative people. But we're confident in a December delivery date—ideally even earlier.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (26 days)