*July 25, 2015, 2:54pm: New updates! Scroll down for "Stretch Goals" and audio previews!
My name is Leoncarlo. I'm a violinist based in the charming city of Denton, TX. I've been playing music for a little over 20 years, adopting a personal mission to find my voice within this powerful art form. During my undergrad at UNT, I had a full schedule performing with the different university orchestras, ensembles, and lab bands, while also doing professional session work with orchestras, touring bands, and other groups. Soon all of my time became devoted to performing, sessions, and touring.
Then in early 2013, everything changed. My grandmother, Lily, passed away. I was on tour with my old band, Seryn, in Colorado. As we drove through those giant snow capped mountains, I felt so displaced and insignificant. Suddenly I realized how fleeting our time on earth is. In honor of her memory, I returned to the practice room and began to write music again. Eventually, I had 4 good songs, and decided to release an EP in 2014.
But I didn't stop there...
Over the last year, I've continued to develop some of the songs from my 2014 EP, combining them with other ideas, some of which I've been carrying for nearly a decade. And so now, here I am in the process of developing a full length album.
The core sound of my work was developed in front of live audiences at various shows over the last two years*. I've taken these recordings to my personal studio, and have been working on mixing and producing the album in house. The album currently stand at 35:35, and is nearing completion. Here is an unmastered sample:
After all my work, I've come to realize that I can't complete this album to the high level of quality that it deserves, without my community. And so, I'm humbly reaching out to you. Will you join me?
We can do it!
In order to finish the album, I need to raise at least $5,000. The money will go towards vital things like: album art & design, audio mastering, manufacturing, and distribution. (More on that soon. Keep checking back for updates as we reach the goal!)
In exchange for your support, I'm happy to offer up different exciting rewards to match your contribution. Please check them out! Hopefully you'll find an incentive that works for you.
After we reach $5,000, I have some exciting ideas in mind for the extra money. Some of these stretch goals would include things like adding more music to the album, funding a music video, funding tours, and more. Fingers crossed! (More updates about this later.)
Spread the word!
The best way to help me out, of course, is to fund my project right now. But beyond that, an extremely effective way that you can help me, is to personally message my Kickstarter page to 2 or 3 good friends who really love music.
*Special thanks to Heath Gage from the Granada Theater in Dallas, and Jay Simon from Sofar Sounds DFW
**More special thanks to Tyson Adams for his crowdfunding wisdom, Sam Martinez for his audio guidance, and Daniel Routh for his film making knowledge.
***Extra special thanks to my family, friends, and sweet girlfriend, Nika Potts, for always being supportive. I love you guys.
**** This Kickstarter closes on August 22, 2015 at 11:59PM CDT
- Updates -
WE DID IT! 100% funded on July 25, 2015 with 28 days to go!
Read on to learn more about stretch goals, and listen to previews from the album.
- $6,000 - NEW SINGLE - Stream it and share it with a few friends. I'll eventually add this new track to the album!
- $7,500 - MUSIC VIDEO - I know some cool folks who will help me create a stunning music video if we reach this amount! I can't dance like Lindsey Stirling (or kick as high), but I know this piece will move you.
- $8,000 - GUEST MUSICIANS - Many of my good friends are also incredible musicians from around the world, whom I have a great deal of respect for. Reaching this stretch goal affords me the ability to record some of these talented folks as guest musicians on the album. Get excited.
- $11,000 - SHORT FILM - I believe in music's power as an art form to unite and inspire a community. The idea for this prize is to reach out to a handful of talented filmmakers, and create a short film based on the album's concept.
- $1,000,000 - POTATO SALAD - I will make a delicious potato salad. Mayo, potato, etc.
Risks and challenges
- As you may know, if Kickstarter projects do not meet at least 100% of their funding goal, then all pledged amounts are immediately refunded to the backers, and the project gets NOTHING. So it's very important that this project reaches $5,000.
- Reward delivery dates are mostly dependent on the album's completion. Completing an album is hard work, and I have a full time job. But I give you my word that I will deliver, to the best of my ability! Look for my contact info on this page if you have any questions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)