NOTE: **ALL 3D MODELS, ART, AND TEXTURES ARE PLACEHOLDERS AND NOT INDICATIVE OF THE FINAL RELEASE VERSION. THIS IS MERELY A TECH DEMO.**
Check out the full trailer on Youtube in 1080p: http://youtu.be/0k-D5QA5yH8
Vote for us on Steam Greenlight!
Renden is a game about adventure, leveling, exploration, building, and crafting, and gathering in a unique fantasy setting. The game has been in part-time development for over a year and is the culmination of more than two year's worth of a design and planning. We're gamers at heart and want to bring you what we think would be an amazingly fun game to play.
- The game will be a 3D RPG with Sandbox and Crafting elements. Think Castlevania: SOTN meets Old School NES RPG / Telnet MUD and Terraria, crammed into a 3D world in a 2D side-scroller, with a custom RPG system. (phew!)
- Support for: PC, Linux, and Mac.
- Distributed by DRM-free download. Backers will also receive a Steam key once we're funded and on Greenlight.
Renden starts out with the player having a few tools and a simple weapon. The game takes place in a procedurally generated 3D world. The player fights monsters, levels up and is able to customize their character through a skill tree that allows a person to pick from a melee, a ranged, or a caster style build. In addition to the fighting and RPG system, there is an advanced crafting system in place to allow for item construction, weapons, armor, and many more things. Buildings can be created and filled with numerous items that can be found or made from resources in the world.
The ultimate goal is to explore, gather, craft, fight, level up, and conquer the world in a quest to put the world back together, and to stop the chaos version that split from the real world from taking over. The player does this by progressing through the world and elemental realms and dungeons that are available to them and eventually gaining enough power and equipment to fix the world by completing the Chaos world.
Full 3D Models / World / Assets: Everything is 3D, no 2D sprites here!
- Normal and Chaos worlds to explore, each with unique resources, monsters, and crafting.
- Elemental Realms: In addition to the Chaos world, you can open pocket realms to any of the six elemental magic realms: Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life, and Death. These operate similar to how the instanced dungeons work, you craft an item and a portal can be opened, these can be returned to, finished, and new portals can be crafted to start in a fresh realm.
- Classless system: Abilities are based off your choices from a varied skill tree; you pick how you want to play.
- Ability Based Attack System: Fireball and using a Sword? Flaming Sword! Iceblast and a Bow? Ice Arrows!
- Instanced dungeons and pocket realms means players can spawn new dungeons and realms at any time, meaning infinite replay-ability!
- Diverse Biomes: Mountains, Forests, Deserts, Plains, Swamps, and many more!
- Fully destructible world with multiple world sizes and custom seed generation (share maps with your friends!)
- Structure building: Player housing, outposts, etc
- Item crafting: Unique system that makes use of all tiers of materials. Unique upgrade system, items enhancements and more.
- Tons of other great ideas! Check out our stretch goals for other possibilities and help us turn our dream into a reality!
One of the most frustrating things that a gamer can experience, is playing a game that you desperately want to fully love and enjoy, but can't due to the missing aspects of that game. We want to find a way to change that by giving our players a voice.
We're going to try something new, and I hope you're as excited as we are for this! Every Friday, we're going to start a thread on our General Suggestions & Feedback forum and gather ideas. That following Monday, we will pick the top voted-idea and implement that into the final version of the game. In addition, if our Kickstarter is successful, we will pick one idea from the forum each month (until the Beta release of the game) to add to the completed version of the game (within reason, code-ability, and final judgment of our development team, of course). We plan to continue this trend even after the final version of the game has been launched, since giving our players a voice is incredibly important to us!
You read that right -- the community gets to decide on 4 things that will make it into the final version of the game during the Kickstarter and a ton more during the development cycle and beyond. Get your friends and family to vote. Have them post ideas. Tell everyone you know that they get a chance to put their very own idea into an upcoming game!
We believe that the core idea and game is in itself a solid foundation to start with. We have come up with a bunch of different ideas that we'd like to implement into the game before release, but won't be able to do that under the base funding goal. If we can hit these stretch goals then we can include a bunch more awesome features and game play elements. (Unlock a stretch goal tier to see the next set!)
- $50,000 - Base Game!
- $60,000 - Advanced Biomes - More advanced biomes like lava fields, oceans, taigas, tundras, graveyards and so on.
- $70,000 - Chaos & Elemental Invasions - Get ready to defend against waves of twisted elemental and chaotic fiends hellbent on your destruction!
- $80,000 - ?? ?? ??
- $?? ??? - Multiplayer (Co-op & PVP)
We are also going to offer additional add-ons. If you pledge more than a tier's amount, you have to option to specify the following additional add-ons. Have it your way and control what you get!
- $2 - (1) Sticker of your choice: Chaos Portal, Fire Portal, Water Portal, Earth Portal, Air Portal, Life Portal, Death Portal, Renden Logo, Charging Llama Logo
- $3 - (1) Magnet of your choice: Same as stickers
- $10 - Additional Digital copy of the Game (Release Day)
- $10 - Pack of 7 Stickers
- $15 - Pack of 7 Magnets
- $20 - T-shirt with Renden Logo, Charging Llama Logo, or any Portal (Look for an update on the designs)
We have an extremely talented musician working with us on our music and are excited to share some of the pre-alpha songs he's provided. We plan on including at least another half dozen songs, along with the finalized game music, and making all of these available as a downloadable soundtrack for the alpha and higher tiers. Below are a mix of some songs of varying styles to be used throughout the game.
You're probably asking yourself, "Where is all that money going to go?" We mainly need models and art, and then to finalize our sounds and music. We need to finish designing the encounters, quests, and design work as well as finish programming. Our initial release plan is to be a single-player game but if we hit our stretch goal we will change gears and make it a multi-player game. A breakdown is provided below.
Q: Where can I find more information?
A: You can visit our website at: http://www.renden.org Be sure to check out the forums if you want to start up a discussion or chat with the developers.
Q: Why use Kickstarter?
A: So far the game development has been part-time for over a year and we'd like to devote our full attention to it. We also need to hire someone to create and design the sounds and work on the more complex models and textures. We're also using free licenses for Unity and would like to use some of the advanced imaging features available in Unity Pro (shadows, lighting, HDR, bloom, tonemapping, linear color space, and more).
Q: When will the game be available?
A: We plan on releasing our Alpha build in November 2015 followed by a Beta build in January 2016, with the full retail release in March 2016. Our total time frame is a year for the final version, but that may come sooner depending on funding.
Q: Woah, those blocks look awesome!
A: They do indeed! Instead of a standard square block we've got our code setup to allow for a vertex offset, what you see in the video is an offset of 0.1, we can go all the way down to 0.0 (perfectly square) and up to 0.5 (super jagged). We plan on using lower numbers for man-made blocks and things like sand and higher numbers for things like stone or ores.
Q: What about consoles?
A: Since Unity3D supports Xbox One, PS4, and the WiiU it's something that could be done, but there are the licensing fees and developing a control scheme for consoles. Look for these to possibly show up in our stretch goals.
Q: You mention that it's going to be single-player only, why no multi-player?
A: This is our first full-release game and we feel that focusing on a single-player game will yield the best results for the base amount we're asking for. If we hit our multi-player stretch goal then we will change gears and add that in as well. (Keep an eye out for this stretch goal in the third tier!)
Q: How big are the worlds going to be?
A: We plan on having a Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Huge size option. Nothings set in stone, so based on feedback these might change. Since we're using perlin and simplex models for generating the world it can go on forever in all directions so we definitely want to leverage that in our map, dungeon, and pocket realm sizes.
Risks and challenges
We are confident in our abilities and skills to bring forth a beautiful and fun to play game. We've been playing games since the early 80s, across every possibly genre. We believe we can make this game, and make it well.
We already have the ground work for the engine, world generation, placeholder models, animations, basic crafting system, talents, and many more things setup. It's just a matter of finalizing everything and putting polish to what we have, and finishing what we don't have. With your help we can push forward and commit our full time and effort to making the game as best as we can.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (33 days)