About this project
The 500 Series Electric Bike Kit is twice the power of our 250 Series Electric Bike Conversion Kit. It is a fully integrated high power electric system that completely brings your bike to life and transforms how you interact with the environment. It is the most simple 500 Watt ebike kit available for the lowest price imaginable. The 500 Series sets the standard for high performance kits and disrupts the electric bike market. Since the introduction of the Five Minute E-Bike Kit here on Kickstarter, LEED has sold thousands of our 250 Series Electric Bike Kit and received countless requests to offer a ebikekit with even more power and speed. You demanded more and we listened.
Transform your ride with a simple installation and optional features that are included with all our kits.
For the 500 Series we returned to our manufacturers with our needs and collaborated to bring the best of various features into one single electric bicycle kit for half the cost of our competitors' offering using our new proprietary battery management system and controller integrated into simple housing. This, combined with powerful brands like Samsung, Panasonic, Sanyo and 8Fun, give your bike super powers.
*Note: All rewards ship February 2016 - Reward #3 should state "February" not March.
The 500 Series Kit Includes:
- Fully Laced and Trued Wheel Set
- 500 Watt 8Fun Planetary Motor
- Cabling for All Components
- Flexroute Universal Cable Guides
- V12 Pedal Assist Sensor (PAS)
- KM-SS LCD Computer (Velocity, Battery Power, Travel Time, 5 PAS Levels)
- 36 Volt Samsung Li-ion Battery System (11000mAh Tube or 13000mAh Rear-Mount)*
- Weatherproof Tube or Rear-Mount Battery Housing
- Lithium Battery Charger (USA/International 110-240v)
- Rear Carrier Frame for the Rear-Mount Housing
- Proprietary Battery Management System (BMS)
- Variable Thumb Throttle
- Front Torque Bracket Arm
- Battery Housing Keys
- Installation Instructions
- Limited Warranty
...and if the tube or rear battery setup does not work with your bike, you can add a weatherproof LEED frame bag from our website and secure the tube battery inside.
WE CHOSE A PLANETARY GEARED MOTOR FOR TWO REASONS:
1) A geared motor creates greater torque for starting motion and for climbing hills. There is not a better motor system for hill climbing and immediate power when starting a ride.
2) A geared electric bike motor is free-spinning which does not create any resistance when you pedal without the battery engaged. This is particularly important for times when you want to ride without the extra speed and power or if a battery runs out on a longer ride and you still need to pedal in order to arrive to your destination.
So what are people's first impressions?
STRETCH GOALS REACHED!
$25k - Black rims/spokes now available!
$30k - Rear wheel kits now available!
We will email you at the end of the project requesting your specifications for rear/front wheel and rim/spoke colors.
What are my reward options?
OPTION 1: 500 Watt TUBE-MOUNT BATTERY KIT
OPTION 2: 500 Watt REAR-MOUNT BATTERY KIT
OPTION 3: 350 Watt TUBE-MOUNT BATTERY KIT
*Add $25 to your reward if you would like us to add a tube and urban tire.
We have been in business almost three years now and continue to deliver on our promises since our first electric bicycle conversion kit Kickstarter with high quality electric bike kits and outstanding customer service. We intend to deliver on time and as promised with this kit. We are a year into the bike motor kit development and not only provide the best high quality electric bike kits on the market at affordable prices, but also follow through always supporting our customers every step of the way. But don't take our word for it, see what our customers have said about us and our 250 Series kits that were introduced in 2013 right here on Kickstarter.
- Kickstarter Campaign - 29 September to 3 November 2015
- Submit Estimated Orders to Manufacturers in Germany, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Chosin - Before 4 November 2015
- Manufacturers' Deliveries to Utah Warehouse - Between December 15 and 31, 2015
- Build Wheels and Complete Kits for Shipping - Between December 15, 2015 and January 31, 2016
- Ship the 1st 50 Orders - by January 25, 2016
- Ship the 2nd 50 Orders - by February 15, 2016
To bring the 500 Series Kit to market, we need your help! Follow our electric bike blog for fun stories and e-bike facts. Getting the word out there is extremely important to help us make this happen. Our mission is to help clean the environment and reconnect with biking. An electric bike is THE SOLUTION to achieve this. Only you can make that happen! A tweet goes a long way...
Risks and challenges
We have been building electric bike kits for three years now and have learned a thing or two about delivery. One of the things we have learned is that manufacturing and shipping partners can have delays. We have prepared for these delays in the following ways:
1. We have worked out an agreement with two of our manufacturers to begin production once we hit our funding requirement. This will allow us to begin production before the end of the project to get ahead of schedule. We have been working with these manufacturers for three years now and have a unique relationship which allows us to begin ahead of schedule. This is the type of relationship that includes visits to overseas factories and continuous texts about our kids and families. They are our partners in this enterprise and they work hard to keep our relationships strong.
2. We will have our shipments sent ahead of schedule so that if there are any delays at the Los Angeles port it will not effect our timeline. A delay of 25 days in shipping and manufacturing will still allow us to ship our orders on time.
3. We have seven certified wheel builders that are prepared to work overtime building our wheels and preparing the kits at our warehouse in Utah so that if a shipment arrives late, we can still get all our orders out the door on time.
For full disclosure, we were late shipping our Five Minute E-Bike Kit orders by one and two months here on Kickstarter. This was unfortunate for our backers and we learned a great deal about the manufacturing and shipping process through the experience. Our manufacturer that created the delay is no longer a manufacturer for us. Our frame bags caused a delay and we have changed manufacturing to another partner, but that is not part of this project anyway. We have also included time in planning for delays, but it is our intent to ship and deliver early on this project.
Since our first project we have sold thousands of the 250 Series Electric Bike Kit and have learned a thing or two in the process. The greatest thing we have learned is to prepare for the unexpected and be ready to work overtime if the unexpected occurs. We look forward to timely delivery and we are prepared to overcome any obstacles we face in the challenge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)