Our Kickstarter has ended! Thank you for backing the World's Smallest Post Service and for keeping the art of handwritten letters alive. If you missed our Kickstarter and are looking for the tiny mail kit, you can find it here:
==============================================================***We are SO close to the stretch goal!Close enough? Okay, yes. We'll call it good and include the colorful stationery (and extra closure stickers) with each reward shipment!
***Read Full Updates: #1 | #2
***Stretch Goal @ $25,000: We tried die-cutting some fun colors earlier this week and found a few shades that we really love. If we can get to $25K, each backer will receive a bonus batch of 16 super-colorful (and striped!) tiny cards and envelopes. Got something festive to say?
The World's Smallest Post Service is a complete stationery set in miniature. Write heartfelt tiny letters. Craft adorable mini-parcels. Give them to friends and loved ones as a reminder of the BIG role they play in your life.
This Story Began 6 Years Ago...
The World's Smallest Post Service was started by Lea Redmond on a whim back in 2008 to deliver surprise and delight to mailboxes all over the world. Since then, we've made and sent more than 20,000 custom tiny letters, cards, and packages for fun-loving folks looking to make a big impression.
For years, we've talked about making a DIY version, and now it's time to do it. We've developed a finely tuned prototype and a production plan to make all the custom components here in the United States. With your help, we hope to produce a large initial batch of World's Smallest Post Service activity kits. Each kit will include everything you need to make exquisite mini-missives at home, plus some fun extras.
The Kit: Custom-Made For You
Who's The Kit For? Everybody!
The World's Smallest Post Service is perfect for anyone aged 6 to 96 who wants to be the ultimate creative corresponder. It's cute and fun for kids; it's quirky, clever, and hilariously absurd for adults. Just about everyone loves tiny mail!
Remarkable Things You Can Do With The Kit
- Write a letter by hand, like in the good old days
- Send them via snail mail (larger envelope required, see DELUXE Kit)
- Be the most amazing tooth fairy ever; slip tiny missives under your child's pillow
- Leave tiny mail on your sweetie's pillow or in a coat pocket
- Encourage your kids to write letters to friends and family
- Make awesome homemade party invitations
- Announce a pregnancy or birth - tiny baby, tiny mail!
- Astonish your pen pal in a distant land
- Become someone's clever secret admirer
- Leave anonymous tiny mail around town for strangers to find
- Use it as a couples correspondence set
- Gift it to a crafty person that has a way with words
- Gift it to an epistolary aficionado, there are lots of them out there!
Wait, What EXACTLY Is In The Kit?
We've spent years getting all the tiny details just right. The World's Smallest Post Service activity kit will showcase everything we know about designing and making small scale goods. Each piece of stationery will be custom die cut, the tiny postage stamps will have wavy edges, and the fine-tipped pen will be the best one available. In fact, each component in this whimsical stationery set was carefully designed and tested over a period of years to ensure your creations will be absolutely delightful.
Each kit contains materials to make 24 tiny letters, 6 tiny packages, and one 3D paper mailbox, including:
- 72 tiny postage stamps
- 24 stationery sheets
- 24 mini-envelopes
- 24 red enclosure stickers to seal up envelopes
- 8 "Fragile / Tiny / Handle with Care" stickers
- 8 "Special Delivery" stickers
- 8 "Air Mail" stickers
- 8 "This Side Up" stickers
- 6 kraft boxes to make tiny packages
- 6 copies of The Small Times newspaper (see it here)
- 6 sheets of kraft paper to wrap packages
- 6 lengths of twine to tie packages
- 1 fine-tipped black writing pen
- 1 magnifying glass
- 1 cut-out-and-make mini paper mailbox (see it in action here)
And What Extras Are In The DELUXE Kit?
Everything in the regular kit, PLUS:
- 16 special mini "security" envelopes
- 8 white lined stationery sheets
- 8 yellow lined stationery sheets
- 1 "VIA AIR MAIL" ink stamp
- 1 "SPECIAL DELIVERY" ink stamp
- 1 postage cancellation ink stamp
- 1 mini black ink pad
- 1 mini red ink pad
- 8 translucent mailing envelopes
- 8 round World's Smallest Post Service stickers
It's Easy To Make Custom Tiny Letters & Tiny Packages
Designed & Made in Berkeley, CA
With your help, the kit will be printed in the United States and assembled in our Berkeley, CA studio. This is NOT typical for this type of product as there is a lot of handwork involved. But we think it's best to make things locally whenever possible. So we're grateful and excited to be giving it a go here in the US. You can be proud too for helping to make it happen!
They Really Are Small...
• Packaged kit: 7.5 x 5.5 inches
• Tiny stationery sheets: 1 x 1.375 inches
• Tiny envelopes: 1 x 0.5 inch (sealed)
• Tiny packages: 2.75 x 1.75 inches
• Tiny postage stamps: 0.25 inch x 0.19 inch
The Small Times Newspaper
• Complete with original stories, working crossword puzzle, classifieds
• Measures 5.5 inches square
• Perfect for securing precious objects inside the tiny packages
• Learn more about the making of The Small Times here
• 0.20 mm line width
• Waterproof and fade proof archival black ink
Making and Shipping Your Reward
Once our Kickstarter campaign closes, we'll tally up the pledges and quickly move into production mode. We expect to finalize all print-ready design files by early June, at which time we will place orders with our favorite print shops and various other suppliers. All of these partners are located within the United States and they've already provided quotes and have signed off on our proposed designs.
The custom die-cutting required for the tiny envelopes and stationery will begin in earnest once it's clear we've reached our Kickstarter fundraising goal, possibly sometime in May. We already have the cutting dies and they've been thoroughly tested. We'll be doing all die-cutting in-house and the required machinery is in place and ready to go. Depending on the quantity of rewards we need to fulfill, this process may run well into July or August. Fortunately, we'll be able to assemble and ship kits in stages as new batches of various components become ready.
We will begin shipping rewards by the first week in July, perhaps sooner for some backers. Devin loves to slice and dice shipping data in Excel, and he knows how to use Endicia to batch print shipping labels from CSV files. We've identified the perfect padded mailers for both the regular and DELUXE kits and can have thousands of mailers delivered to us in a matter of days if needed.
If there are still lots of rewards outstanding by end of July, then we have a plan in place to bring in some extra folks to help us finish up production and shipping during the month of August. We expect to ship the last reward by the first week in September, 2014, but our goal is to get rewards to most backers sometime this summer!
Where Did This Idea Come From?
We're still not quite sure. All we know is that one day back in 2008, Lea was overcome with the urge to write a really, really small letter to a dear friend. Soon thereafter, the World's Smallest Post Service began in earnest as a teeny-tiny letter transcription service set up in Bay Area cafes. Lea sewed herself a striped postal shirt and found a mini wooden roll-top desk for her tiny roaming office.
The idea was simple: write a short letter to a friend of relative, and for a few bucks, Lea transcribed your missive in minuscule font, packaged it up in a tiny envelope with a magnifying glass, and then sealed it with hot wax before sending it off in the mail. A few days later, your lucky recipient was surprised and delighted to find such a treasure in her mailbox.
Over the past 6 years, the World's Smallest Post Service has evolved into a much more ambitious project, with tens of thousands of tiny letters, cards, and packages delivered to addresses around the world.
Here's a look back at the early days...
Risks and challenges
Our goal is to create a professional quality stationery kit, akin to or better than something you might see from a major publisher. This is no small task (pun intended) and there are lots of moving pieces that could trip us up along the way.
Fortunately, most of the materials will be sourced domestically and we have quotes and lead times in hand from each key supplier. Many of these suppliers are people we've known and worked with for years, and they have all earned our trust.
We have designed and made a series of complete prototypes and do not expect we will make further changes to any of the components. We may make a few final packaging tweaks before shipping rewards, but the final kit will be almost identical to the one shown in the photos above.
All kits will be assembled in our studio here in Berkeley, CA. This lets us keep a close eye on quality and timing. We'll do whatever it takes to get your rewards shipped on or before the target date, just like we did for our other successful Kickstarter projects: Punch Boxes, Seed Money, Chai Dice, and Trade Tokens.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)