World's first portable 3D microphone. Record, experience, and enjoy 3D voice, home video, meetings, chat, music, games, and much more.
World's first portable 3D microphone. Record, experience, and enjoy 3D voice, home video, meetings, chat, music, games, and much more. Read more
About this project
Why 3D sound?
Human hearing is binaural, which by definition means used with both ears. Our ears and brain enable us to recognize 3D cues relating to location, distance, and movement of sound in 3D space. Hence, we naturally hear in 3D sound.
Why a CrispMic™–3D?
Sound recorded by the CrispMic–3D microphone preserves 3D cues so the listener can hear sound the way our human ears hear it. The 3D microphone has multiple microphone elements to work as “ears” and a DSP processor to work as the “brain”. It is the first portable microphone that can record in binaural, stereo, and mono sound simultaneously in one device. When you listen to the recorded audio with headphones, you will experience 3D/binaural sound. When you listen with two loudspeakers, you will hear stereo sound.
The CrispMic–3D has a standard USB interface and plugs into a laptop, computer, or tablet. You can record any audio sounds and easily save them to your laptop as .WAV files. The binaural sound is saved in stereo sound format. You don't need to install any software.
- 360 degree horizontal azimuth audio recording with 3D directional cues preserved
- Simultaneously recording of both binaural and stereo sound
- One microphone device with built-in DSP
- Cutting-edge audio DSP algorithms
- 8-sensor microphone array with multiple acoustic beam patterns covering 360 degree horizontal azimuth
- Record in .WAV 48 KHz/44.1 KHz/16 KHz at 16 bit of stereo format
- Compatible with Windows, OSX/iOS, and Android
- Compatible with standard microphone/camera stands
- USB plug and play
- Portable and lightweight
What can I use it for?
- Theater, concert, or sporting event sound recording
- Studio sound recording
- Podcast recording
- Meeting or conference recording
- Adding 3D sound to home video recording
- Natural and environmental sound recording
- Special effects sound recording (for example, moving of sound sources) for video or games
- Record your voice in 3D sound to share as a greeting or surprise your friends with
- Security and surveillance
- Record sound at a distance
The hardware design of PCB is complete (pictured). DSP algorithms, software, and the PCB drives have been developed.
Most of the R&D has been done. With your support, we will conduct an additional round of model parameter measurement to support wider frequency bands for professional music recording.
We are at the concept stage with our industrial design (pictured with a third party mini stand showing a possible setup scenario). The enclosure design will be iterated and finalized.
With your backing, we will finish product development and industrial design. Our suppliers and manufacturers have been selected, and we will place our orders as soon as final quantities are known.
- Back our project: We are excited about our CrispMic–3D microphone, and we really think you will be too. We want everyone to experience and enjoy recording and listening to 3D sound.
- Send us your suggestions: We want to know how we can make our 3D microphone better. Tell us how you plan to use it, so we can consider your needs as we finalize the design.
Enjoy LcT’s 3D Sound
Slip on a pair of headphones, sit back, and enjoy 3D sounds courtesy of our team at LcT.
Risks and challenges
Design Risks: We have iterated the PCB design multiple times and solved the major mechanical, electrical, and acoustic issues. We expect to have one or two more industrial design iterations before going into production.
Manufacturing Risks: We have been working with several manufacturers for a number of years on other products (www.crispmic.com), and have successfully manufactured through them. Our contract manufacturers can handle large volume orders without encountering delays.
Supply Chain Risks: All our supplier relationships are in place. Our 3D microphone shares many of the components used in our previous CrispMic™ products, For the new components we have initiated supplier relationships. We will place orders as soon as final quantities are known.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)