Missed Connections Live is an original web series inspired by Craigslist's Missed Connections.
I created Missed Connections Live because, well, I was enchanted by Missed Connections. I came across the section on Craigslist and it captured me immediately! Questions began to arise:
1. Who are these people?
2. Do people actually succeed in connecting this way?
3. What provokes someone to write these things?
4. Do other people find these entries as amusing as I do?
I couldn't get over the shear quantity of these postings! I had to create something from them. Thus, Missed Connections Live was born...an opportunity to explore the people behind Missed Connections.
Since creating the concept for the series and executing it, I've seen an explosion of creative content inspired by Missed Connections. Eric Eberhardt writes songs based on Missed Connections and posts them on his blog http://www.neversaidnothing.com/. Julia Wertz draws comics http://missedconnectioncomics.blogspot.com. The New York Times highlighted a few artists also bitten by the bug (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/nyregion/07craigslist.html).
Additionally, I've received some interesting press! Shannon Liz Miller of NewTeeVee.com reviewed the series saying "It could become a quirky web favorite." Ursula Lawrence from the Writers Guild of America East contacted me and invited me to join the Guild's New Media Initiative as a result of the series. Most recently, Andrew Parsons, producer and creator of podcast Radio Waves (http://www.radiowavespodcast.com/), interviewed me as part of a radio documentary he's putting together about Missed Connections.
Clearly, people are fascinated by Missed Connections just as much as me. This is really exciting, and gives me all the more desire to reach Missed Connections fans with my content and to expand the series. Which is where you come in!....Up until now, I have succeeded in producing the first 10 episodes with very limited resources and 0 budget. I'm very proud of what I've achieved thus far, but I want to bring Missed Connections Live to the next level, and it's very difficult to do that using an outdated camera, computer (it's 5 years old...yikes!), and sound system.
Here's where the funds will be allocated:
1. An expanded website that includes work from the Missed Connections artist community and opportunities for everyday people to contribute ($1500)
2. A computer with editing/storage of footage capacity ($1200)
3. A camera and tripod ($1500)
4. A wireless mic or 2 ($300)
5. Missed Connections merchandise ($500)
6. Wigs, special costume pieces and props ($500)
7. Talent fees for special guest stars ($1000)
8. Fees for behind-the-scenes guest contributors ($1000)
9. Marketing materials for the series and for L.B.M. Productions (My production company that fosters character-driven work) ($500)
AND last but not least....
BONUS! : If I exceed my goal, I will give back 10% of my earnings back into the KICKSTARTER community to fund projects that need funding!
SECRET: I plan on adding a very special feature to my site that will allow the community to really connect. I can't disclose too much information, but if I get my project funded, you'll be the first to find out!!
My deepest gratitude,
- (60 days)