A quick update while wrapping up Alpha1 -
Arakion has made significant progress over the past couple months in order to move on to Alpha2. A ton of work was needed to wrap up lingering bugs and finish the more advanced mechanics. Some quick notes on what all has been done to bring you up to date:
- Town construction fully implemented
- Randomized dungeons now working (Tower of Infinity anyone?). More on this below
- Skill upgrading!
- Hero Housing!
- Area Conquest! Need a larger town? Conquer an area and watch as giant hooks grab the land and pull it within range of your town. First area to conquest? Tower of Infinity!
- Overhauled how the grid system works to actually allow for randomized dungeons
- Updated to Unity5.3 - This was a massive pain because of how substances were changed by Unity.
- Overhauled the entire UI to be more RPGy and in-sync with each other
- Overhauled settings to now work fully. This fixes those pesky screen resolution and key control bugs.
- Completely new character creation and customization system: For this this overhaul I removed the possibility to play as any race other than Humans. Races will be added as I have time to wrap up their base customization information
- Emotions / lip sync / facial expressions
- Story-line implementation
- Ailments: Permanent negative traits
- Diseases: Cleansable negative traits
- A lot more that I can't think off the top of my head
Most of these are finished on a core level, meaning that there is a ton left to add as far as content but that's much easier than adding the base functionality. All of these features will be in Alpha2 (Final Alpha1 release will be missing some) however as you can see it was a large undertaking and is the reason for the large delay since the last release.
Here is a quick graphical preview of a randomized dungeon when entering the Tower of Infinity. I've worked hard to make sure it doesn't feel like a randomized dungeon and all the puzzles are still fluid but there is always more work to do!
Random musings on randomized dungeons:
Randomized dungeons are extremely fun-I love them. Each one feels very unique and they help progress a heroes traits, ailments, personalities, alignment and they have crafting materials, town materials, eggs, rare fishing and more!
Lets say you need to find five more slimes to wrap up your compendium on slimes and gain the metal slime pet. You just can't seem to find any in the open world though! You could go to the Slimeworld random dungeon and quickly wrap it up. (This doesn't exist but now I want to make it)
At the same time, they can be almost completely ignored for anyone that prefers to stick to the main storyline and focus on the hand crafted content. In this sense they add a lot more content bang for the buck.
There are two types of randomized dungeons at the moment, one is the type you'll find in the world, these will be randomized only once on entry then saved locally maintaining a unique experience on each play-through without sacrificing any puzzle mechanics, secrets or inventory items. I've implemented this, in part, so that you can't go online and simply have someone tell you what to do.
The other is the Tower of Infinity! Randomized on each entry, saved every 5 levels and exponentially harder with greater rewards. This is where Slimeworld would be. With Tower of Infinity you'll never know what you're going to go up against, just remember when playing on Hardcore, you die in the tower, it still counts as permadeath!
Random dungeons are something that we worked hard on to get them right and I'm excited for everyone to check them out!
I'll go into more detail on all the new features soon but for now I just wanted to keep you all updated on progress. I'll post the final Alpha1 version as soon as it's wrapped up and I will post a random dungeon tester if it takes longer than expected. Backer rewards will be sent out during the Alpha2 phase as a heads up!
Until next time,