I want to thank everyone for their patience. Our few initial closed alpha testers discovered a host of issues we hadn’t encountered and we have been resolving them. Most of them have been resolved so we are officially close to launching open alpha.
I’m going to answer a few questions people having been asking both privately and publicly.
What is taking so long?
Short answer: Bugs and we want your first impression to be “Whoa F’N AWESOME!!” not “Meh…”
Long answer: Our plan is to release a series of games and we want to do it right the first time not half-ass it and constantly rework it. With that in mind we built an extremely robust infrastructure inside of Unity. The downside to this is we’re a small team making a massive role-playing world and system, after just a few alpha players were in issues started arising that had to be resolved. So this time around we’re making sure everything is tip-top as to not encounter that again
The coding for our core infrastructure is finished and with early alpha testers nearly bug free (that’s not to say bugs won’t pop up) we are close. Our school of thought when developing Arakion is quality above all else, when you commit halfway you get M&M X (my saves broke three times “playing” this) instead of Xeen.
When will I be let in?
I’m feeling a little bit like “South Park: The Stick of Truth” when I say this but soon. We have some minor things left to do before open alpha and everyone will be in.
What stage is alpha in?
Why haven’t you posted a ton of videos and images?
We’re constantly rehashing overviewing and editing our graphics, a lot of stuff changes relatively often and I personally don’t like posting stuff until it’s finalized.
Updates for Alpha 1:
- We scaled down the initial alpha to two levels, this is about 3-4 hours of gameplay. We did this so we could focus more on mechanics/balancing/bugs and less on level issues when everyone floods in. After the initial release our goal is to add a level every week or so with the town added in the first month to month and a half.
- We've been finalizing our rendering system to be more up to date with modern graphics. We’re using a combination of IBL,PBL and Unity’s built in system now
- We overhauled a lot of our scripts in order to be more mod tool friendly (modding is very important for us as we think it will keep the game alive) -Humans :: Warrior :: Monks :: Seeker are all playable and working. Trying to get Battlemage in before the launch.
- We're developing a resource of information so you'll be able to learn all about classes/maps/story/mechanics etc... once you start playing.
- The core gameplay and code is completely finished so at this point it's all about adding content and optimizing for us which is the fantastic news!
I just want to let you know that I'm following the threads on the forum and the comments here on kickstarter.
Open alpha is taking longer than expected, but I hope you can appreciate our decision to focus on quality.
Alas I can’t say too much about the story or writing of Arakion, mainly because *spoiler alert*. One of our plans is to create a public wiki to share and discuss with you some setting/content/general awesomeness, but not yet, alpha is the current priority!
We have loved your participation so far and I want to personally thank all the backers who continue to join us on the forum. In our vision a project like this needs support from the community, any kind of support such as your feedback and your patience.
We're really looking forward to hearing your opinions once you crack open alpha.
Here is a quick screenshot of an enemy test, testing out a few quadrupeds we picked up as well as enemy grouping and placement.