Hey again everyone!
Release ETA: June 30th
Life has been a little hectic but I have been working crazy hard on Arakion. Alpha2B ended up being much heftier than anticipated as we worked heavily with testers to really make the overall experience more enjoyable. Although a ton has changed following is a brief overview.
- The Town - This area has been discussed before but it is the beginning of town building in Arakion which constitutes a major portion of customization in the game. It can be reached via miniverse (for now)
- Open World - It's small but it's a start. The open world is connected directly with the town and will eventually link all the Zones together.
- Chapter Zero - This new zone took a lot of work and finese to build properly. The biggest complaint from testers was they didn't feel like they were being taught the game. This chapter looks to fix that, you now start your journey in a zone that will hopefully teach you all of the basics of Arakion before moving on to Chapter One.
- The Miniverse - Think of the mini-verse as your fast travel, upgrading, hero swapping rest zone. Well.... that's what it is! It's a lot of fun and this is where you'll go to do all the aforementioned. Hero swapping will launch in 2C fingers crossed. For us The Miniverse operates as a way to wrap up the game.
- Stamina - In order to balance combat while also making it more fun a stamina system has been implemented.
- Combo - In addition to the stamina system you can now chain combo attacks with your heroes. This allows you to build heroes that focus on combo multipliers, combo timers, and just straight damage increase the depth of tactics that much more.
- Weapon Types - Weapons can now carry up to two types of attacks, Light | Medium | Heavy. Each type deals additional damage and costs 1 more stamina. This allowed us to really make weapons even more versatile than they already were.
These systems have increased overall burst damage while decreasing your ability to spam attack. Group fights are a little tougher but singular enemies are a little easier while raising the overall skill cap to a much higher level.
- Race: Sappling - These woodland creatures are finally back!
- Skill Customization - The first phase of skill customization has been released. Each profession takes a few weeks to do so while we're shooting to have Monk and Warriors implemented we may only launch with Monk
- Camera System - Finding blueprints for your town with your handy dandy camera!
- ELIAS Software - I've implemented an adaptive audio system as well as implementing tons of interactive audio to really increase the immersion.
With races we're releasing 1 sex for each race at a time this way all races can be implemented to begin testing as soon as possible. We're aiming for Yin to return in 2C followed by Satyr in 2D
Major bug fixes:
- Tesselation: Unfortunately a group of people *cough*mac users*cough couldn't play 2A because it used tesselation shaders. We have resolved this by completely replacing the grass and all tesselation shaders with more mac friendly versions. Sorry about that.
- Tons of other ones: It would be a huge list to put in an update and I really appreciate testers reporting all the bugs you have.
Reason for the delay? After the release of 2A, the most critical response from you all was a desire for more intuitive gameplay. While crawler RPG veterans were able to dive right in, new players had a really hard time figuring out what to do. The original intention for Alpha2B was to release Chapter 2, however after reading through feedback we really wanted to focus on new players. With that in mind I created 'Chapter 0: Genesis'.
Genesis looks to fill the void with new players by using intuitive gameplay to ease you into Arakion. Everything from the interface to the controls have been streamlined and refined to make new players feel right at home. I couldn't be happier with how it came out and am really excited to hear feedback from everyone!
I take feedback to heart and it's your feedback that is helping make Arakion a great game.
There is a lot that has been implemented that isn't listed. Alpha2A was around 4-6 hours of gameplay on average. Alpha2B will be around 10 total hours of gameplay. I hope you really enjoy playing it as much as we have enjoyed developing it! Please remember if there is anything you want to see changed or comment on we love getting tester feedback! We take feedback to heart and use it as much as possible to improve gameplay.
On a final note Alpha2B will be launching alongside the Steam Greenlight campaign. As soon as Arakion gets approved on Steam and we get our keys we'll be sending out all the physical and digital backer rewards.