Nine solos for clarinet and bass clarinet by contemporary composers, to be released on Karnatic Lab Records, featuring Laura Carmichael Read more
This project was successfully funded on July 22, 2012.
About this project
This album traces my own musical journey from San Francisco in the '90s to Amsterdam in the '00s. The pieces are for solo clarinet or bass clarinet, and most will be premiere recordings. There are side trips to Japan, visitations to war zones, imaginary conversations with the dead, a personal leaning into Judaism, an occasional wish to play jazz, and a restless search for home. The project traces origins and outside influences, and the way layers of experience rub off on each other.
The practicals of the CD:
A solo album of contemporary pieces for clarinet and bass clarinet by the following composers:
- Toshio Hosokawa “Etude” for solo bass clarinet
- Isang Yun “Monologue” for solo bass clarinet
- Kurt Rohde “Slam” for solo bass clarinet
- Theo Loevendie “Duo” for solo bass clarinet
- Ronald Bruce Smith “Something Suspicious (small)” for bass cl and live electronics—commissioned with support from the Canada Council for the Arts
- Chen Yi “Monologue of the bio of Ah Q” for solo clarinet
- Tolga Tüzün “Along the Borderline, the breath and the gaze” for solo clarinet and electronics
- Jorge Liderman “Tfila” for solo clarinet
- Claudio Ambrosini “Cappricio detto l’ermaphrodite” for solo bass clarinet
For more details on the composers see the links on the composers' names above.
To be released in September 2012 on Karnatic Lab Records, an Amsterdam based label, with international distribution, including on iTunes and CD baby in the USA.
All the recording costs are paid for; the tracks are all professionally recorded, edited, and mastered (this is not a homemade production). It’s ready for release!! Now all that is needed are funds for the manufacturing cost, and publicity. This Kickstarter campaign is specifically for the manufacturing costs of the actual CDs and the packaging; any overflow funds raised will go to pay a publicist and for publicity support.
Total needed: $4186 (€3234)
Goal for Kickstarter campaign: $2250, which includes the $250 in fees from Kickstarter and Amazon payments processing, so $2000 goes directly to the project!
Join in and enjoy some fun rewards!! Here are some samples; see the panel to the right for full details.
More about this project:
In playing the clarinet and bass clarinet, I have access to some wonderful repertoire: Mozart, Brahms, Debussy… and I love this music. But this project is of a different nature. It’s personal and contemporary. It stretches the ways the instruments are used, going beyond pitch and rhythm as the primary drivers in some cases, often centering on musical ideas outside of Western music. I’ve worked with most of the composers on this CD (all except Yun and Ambrosini), and this is the first recording of several of these pieces: Hosokawa, Rohde, Smith, Liderman, and a re-release of Tüzün, made with the composer. The other pieces are already in the repertoire (Yun, Chen, Ambrosini), but relate to the newer works and are of personal importance to me.
trace (trs) /trās/ [treys]
- n.1. A surviving mark, sign, or evidence of the former presence, existence, influence, or action of some agent or event; a vestige.
- 2. A beaten path or small road; a track.
- 3. To take a particular path or route.
- 4. A visible mark, such as a footprint, made or left by the passage of a person, animal, or thing.
- 5. A physical change in the brain presumed to be caused by a process of learning or memory.
- v.1. To make one's way along a trail or course.
- 2. To ascertain by investigation; find out; discover.
- 3. To find or follow the origin or development or progress of
- 4. To locate or discover by searching or researching evidence:
- 5. a. To draw (a line or figure); sketch; delineate.
- b. To draw (a pattern or line), especially with one’s finger or toe.
- 6. To copy by following lines seen through a sheet of transparent paper.
- 7. To follow closely (a prescribed pattern).
- 8. To make a design or series of markings on (a surface) by such pressure on a pattern.
MORE THOUGHTS... link to artist statement
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
#1) thank you credit as sponsor on my websiteEstimated delivery:
Pledge $5 or more
#2) A signed thank you postcard from my funky collection, found while touring all over the world, tracing some of my many journeys that led to this CD.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
#3) Digital version of the album with program notes not available in iTunesEstimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or more
#4) The CD "Trace"! For twenty dollars you can be among the first to receive the CD, with all the beautifully printed artwork and full program notes, plus a thank you card.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
#5) All of the above plus a ringtone made by me!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or more
#6) All of the above, plus a sticker with one of my slogans about the music "BEAUTIFUL ≠ PRETTY" or "MODERN ≠ ZONDER EMOTIE' (your choice of either English of Dutch)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $40 or more
#7) All of the above, plus a special edition downloadable MP3 of my improvisations featuring extended techniques on clarinet, bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
4 backers Limited (11 left of 15)
#8) All of the above, plus a LIMITED EDITION REWARD: downloadable "found sounds in Amsterdam" MP3 recording made by me, featuring traces from daily life AND a limited edition, specially selected playful "found object" from Dutch Queen's Day and a little story about where I found it and what it is -- part of my local art inspiration from where I live now!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $60 or more
#9) Reward #7 above plus a t-shirt for the project made by me, with one of my slogans about this music: "Beautiful ≠ Pretty" or "Hedendaagse ≠ Zonder Emotie" (or a t-shirt from Karnatic Lab Records if you prefer it!)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or more
#10) Reward above (#9) AND a VIP invitation to either the US or Amsterdam record release party AND an autographed artsy photo related to the project.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or more
#11) Reward above (#10) plus mention of your name as a backer on the webpage that will promote the project, and an autographed score of one of the compositions, written to you personally by one of the composers who's music I play on the CD (or a CD from Karnatic Lab catalogue if you prefer, featuring musicians with whom I often work in Amsterdam).Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
#12) Reward above (#11) AND a Skype clarinet lesson (or general music lesson/ensemble coaching) for you or any musician you know.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or more
#13) Reward above (#12) plus any TWO other CDs in the Karnatic Lab catalogue, which can introduce you to the scene I am part of in Amsterdam... AND eternal thanks!!!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or more
#14) All of the above, plus dinner with the artist: a homemade dinner with me for you and three friends, when you are in Amsterdam, or I'm in your city.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
#15) Reward #13... PLUS a (house) CONCERT/RECITAL when you are within a 200 mile radius from me (details to be arranged).Estimated delivery:
- (31 days)