Many thanks to our generous backers for bringing MajiMonsters to life.
You can find out more about the game at our website.
Primary Goal: Funding Softcover Core Rulebook
Stretch Goal 1 [$14,500]: Hardcover Core Rulebook + 10 More MajiMonsters Included
At this level, we'll be able to add more of game's lifeblood - more MajiMonsters! These extra Monsters will appear in all versions of the book, both digital and hard copy. The extra Monsters will increase the size of the book to about 220 pages. Additionally, the Core Rulebook automatically upgrades to a hard cover, a nice bonus for anyone purchasing a physical copy.
Stretch Goal 2 [$17,000]: 25 More MajiMonsters Included
Even More Monsters! Each new MajiMonster introduced to the book brings more options you and your players have. At this level, the book will be approximately 235 pages.
MajiMonsters Basic Gameplay & Mechanics
Please note that art, the names of features and abilities are not final.
Enter a world ruled by Monsters, where humans have been driven to the brink of extinction, and all that remains of a once great empire are ruins and memories. MajiMonster is the name given to the creation of ancient maji—sorcerers of old. These creatures are the result of magics infused with common beasts or inanimate objects, and with their power they have escaped the control of the maji that created them.
Take on the role of a binder, a unique person that can capture Monsters and direct them as both weapons and companions. Explore a savage landscape and encounter a variety of Monsters with combinations of 10 affinities such as Fire, Mystic, or Wind.
Choose from one of six unique binder classes, each of which uses different approaches to binding, fighting, and training the Monsters of this world. Will you be a gallant knight, forged in battle? Were you born a concordant, infused with magic? Perhaps your role is that of a scholar, to teach the world the knowledge it has lost.
Binders roam the land for their own reasons—to make a name for themselves, seek out ancient treasures, or, possibly, just to find a way to survive this harsh world.
MajiMonsters is a tabletop roleplaying game—the same kind of game as Dungeons & Dragons®, Pathfinder®, or Mutants & Masterminds®. Roleplaying games are unlike conventional board games or video games in that the action takes place in the collective imagination of its participants. One person, commonly referred to as the Game Master, dictates what happens in the game world the players inhabit, the players determine how their characters react, and then the Game Master narrates the effects of their actions.
The rules on how to play MajiMonsters will be brought together in a Core Rulebook, which is what this Kickstarter projects aims to fund.
The rulebook will be 200 (or more) pages, full color, and will contain rules for game play, character creation, and the world setting. It also will have descriptions, illustrations, and game statistics of the MajiMonsters themselves, detailing their options, as well as tools and information for both the player and Game Master. While the initial funding goal is for a softcover book, we hope to achieve a hardcover via our primary stretch goals.
If you're new to tabletop role-playing games, we'd recommend taking the time to become more familiar with them, as they are a great social experience.
The MajiMonsters System
MajiMonsters emphasizes role-playing, and utilizes a streamlined approach to character abilities and combat. The system is quick, easy to learn, and offers a ton of depth and options to ensure no two characters or encounters are the same. MajiMonsters can be played with the Core Rulebook and a set of polyhedral dice conventionally used in role-playing games.
Binders: Heroes of MajiMonsters
Each of the six hero classes are designed to suit any play style. Different binders have unique sets of abilities, accessible only by their class. The Grit system measures a hero's valor and training. The more Grit they have, the more apt they are to overcome challenges. Also, a MajiMonster will fight harder based on their binder's Grit!
For more information on Binders, CLICK HERE.
Each MajiMonster is designed to be fun and engaging, offering its own set of advantages and disadvantages. As the player, its up to you how you guide your Monsters. Depending on your encounters, different Monsters will have an edge over others. Players fond of deep, strategic role-playing and combat will love the selection!
As a Monster gains experience, it will eventually become stronger, advancing to a new Grade. The Grade system keeps things in check and simplifies record keeping on your end. When a MajiMonster advances to a new Grade, it can gain awesome new abilities! This is a further chance to customize your team!
To browse a small sample of MajiMonsters, CLICK HERE.
What Makes MajiMonsters Different?
MajiMonsters is a monster-catching game, a genre made popular by Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon and countless others. This is a genre that worked well in video games and collectible card games, but has yet to catch on in a role-playing format. MajiMonsters will fill that void. We've created a unique gaming system that is simple to learn and complements this genre quite well.
MajiMonsters offers an incredible amount of depth in character customization, allows for intriguing role-playing scenarios and strategic combat, and is a completely unique role-playing experience. In the world of MajiMonsters, players assume the roles of binders, heroes capable of binding a MajiMonster into their service. This means every encounter with a Monster at odds with you is also an opportunity to gain a new ally in your journey through this fantastic world.
What Makes it Appealing?
If you've played a tabletop role-playing game before, you already know what makes these kinds of games so much fun. MajiMonsters allows you to an exciting adventure that you can share with your friends and fellow players. Each adventure is unique to you!
Specifically, our test players have enjoyed playing MajiMonsters for the following reasons:
- Monster-catching meets role-playing. If you're a fan of shows and video games that incorporate monster-catching, training, and battling, you'll probably love MajiMonsters, even if you've never played a role-playing game before. For those that like role-playing but are not familiar with the genre, you'll find a new experience to explore and enjoy.
- A system that supports the genre. The game system has been created and tweaked over the past several years to work for the genre. While it's possible to mold existing RPG systems around a genre, doing so often creates confused, clunky, and slow play. Most players agree that the best games keep the action moving, without too many rules getting in the way and slowing things down. Because MajiMonsters was created with this in mind, the action is at the forefront of the story. Each roll of the dice is exciting and meaningful.
- Incredible depth of customization. Players that love crunching numbers and maximizing combos will go nuts over just how deep the MajiMonsters system is. In addition to being able to customize each player character to your taste with talents, personality, and abilities, each MajiMonster you bring into your retinue also has a host of options at your disposal. When considering these additional traits, attacks, scores, and equipment, the options become innumerable!
- Strategic combat and engaging role-playing. At the heart of every game encounter is conflict. Sometimes matters are resolved by words and heroic deeds. But, other times battles between monsters are the only way to settle things. MajiMonsters has been developed to support a fluid combat system that is easy to learn, moves quickly, and gives the player a variety of options to keep things interesting. Additionally, each player's character is as unique as he or she wishes, with their own strengths, weaknesses, and ability to handle conflict in their own special way.
To reach the goal we've established for MajiMonsters, we're grateful to turn to the many backers on Kickstarter, and more than happy to provide the following rewards.
UPDATE: We've added a digital Starter Set as a $10 reward tier! Additionally, all backers at the tiers listed below are given priority for play-testing.
Add On [$30] - Create Your Own MajiMonster
Do you like the idea of being able to design your own MajiMonster? This Add On allows you to do just that. We'll craft a high resolution, color drawing of a MajiMonster based off your input. You tell us what your Monster looks like, what affinities it may possess, and what its name is, and we'll take care of the rest. Custom MajiMonster artwork will be delivered digitally as it is produced.
The MajiMonsters Core Rulebook will also include guides for Game Masters on how to make their own Monsters. What better way to bring them to life with your own official art right from the game's creators!
Add On [$15] - Digital Copy of Echoes of the Lost Empire
For those of you interested in purchasing the first official adventure for MajiMonsters, but without wanting to purchase a physical copy of the book, this add on is a great value!
Add On [$10] - Bronze Level Recognition in the Core Rulebook
Become immortalized in the MajiMonsters Core Rulebook! We’ll record your name as a Bronze Level Contributor on the Contributor’s Page. A great value for those of you wanting to help out without purchasing physical copies. (Not eligible for multiple add ons)
How to purchase an Add On:
- You must first select a pledge amount and reward level.
- Click the “manage your pledge” button on the project’s page.
- Increase your pledge by the amount needed to claim the add on. In the case you wish to purchase multiple add ons, add a multiple of the amount required for each you wish to purchase.
- Save your pledge. Do not change the tier that you originally pledged at.
- At the end of the campaign, you'll be contacted with a form for this add asking how the money should be used.
Shipping & Fulfillment
We've budgeted this project to ship physical rewards to backers within the United States at no additional charge. International shipping adds some challenges to the fulfillment stage. There are many variables that come into play, such as duties, taxes, and distance, which make shipping internationally difficult to plan for.
International shipping for physical items will be paid separately from your Kickstarter pledge. When we are closer to shipping rewards, we will contact you with details on how to enter your shipping information and pay.
The cost of shipping a package of this size can be as much as $25-65 depending on where it’s going in the world. This does not include any other fees that you may have to pay for your particular country. Backers are expected to pay any additional taxes or duties that may be required.
If you have concerns about the final costs of shipping or how your country handles customs fees, we encourage you to purchase digital-only rewards.
We're currently working on our Stretch Goals! We've moved the first stretch goal to the top of this section for quick reference. As we achieve each stretch goal, we'll update the page and move the next goal to the top. The remaining stretch goals are listed here for your reference:
Stretch Goal 3 [$19,500]: Dawn of a New Age Adventure
The first official adventure for MajiMonsters, Echoes of the Lost Empire, will be released in tandem with the Core Rulebook. At this level, we will write the follow up adventure, Dawn of a New Age, for distribution to anyone receiving the first adventure. These official adventures are a great way learn the system and explore its world and include fun combat challenges, handy references, and unique art. Each MajiMonsters adventure is distributed as a PDF.
Stretch Goal 4 [$22,000]: 40 More MajiMonsters Included
More! More! More! More MajiMonsters fill the Core Rulebook's bestiary. At this level, the book will be approximately 260 pages.
Stretch Goal 5 [$24,500]: Game Master's Kit
We understand it's challenging to dive right into a new role-playing system, and tedious to break the flow of game play to reference a rule. At this level we will develop a Game Master's screen with quick references to help new Game Masters feel comfortable. We will also design a combat tracker and helpful tokens for tracking conditions and effects. We'll include this Game Master's Kit to anyone pledging at the Knight level or higher.
Creating a Budget for Kickstarter
We've done a bunch of research over the past year to come to a goal we feel is reasonable. We've come to this point by looking at successful projects of similar size and scope and by researching costs for volume printing, fair rates to pay our artists and designers, shipping costs, and taxes and fees. Our budget for this project will break down (approximately) like this:
- 45% of the budget will be needed for production, specifically printing the Core Rulebook. MajiMonsters will be full-color, and at least 200 pages, which makes printing no small cost. This will be our most expensive task, but the cost is worth it—we will be working with professional printers that will produce a high quality product. In the end, how much of the revenue we spend will depend on how many backers wish to have a hard copy. Obviously, more copies printed will incur more cost, but more copies also allow us a cheaper rate per book.
- 30% of the budget will pay our artists and designers illustrating and laying out the book. This is easily our second most expensive cost, as we plan on having many full-color illustrations to bring MajiMonsters to life.
- 10% of the budget will go towards shipping physical rewards to our backers. Shipping and fulfillment is one of the most prominent problems for project creators, and this much is necessary to ensure we can provide our product to our backers. Please note, our reward levels budget for shipping within the United States, and refer to our Shipping & Fulfillment section for international shipping.
- 8% - 10% of the budget will go to credit processing fees and Kickstarter, which is customary for all projects hosted by the site.
- 5% of the budget will be necessary for achieved stretch goals and backer rewards. A lot of the cost of these are considered in our production budget, but this allows us the flex room we need for higher level rewards and goals, and provides a cushion in our cost should we need it.
Risks and challenges
The main challenge of MajiMonsters will be overcoming production costs, artwork costs, and creating content within the time planned.
Printing costs are the highest costs for producing a book as you might guess. We've been getting quotes from independent printers to find the best deals. Luckily, we live in the age of print-to-order, and have no fears about being able to provide a physical book to every backer who funds us at that level.
Artwork is going to be our second biggest cost. We have been working with several freelance artists over the past year, and we're confident we've planned accordingly for the costs of artwork, and we've seen that our artists can complete illustrations in a timely fashion. We already have a good amount of artwork, most of which you can view on our website, or this Kickstarter project, but we will be adding much, much more for the final book.
The content of MajiMonsters has no monetary cost, but we know that it takes a long time to craft and perfect a game. Luckily, we have a head start. We've been refining the game for the past several years, and if we didn't enjoy the experience of playing it, we wouldn't be here. We've been playing role-playing games pretty much all our lives, so we know a thing or two about what makes a game "feel" right. And, when we've shared the game with new players they've had the same great reaction!
That said, most of the content for MajiMonsters is ready, but we are planning on play-testing and revising the game based off player feedback. Additionally, we need time to make sure our ideas come together into clear instructions and vivid descriptions. This is why we've given the project a year to come together, even if the game is ready to play in its current form.
Of course, this all depends on having enough backers to fund the project. We're doing everything in our power to get word out about the project, from our website, to our social media, to visiting gaming conventions and game stores. But that pales in comparison to the audience Kickstarter can garnish.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)