Lastwear is the world's first open-source clothing company.
"What the heck does that mean?" you ask.
Since we started, we've always licensed our creative materials under a Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike license, but now, we will be making all our accounting, sales, production costs, and other business information available on our web site.
Because we support maker culture, we will release our production patterns on our site for download so that people can sew their own versions of our garments. In addition, we will be documenting our progress so that others can learn from our mistakes and improve on the model.
We want to prove that the current paradigm of competition in business is not the only way to make a living. We believe that small businesses can thrive through collaboration and resource sharing and that we can help fund each other through systems like Kickstarter.
Now we're ready to really get things underway. We've got great designs ready to go. Several are already in production, but to really pick things up, we need a cash injection.
Lastwear needs funding to do the following:
- $3500.00 to buy fabric. We need enough fabric on hand so that we can fulfill orders as soon as they come in. Having fabric on hand allows us to roll out new designs and maintain production of existing styles.
- $1000.00 for snaps and buttons. Our designs use a ton of snaps and buttons. They're expensive unless we buy in bulk.
- $1000.00 for tags, labels, and trim. We need clothing labels, care and content labels, and trim materials.
- $350.00 to cover Kickstarter's fee and buy ourselves a bottle of bubbly with which to toast you all for making this a success!
If we exceed our goal, the first $1000.00 will be spent on promotional materials, getting our print publication started, and bringing more of the story behind the Last World to life. After that, we'll be buying more fabric, trims and buttons.
What you get from us. If the project is funded we will:
- Post a full accounting of how every penny is spent.
- Post files for all of our production patterns to our web site.
- Document our progress so others can learn from our mistakes.
- Work with anyone who wants help build a stable, open source, ground up economy, that can help to free us all from the current paradigm of corporate colonialism in which we live.
- Get involved. Have opinions on how open source ideas can work for businesses outside of the tech industry? Let us know, we want to hear your brilliant ideas on what's achievable when we work together.
LOOK OVER THERE > Presents!
- (43 days)