Update: Trial by Viking has been funded, and a stretch goal has been added! Thank you all!
Update: Trial by Viking has been confirmed for XBox One! Details in the Updates section.
Update: Thanks to your help, Trial by Viking has been greenlit on Steam Greenlight in just 7 days! Thank you all!
Update: Trial by Viking has been chosen as a KickStarter Staff Pick! Thank you all for the support!
Check out the HD version of the video on Vimeo
"With an incredible variety of combat abilities, equippable weapons, abilities, and passives, the game will both empower and challenge the ever-loving crap out of you. This is a compelling universe with fantastic art, music, and tons of content that’s not to be missed." - Seattle Indies Expo jury
- A KICK ASS INDIE PLATFORMER ... Trial by Viking mixes some of the best elements of action platforming and dungeon crawling into a game that explores the distant worlds of the Norse gods. Fans of games like Rogue Legacy, Super Mario Brothers Wii/U, Metroidvanias, and Super Meat Boy should feel right at home.
- WITH A BIG WORLD ... There are 130 hand crafted levels that range from frantic mad dashes, to dungeon exploring treasure hunts. With over 80 unique enemies, 27 intense boss battles, and countless challenge and puzzle elements, there will be a lot to discover. Luckily you will also be able to collect powerful character upgrades along the way to help you battle ever tougher foes, as well as unlock new unexplored areas.
- ABOUT NORSE MYTHOLOGY AND VIKINGS ... Vikings were fearless masters of the sea with some awesome beards to boot, and Norse mythology has a wealth of curious tales pitting order against chaos. The deities in Norse mythology have some deeply human flaws, which allows for some great story telling. The story of Trial by Viking plays out over the course of 28 cutscenes as well as through in-game dialog. You will be asked to make some timed narrative decisions (think Telltale games) that will affect the story as well as the game's final boss and ending.
- AVAILABLE ON MULTIPLE PLATFORMS ... Trial by Viking will be available on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android. The plan is to release on all console platforms that will allow Last Life Games to get access to a dev kit and use self publishing. The process has already been started with Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to make this happen, but the final decision will still be up to them in some cases. All versions of the game will fully support game controllers.
- THE ACTION ... Imagine running for your life on unstable ground, jumping through gauntlets of fire and steel, battling every kind of monster and demon imaginable and surviving by the skin of your teeth...only to come face to face with terrors so horrifying that the earth trembles beneath their feet. It's kind of like that.
- CHARACTER UPGRADES ... An important thing to learn about Trial by Viking is that there is a set number of sunstones hidden on each level, and you can only get each sunstone once. This adds a treasure hunt element to the game. Between levels, you will be able to use those sunstones to purchase permanent upgrades for your character like a Frost Axe, Bombs, Double Jump, Everlasting Breath, a Weaving Wand, a Grappling Hook, and a lot more. You will also need to keep an eye out for Health Containers hidden in each realm that will boost your character's maximum health level permanently. On top of all of that, you will get a character point after each boss to put towards character stats like critical hit rate, armor, and life drain skill.
- CHALLENGES ... One of the goals for making Trial by Viking was to create some light challenge and puzzle mechanics that will make you think, without being tedious. You will find ropes, gears, keys, pressure plates, air vents, traps, different kinds of switches, and hidden areas all over the place. For some puzzles, you will definitely need certain equipment to find a way through.
- POWER UPS ... You will find temporary power ups as well as health potions hidden all over, including invincibility (metal viking), extra jump, mini viking, bear morphing, and time slow + speed up.
- LEVELS ... Some levels are going to be more exploration heavy, while others are fast-paced dashes through hazardous traps and enemies. You have to finish one level in order to unlock the next, but you can always go back and replay levels where you have not found all of the sunstones yet. When you're choosing a level to play, you will be able to see the percentage of sunstones already found for each level.
- SWITCH UPS ... Variety makes things fun, so many levels will switch up the fundamental rules of play all together. For instance, you might have an entire level where you're sailing on a viking long boat and have to be sure to keep up with the ship to complete the level, or an entire level where a Valkyrie swoops you into the air and all of the sudden you are flying through mazes of hazards while grabbing as many sunstones as you can.
- CHARACTERS ... On your journey you will meet a viking spy girl and her pet owl, an ill-tempered but wise Jötunn, a fiery cynical Valkyrie, and a monster-eating talking polar bear among others. This game tries not to take itself too seriously.
- BOSS BATTLES ... There are 27 boss battles in Trial by Viking, which means a lot of effort has been going into making sure they are all unique experiences. I don't want to spoil too much here, but Trial by Viking uses a lot of environmental elements, needs for certain equipment, stages of different boss behavior, and occasionally a secret weakness. These are going to be intense!
Trial by Viking has been funded using my savings so far and it is about 80% complete, but I have reached a point where I need a little help to add the few last key elements to complete the game's development. The KickStarter money for this project, if successful, will go towards the following:
- SOFTWARE LICENSES ... This includes pro licenses for different platforms Unity3D exports to.
- AUDIO ... I plan to add a few more tracks of original music. On top of that, the talented voice actor Erik Braa (League of Legends, Telltale's Walking Dead, or Ori and the Blind Forest) has signed on to do the voice over narration for some of the cut scenes and the main character's sound effects!
- ARTWORK ... There are still a few more items needed artwork and animation-wise to bring this game to life.
- TESTING EQUIPMENT ... This is one of the more boring, but essential needs in game development. I need test devices/dev kits for each of the platforms I plan on porting to.
- KICKSTARTER'S CUT ... KickStarter will receive 10%.
- REWARDS ... The remaining money will go towards backer rewards.
Trial by Viking will be released in February of 2016 for Win/Mac/Linux. Console, tablet and mobile versions will roll out as soon as I can after that.
Last Life Games is a one person studio, but I work with some talented freelancers and third parties to create the artwork and audio for Trial by Viking.
2D Artwork: Nerijus Civilis, Serge Bernard Bittler, Jessica Cooper, and Tan Sim
3D Artwork: Cameron Orr, Xiao Lian Hua, Bitgem, and Protofactor
Voice Acting: Erik Braa
Music: Symphony of Specters, and Somatone
The only thing left to say is thank you. Thank you to those that have supported the game. Thank you to friends and family (especially my wife, Alyssa) who have helped so much in getting this project to where it is today. Thank you to everyone who has helped make some noise about this project, because it is ridiculously hard to get the word out about an indie video game. Thank you all!
Risks and challenges
I see stories about Kickstarter projects that fund, but then never materialize. This angers me so much! Not only because people are getting ripped off, but because people lose trust. Someone who might be able to do something great and creatively awesome with a little money, may no longer be able to get funded because of that lost trust. I promise, if funded, this project will never become one of those stories.
Barring the zombie apocalypse, this game will ship!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)