About this project
We have a few days left and there’s a lot more that we’d love to bring to you guys.
Stretch Goals: Let’s get this game even more made-ier!
$40,000: More in-depth character creator. This character creator allows players to design their avatar down to specific attributes rather than just picking from a vast assortment of faces.
$50,000: Co-op Mode: A second player, either local or online can tag along as the soulmate. There will also be additional missions only for co-op mode.
$75,000: Longer Story for initial launch. Right now we’re planning on releasing Moon Intern with around 32 “game days”. If we were to reach this stretch goal, we would like to add something like 20 days giving us a grand total of around 50 days.
$100,000: Multiplayer Battle Mode : If you help us go over this much, then, wow. We wouldn’t even know what to do with it! Well I guess we do. Basically, if we go over this goal, we would be able to get some more people on board to make an amazingly awesome multiplayer battle mode.
$20,000,000,000 : We will finance an actual Moon Colony.
We talked about Moon Intern with Nitrobeard the other day. Check it out here!
We want to take you to a place that we have all seen but never been; a place that only the heroic have dared to tread. We want to make you feel something that you've felt before; something beautifully nostalgic yet wondrously new. We want to reignite the spark of excitement and romance that we know lives somewhere in all of us. We want to bring you the greatest adventure to ever grace that majestic celestial body we all know and love. We want to bring you Moon Intern!
Moon Intern will be released on PC/Mac and Linux computers.
Moon Intern is a serialized side-scrolling action RPG set on a Moon Colony played almost like a comic book with each day acting like a single issue or a single episode. Our game is light hearted with a lot of love, action and adventure starring you, the backers! Navigate between the various areas of the Moon Colony as you preform odd jobs and random tasks in order to pay your rent (you're an intern after all). Also, keep your soul mate (the game’s most important NPC) happy by spending time with them and taking them on missions. Sometimes, however, you must face the perils of living on the Moon. You might have to stop an attack on a factory by the dangerous Robot Gang, clear out a nasty infestation of Moon parasites, or even face the brilliant and ruthless Moon King. In the end, you’re just an intern trying to make rent each month and keep your soul mate happy. The only difference is, on the Moon, you might have to fight a few ghosts, robots, parasites, and self-proclaimed monarchs to do so.
There are so many cool things to do, so many interesting characters, and so many unique factions on the Moon that we had to figure out how we would present all of that great stuff in a single game without making it feel cluttered. We looked at the arc structure of comic books and the episodic structure of television series and decided that using serialization was best for Moon Intern. This structure allows us to treat big events and story-heavy missions as individual story arcs. With the freedom of an arc structure, we can tell the kinds of stories we want to tell while remaining true to the unique world that we have created.
The world of Moon Intern is a wonderfully dynamic and ever changing place. The colony is made up of many sectors and territories such as the Industrial Sector, the Tourist Sector and the Residential Sector. The Moon Intern navigates these areas either by walking between each area, taking a controllable vehicle, or by taking a fast traveling transit vehicle. While exploring the Moon, a dynamic event may occur. A dynamic event can be something as simple as a special sale at one of your favorite shops or something as intense as an enemy ambush. These events can happen anywhere, which gives you all the more incentive to go out there and explore the Moon!
Another aspect of the colony is it’s health and happiness. Each district has a happiness rating and a health rating that can change depending on how many jobs the Moon Intern does in those areas or based on recent events. For instance: if the Tourist Sector is attacked by a group of moon ghosts, the district’s happiness will go down, but driving them away will make the happiness go back up. Change in a district’s health and happiness can lead to a monetary bonus, a demotion, or it could rise the likelihood of a specific dynamic event. The Moon Colony is an incredible and unpredictable place to explore and we look forward to bringing that world to you.
The soul mate is the most important NPC in the game not just because of the in game perks you get when you cultivate a good relationship, but because you'll grow to really care for them as the game progresses. You'll be able to customize your soul mate's sex and likeness to your personal preference or perhaps you'll model them after your real life soul mate! (Hopefully the two aren’t mutually exclusive.) Take your soul mate with you on jobs and gain special perks and rare items that you would otherwise be unable to obtain. The soul mate feature really personifies the heart of Moon Intern and that's why we're so excited about it.
- One of the most exciting things about Moon Intern is you! The personalities and likeness of the many characters in this game will be modeled after actual backers. The characters will include everything from janitors to space ship pilots to the Moon King's second in command. Here are the tiers for all of the available characters:
- $40 (150) - Standard Character: These are standard Moon Colony Citizens
- $50 (100) - Work at MoonCo: These characters work at MoonCo! MoonCo is the largest corporation on the colony, and your likeness and personality could be a secretary, industrial worker, janitor, executive or any number of other MoonCo professions.
- $50 (75)- Work at LunaTat: These characters work at LunaTat! LunaTat is a seedy corporation who aim to dominate the Colony, and your likeness and personality could be a worker, cooperate saboteur, security guard, janitor, executive or any number of other LunaTat professions.
- $50 (75)- Work at Starway Labs: Haven’t you ever wanted to be a scientist in space! We’ll use your likeness and personality to create a character who works at Starway Labs.
- $75 (50) - Work for Command: These are the men and women who protect the freedoms of the Moon. Your likeness and personality could be a Maintenance Crew member, IT Specialist, Communications staff, Security or any number of other Command professions.
- $100 (20) - Guaranteed you’ll become a Pilot: Your likeness will be used to create of the the Moon’s many Pilots.Fly all manners of ships all over the place from the craters of the Moon to outer space!
- $200 (10) - Political Character: Your likeness and personality could become members of the Moon Political Party like secretary of cave exploration, treasurer of tourism, and even the secretary of Moon Sanitation!
- $250 (1) - Moon President: Your likeness and personality will be used to create the one and only Moon President! This is a tremendous honor!
- $250 (20) - Be a Shop Owner: There are a multitude of shops and stores on the Moon that the Moon Intern can frequent. Your likeness and personality could become one of these shop owners. You’ll even get to name the shop! (within reason)
- $300 (20) - Become a major story character of our choice: Moon Intern has many unique stories to tell. Your likeness and personality could be used to create one of the focal characters in those stories!
- $400 (25) - Become a special character of our choice: Within our game are many special characters who don’t fit other areas. People like the generous Blimp-Billionaire, Moon Sheriff, Master Spy, Ghost Hunters, Casino Owner, Junk Yard Resident or any number of special characters.
- $500 (8) - Become a part of either ATTACK or TECH Squads: These characters will accompany you on most of the games missions and you will likely see them on a daily basis.
- $1000 (1) - Garden Owners (For a couple): Own and operate a mom and pop garden with a soulmate of your own and you both get a copy of the game.
- $1000 (1) - Super Special Secret Character: This character comes with the awesome custom physical copy of the game. We won't spoil it, but your likeness and personality are going to be used to create somebody completely amazing in the game.
Cosmosaur is a small team of designers with varying skills and talents that form together like Voltron to vanquish the evils of boredom and bad game design. We have worked together before and have a lot of trust in one another. We've even won a few awards at GameJams! A couple of games we’ve worked on are Water Aloft the Ridge and the game jam project Bull Market. We are:
- Larry Griffin - Lead Designer, Lead Artist, Creator
- Peter Gabriel (That's really his name) - Lead Programmer, Game Designer, Lead Daug
- Mason Arrington - Lead Gameplay Scripter, Game Designer, Version Control Manager, Most handsome
- Gewargis Envia - UI Lead, Game Designer, GNasty.
Here is a prototype of Moon Intern for your consideration. The prototype is made in flash: Moon Intern
We're asking for $30,000 to make Moon Intern. That money buys us a few vital things that we need to make Moon Intern happen. One of the most important assets that the money buys us is a few Unity Pro licenses, which is our game engine of choice. Another important resource is an audio engineer and musician to make Moon Intern sound as good as it plays. There are a number of other things like third party tools, a website for our testers, and the physical rewards for our backers.
The most important commodity, though, is the time it will take to make Moon Intern. Most of the team will still have to work part time jobs or on other projects that pay directly while they work on Moon Intern. The amount we get will determine how much time each of the team members will be able to focus on Moon Intern. The fact of the matter is that we are going to make Moon Intern regardless of whether the project gets funded or not. It would help us expedite the development process if we received support from as many people as possible, so we would love to have your help!
Moon Intern isn't just a serialized side-scrolling action RPG, it's so much more. At it's heart, Moon Intern is a game about love. Love is the reason we're making this game. Love of adventure, love of exploration, love of character, love of humor, love of pixel art, love of robots, love of science, love of heroism, love of biotech aliens, love of the Moon. If you're like us and you love any of the things that make up Moon Intern then please donate to this project.
Support this project
- (32 days)