About this project
The Loud Mini has the power and sound of a car horn and it mounts on a bike. Cycling on roads can be frightening or dangerous, but with Loud Mini, safety is under your control. The horn allows you to alert people loudly, clearly and with just the touch of a button.
We’ve been making the Loud Classic bicycle horn for a year now, and we know the Loud Mini is going to be even better. The Loud Mini weighs just under a pound – nearly half the weight of the Loud Classic – and it is still just as loud and still sounds just like a car. The USB-rechargeable battery lasts 4 months (480 seconds of honking); that's twice as long as the Loud Classic. You can get the horn in all black or with an orange front plate. The Loud Mini is water resistant and can be used all day and night, in rain and snow.
Hear what cycling is like with a Loud Bicycle horn from people who have been using our Loud Classic horns.
Easy release mount
The mounting is compatible with GoPro ®, so it is well tested, and allows for flexible mounting configurations.
The Loud Mini comes with everything you need: The horn itself, a button with a 2.5 ft. button cable, an easy release mount, and a mini USB charging cable.
You can gain any of these additional features by adding $20 a piece to your pledge amount (instructions below)
- Anti-theft bolts: Leave your Loud Mini securely on your bike secured with special anti-theft bolts. You will receive the bolts in addition to easy release screws.
- Extra bike mount: Get the Loud Mini with an extra button+mounting set and quickly swap between bikes without moving the button or mount.
- T-Shirt: Get our “Ride softly and carry a big horn” T-Shirt inspired by former President Theodore Roosevelt who said “speak softly but carry a big stick.”
How to get the add-ons: To include an add-on item to your pledge, follow these steps:
- 1) Press the "Manage Your Pledge" Button above. If you have not pledged yet, it will say 'Back this Project'.
- 2) Increase your pledge in the 'Pledge Amount' box by the total of the add-ons you want to add (20 for one add-on, 40 for two add-ons, 60 for all three).
- 3) After the end of the Kickstarter campaign you will receive a survey that will ask you questions so that you can tell us which add-ons to ship.
- Loudness: 125 dB
- Weight: 0.9 lb (410 grams)
- Battery life: 4 months
- Charging port: Mini USB
- Dimensions: 6x4x2.5 inches (15x10x6 cm)
We have used our experience with several Loud Classic manufacturing runs to estimate production timelines and have already begun coordination with our manufacturing partners.
- Dec 2015: Finalize engineering design.
- Jan 2016: Order production tooling and high lead time components.
- Feb 2016: Perform accelerated life testing and design packaging (while waiting for tooling).
- Mar 2016: Test production samples, validate snap functionality, polish tooling.
- Apr 2016: Order or build the rest of the Loud Mini components.
- May 2016: Assemble and ship horns.
Loud Bicycle is a small team – passionate about keeping people safe on their bikes. We formed in 2013 when 600 backers on Kickstarter helped us bring Loud Classic to life. We are so excited to bring the Loud Mini into the world.
From left to right: Jonathan Lansey is lead engineer, Chris Owens is lead industrial designer, and Allison Johnston is art director.
Extended team: Alex Schab, Alexander Andreev, Aryeh Lansey, Bob Lansey, Brian Schiffer, Daniel Martin, Dean Marengi, Eli Lansey, Ellen Marcus, Jan Marie, Jed McCann, John Prata, Joseph Genovese, Laura Escobar, Lill Lansey, Man Ying, Nathan Schurr, Robert Riegel, Stacy Lansey, Yurij Lojko.
Customer interviews: Matt Carty, Dan De Angeli, Aki Davis, David Torres, Cornelius von Morze, Rachel Corey, Ty Smith, Garrett McFadden, Laura Van Loh, Peter Callerfelt.
We are really grateful for all the help we have received: Adam Hinz, Andras Pokorny, Andrew Le, Andy Constantine, Auyon Mukharji, Ben Foster, Beta Tester Gregory, Boris Mordkovitch, Captain David Hare, Chris Lam, Chris Loughnane, Fanny Azier, Gurhan Ozen, Ilya Lifshits, Ilya Okunev, Jared Detsikas, Justin Williams, Keith Hopper, Kingsley Harris, Lenny Landau, Lily Peck, Lisa Kootz, Mariko Kanto, Mike Costa, Mike Zhao, Mitch Altman, Morganna Becker, Nicholas Davie, Ofer Tamir, Randall Jacobs, Sam Kapala, Steven Rothwell, Stuart Powers, Sophie Ni, Tony Lazenka, Wang Yong, and Zeb Roach. @the_baseband. Darlingside, Nimblebot, Revolights.
Darlingside: Surround & Catbird Seat
Alan Stewart: Tetrahedral Dice
Please get in touch: email@example.com
Risks and challenges
We have worked closely with our manufacturer for three years building the Loud Classic and preparing for the Loud Mini. The core circuitry is the same for both horns. We are on our third iteration of the circuitry, and each step has improved durability and reliability. We have learned from experience that our manufacturer has high quality standards and we know how to work with their schedules to get our products shipped.
Since there are a few new components in the Loud Mini that will come from new suppliers, there is a risk that their quality standards are not up to our strict requirements. If that is the case, we may need to select another supplier. Additionally, the injection molded housings incorporate a snap feature that sometimes require multiple revisions to the mold; as such, this may also cause a delay.
Loud Bicycle has a proven track record of delivering fantastic products and we can face any challenges that come up to ensure you get your Loud Mini bicycle horn.
Support this project
- (23 days)