We have often wanted to take our Raspberry Pi along with us but were always discouraged because we needed to bring along a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and power supply. What we really wanted is a way to talk to the Raspberry Pi as a USB slave. That can be done with an FTDI cable but that's unwieldy and doesn't allow daughtercards (hats) to be mounted to the Raspberry Pi.
So we came up with a Raspberry Pi Console Card. The RasPi-Console is a card which connects to the GPIO pins and adds a slave USB port to the Raspberry Pi. You can now take your Raspberry Pi on the road and talk to it from your laptop computer.
The card uses the UART lines from the Raspberry Pi so these are not available for other uses. Also, the NOOBS operating system selector doesn't output to the console port so if you are using NOOBS you may need to install Raspian or some other OS which does support console during boot.
- Console port
- Talk to your Raspberry Pi over USB without a keyboard/mouse/monitor or Ethernet connection.
- 115200 baud
- USB Mini-B connector mounted on the bottom of the card
- Jumper selectable - power the Pi from your computer's USB port.
- Transmit/receive LEDs
- (3) Pi Connector options - extender allows daughtercards to be added on top
- 26-pin extender connector works with Model A and Model B Pis
- 40-pin extender connector works with Model A+, Model B+ Pis and the new Pi 2
- 26-pin non-extender connector works with all Model Pis
We have created three versions of this card each with different connector options. The basic RasPi-Console card works equally well with the older Pi cards and the new Plus cards. The three connector types are:
- 26-pin extender connector. This version extends the GPIO lines from the Pi so that a daughtercard can be placed above the card.
- 40-pin extender connector. This version extends the GPIO lines from the Pi Plus so that a hat can be placed above the card.
- 26-pin low profile connector - works great with either the Pi or Pi Plus model cards. This is the lowest cost option but it doesn't support cards mounted above the card.
Extended 26-pin Connector
Extended 40-pin Connector
Low profile 26-pin Connector
Risks and challenges
We have Kickstarted a number of successful projects over the past six months or so. Our only real concern would be if this project goes too big.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)