SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES is published under the OGL and compatible with 5e and other OSR fantasy role playing games. It’s 52 pages long (with 5 unlocked bonus map stretch goals included). Inside you’ll find:
· 10 'adventure-on-a-page' one-shot adventures of all varieties - murder, dungeon crawls, heists, breakouts, sieges, love stories - complete with additional DM and player maps! These adventures are fully playtested, for PCs of 1st - 5th level and are designed for minimal preparation and flexible delivery. Each adventure can be run as a ‘fill-in’ for 1-2 gaming sessions (3-4 hours per session) or played as a mini-campaign. Over 50 hours of gaming content!
· 12 New monsters! 4 new magic items!
· Hints on the art of improvisation to bring your NPCs and adventures alive
· Random tables - for names, motivations, room dressing and special items to add additional nuance to your adventures
· Verona City - a city for adventurers to use as a base
· Verona Province - a region for players to explore, complete with every location used in SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES
All the major work is done—writing, playtesting, layout, editing, proof reading—completed! Now that we've achieved all the stretch goals, the stretch goal bonus maps and adventure seeds have been drawn and added. The digital maps package has also now been compiled. All that's needed is to add backer names to the PDF and send off the print proof (which can take 4-6 weeks to be approved - not my delay, my friends), which will happen as soon as the Kickstarter ends and Kickstarter sends me the list of backer names. Then a few adjustments to the print PDF to make it a Tablet/Electronic book PDF (such as removing the print gutter and inserting front and back cover) and voila! All done.
Here are a some examples of completed pages:
Designed to be concise, easily accessible and quick to prepare, these adventures include flexible sandbox-style and structured storylines - something for every style of DM. The 'adventure-on-a-page' format means you get an entire adventure with an intriguing storyline, maps, NPCs and monsters, with plenty of meat to get your teeth into, but with enough 'space' to allow you to incorporate improvisation based on your players' decisions.
There is a huge variety of adventures in this package—murder mystery, dungeon crawls, heist, siege, investigation, bizarre love, puzzles—something for all your players, whether they prefer role playing, hack-and-slash or brain-teasing intrigue! You can run them as one-shots that slot easily into your existing campaign, or as a mini-campaign taking PCs from 1st - 5th level, using your own setting or the one provided in the book.
I love mystery, conspiracies and double-crosses! These adventures feature lots of that, as well as interesting moral quandaries for players. Would you defend a group of murderers? Have the monsters been framed or should they be exterminated? Do you eliminate the opposition in order to win the prize, or do you work with them? Do the ends justify the means? All is not as it seems… There’s enough intrigue and suspense in each adventure to keep your players excited and engaged for many hours of gameplay!
Check out these teasers for each of the adventures included in SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES:
There’s more than just adventures in this lovely little tome.
· New Monsters and magic items! Humanoids like the despairingly ugly Grov’l, the vicious, partying Barfs, the psionic spider-like Sholix, and new magic items like Seeds of Growth and the Dagger of Defence. Plus, I've used some interesting beasties from Kobold's wonderful Tome of Beasts, like the Angler Worm and Clockwork Beetle.
· City campaign setting! Verona City, also known as the City of Canals and the City of Bridges, due to its extensive magically-carved canal network. Why has the Duke not been seen in years? Is the Mages’ Guild the source of the magical Haze drug causing townspeople to hallucinate and see ghosts in the city streets? The war between the Thieves’ Guild and the Dockers’ Union over the city’s illicit trades is coming to a head! The Council of Six argue amongst themselves while worshippers of the Death Cult of Asgarte infiltrate Verona… Verona City is a broad, brush stroke setting with adventure seeds, that is easily expandable and the location of several SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES.
· Regional campaign setting! Verona Province lies on the edge of the empire. To the north, an uneasy truce with the warring Skandarans, to the west Orc raiders in their longships ravage the coast and monster hordes spew forth from the Break in the World. To the south the great dragon Antraxus roams freely through wastelands, threatening to break the fragile peace negotiated with the Council of Six. And the slave trading Sherviath Elves plot with the dark gods to bring the empire to its knees… Complete with adventure seeds, Verona Province is a broad, brush stroke setting that is easily expandable and includes each of the adventure locations used in SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES.
· Random Tables! 5 tables with NPC/PC names, backgrounds and motivations, adventure introductions and locations, special curiosities PCs can find along the way and interesting room dressing items. Need a way to introduce the characters to an adventure and at a loss for ideas? Roll on the Random Adventure Introductions table. The coach they’re travelling on is ambushed by Orcs! An NPC passenger is especially impressed with how the PCs handled themselves during the battle and suggests an interesting job…
· An article on the art of improvisation in games! Not used to improvising in your games? Locked into linear storytelling with fixed outcomes? Time to break the mold and let the game take on new life as you work with your players to create an evolving story based around improvisation and saying ‘yes’.
· A section on using these adventures with OSR games! Guidelines for using SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES with OSR systems. How to convert 5e AC to THACO AC, substituting monsters, and more.
Everything you need to spice up your SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES for more fun at the gaming table!
· Supporter - $2 to get your name in the book as a Supporter
· Early Bird Illustrious Backer - $13 for a limited time to get your name in the book as an Illustrious backer, PLUS a copy of the PDF (which you can choose to print via DrivethruRPG at printing cost + postage)
· Illustrious Backer - $15 to get your name in the book as an Illustrious backer, PLUS a copy of the PDF (which you can choose to print via DrivethruRPG at printing cost + postage)
· Excelsior Backer - $25 to get your name in the book as an Excelsior backer, PLUS a copy of the PDF (which you can choose to print via DrivethruRPG at printing cost + postage), PLUS full size 600DPI (above standard print quality, which is 300DPI) digital copies of every map in the book (with and without grids, without labels or indicia), plus earlier versions of some maps and all maps unlocked via stretch goals (43 high quality JPEG files) to use in your own projects, royalty free (NOTE: whilst you can use these in your own projects, you can’t on-sell the maps individually or as a package for profit. That wouldn’t be nice.)
SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES will be delivered as a PDF via DrivethruRPG, the biggest marketplace for RPG PDFs in the world, so you'll always be able to access a copy through your DrivethruRPG account.
Additionally, you'll be able to purchase a print copy, if you want one - you won't have to pay the cost of the PDF again, only the base cost of printing and postage (approximately $6-7 printing + approximately $8-9 postage) via DrivethruRPG. The book will look great on your bookshelf and in play!
If this campaign is successful, I’ll be following it up with:
· SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES 2 – 10 adventures for character levels 6th – 10th.
· THE BLACK MERIDIAN – a mini-campaign for high level characters 12th – 14th, set in the Verona Province, the Shotglass Adventures campaign setting.
So, please help me to help you! Support my Kickstarter Campaign for loads of fantasy role-playing goodness for 5e and OSR games!
I'm a mature-age student with skills in layout and graphic design who first started playing and DMing D&D in 1982. I have a semi-regular column called Laidback DM on my website, stevestillstanding.com, where I post free maps, hints and suggestions on DMing, and 5e game aids. Last year I decided to write a number of 'adventures-on-a-page', using Adobe InDesign to create professional layouts, started playtesting them with two separate playtest groups and created additional content to support busy DMs who have minimal preparation time—these became SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES! This project has been a labour of love for me. It's finally ready, and I need your support to unleash it on the world.
This is my first Kickstarter and your support will help me produce other 5e fantasy role playing adventures and supplements in the future.
Risks and challenges
All the major work is done—writing, playtesting, layout, editing, proof reading—completed! All that's needed now is to add backer names, draw and add any stretch goal maps to the book and compile the digital maps package, which will happen not long after the Kickstarter is completed. I'm a 'one man band', doing all the work myself, which means there won't be any staffing or scheduling issues.
I've already ordered an initial print proof so I'll know what the printed product will be like - I should have that in another few weeks. As the only things to be added are names and additional maps, this means the turnaround on the final printed version should be much quicker (in theory). Once the final proof is finalised, the PDF will be released on DrivethruRPG and you will be sent a POD code to claim your copy. If you want a printed copy you can buy one at cost + postage, which means you're NOT being charged twice.
This is my first Kickstarter and I'm especially keen to make sure it's done the right way, because I'd like to make this an ongoing business. I'm dedicated to making sure the process is completed smoothly and efficiently. I worked for 22 years in customer service and project management, so I'm used to managing time-scheduled projects and delivering products within timeframe.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)