Night Terrace is a full-cast science fiction comedy audio series starring Neighbours' Jackie Woodburne, and created by some of the people behind Splendid Chaps, ABC1's Outland and ABC2's The Bazura Project. We made season one last year with the support of nearly 300 Kickstarter backers, and on April 11 it won the Convenors' Award for Excellence at the 2015 Aurealis Awards.
And now we want to make season two!
Scientist Anastasia Black had retired from her job saving the world, preferring the adventure of a good book and a pot of tea. Then her house unexpectedly began travelling randomly through time and space, taking with it hapless university student Eddie Jones. From the far future on other worlds to the distant past of Earth, Anastasia and Eddie have faced deadly monsters, evil corporations and a sinister disco, before finally discovering the origins of the house's strange power.
But with no way to direct the house back home, there are even stranger adventures awaiting the tenants of "Night Terrace": impossible spaceships, unlikely quests, ghosts of the past and the most terrible peril of all: a new housemate...
Want a taste of Night Terrace? You can listen to the entire first episode for free, right here!
As for the first season, Night Terrace season two will comprise eight 28-minute episodes, and will be available as a DRM-free digital download via Gumroad, plus - exclusively via this Kickstarter campaign - on a USB. You can also get involved with the series with a signed script used by the cast and crew, get your name mentioned in an episode, or even record a line of dialogue! All backers who get the full season will also get a few extra goodies, like outtakes, bonus music and other little bits of bonus audio we'll put together (just like we did for backers of season one).
Plus, if we exceed our base goal, we might reach our stretch goals - to make some bonus episodes!
- At $18,000 we'll make a bonus live episode - and you could be in the live audience! (See our April 20 update for more details.)
- At $22,000 we'll make a bonus musical episode! Yes, we'll write and record an episode featuring original songs with real musicians and our cast!
Who's in it?
Returning as Anastasia Black is Jackie Woodburne! Jackie has a long list of Australian film, television and theatre credits, but you know her best as Julie "Chook" Egbert in Prisoner.
Okay, maybe you know her as Susan Kennedy in Neighbours. She joined the Neighbours cast in 1994, has since recorded more than 5,000 episodes, and is naturally a big part of this year's 30th anniversary celebrations.
Starring alongside Jackie will be co-producer and co-writer Ben McKenzie as Eddie Jones, and co-creator Petra Elliott as the previously mysterious, now along-for-the-ride Sue!
Our second season will also include loads of exciting guest stars, including actor and Doctor Who writer Gary Russell (Big Finish, The Famous Five, Octopussy), Triple J radio host and comedian Dave Callan (Rove Live, Good Game) and comedian and television star Lawrence Leung (Unbelievable, Offspring, Maximum Choppage). We also have some great returning guests from season one, Dave Lamb (Bell Shakespeare), Amanda Buckley (Impro Melbourne), Jane Badler (V, Mission: Impossible) and Virginia Gay (Winners and Losers, All Saints)!
We'll be confirming other guest stars during the campaign, but you can expect a great mix of established and emerging actors and comedians; the first season includes guest appearances from Alan Brough (Spicks and Specks), Cal Wilson (Slideshow), Toby Truslove (Outland, Laid, Utopia), Adam Richard (Outland, Spicks and Specks), Francis Greenslade (Mad As Hell), Cate Wolfe (The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Predestination), Chris Taylor (The Chaser) and many more!
Who are these "Splendid Chaps"?
In 2013 the Splendid Chaps live podcast was born, celebrating Doctor Who's fiftieth birthday in 2013. The same team went on to produce the stageplay Songs For Europe: Two Short Plays About Eurovision and, in 2014, the first season of Night Terrace. Now calling themselves Splendid Chaps Productions, these writers, producers, audio engineers and performers are John Richards (producer, head writer), Ben McKenzie (producer, writer, Eddie Jones), Petra Elliott (writer, Sue), David Ashton (writer, audio engineer) and Lee Zachariah (writer).
Between them the writing team have worked on or created 3RRR radio sketch show The Third Ear, ABC2 comedy The Bazura Project, ABC1 sit-com Outland, long-running television podcast Boxcutters, sketches for programs including Shaun Micallef’s Mad As Hell, The Hamster Wheel, The Hamster Decides and The Checkout, and more than a dozen Melbourne International Comedy Festival shows. David, our audio engineer, has recorded big names including The Church, Regurgitator and Michael Franti, and worked for SBS and ABC radio.
You can find out more about us on our web site.
How will you use the money?
Our production costs include rehearsal space, artwork, photography, promotional material, production of rewards, Kickstarter fees and one of our biggest costs: professional studio hire. As a full-cast audio drama, we prefer to record with the whole cast present as much as possible, allowing the actors to play off each other, so we need a big space. Plus this year we want to record at the slightly less breakneck pace of three episodes a day, instead of four, so we'll need three days in the studio.
Our major costs are for personnel: the cast and crew. When we raised more than our $9,500 goal last time, we were able to increase the fees paid to all our actors, writers and production staff, but even so it's a fraction of the normal industry rates. We want to make sure we can pay everyone at least as much as we did last time - hence our higher goal for season two.
If we manage to hit our goal early, we have ideas for a couple of new stretch goals that will mean more Night Terrace for you - but we'll let you know about those when the time comes!
And speaking of rewards...
Like Jackie says in the video, we have rewards out the yin-yang!
- You can already hear the whole first episode for free above or at nightterrace.com, but if you'd like to check out some of season two, the Night Taster level gets you the first two episodes of the season for $10. You'll also get a code you can use to buy the whole season at the Kickstarter price, less the $10 you already paid.
- Rewards at the $50 level or higher include a digital copy of the complete second season of eight episodes. Some also include the first season, as specified, and the $25 level gets you either season one or two. All our digital releases will be DRM-free, and we'll make sure backers get the series before it goes on public sale. If you pick a reward that includes season one, you'll be able to download it shortly after the campaign is over. The second season is scheduled for release in October.
- Like last year, we'll be having a launch party in Melbourne, and all our backers at the Spare Key to the Terrace level of $60 or above are invited! We're aiming for a launch date of late October, though the final date will depend on our production and reward completion schedule. If you're not in Melbourne, don't despair - Eddie loves writing personalised postcards from all over the timestream and he (or possibly one of the other Night Terrace tenants) will send you one to say hi.
- Speaking of the Spare Key to the Terrace, this level and those above it include a USB key shaped like a house key with the Night Terrace logo! We did this reward last year, and so to complement last year's black key we'll be doing a different colour this time around. The Spare Key has just one season of Night Terrace; the Master Key includes both season one and two. Both versions include all exclusive backer extras for the seasons included!
- The Night Visitor reward is definitely available whether or not you're in Melbourne; we'll work out a way to record your line of dialogue.
- When we say Choose-Your-Own-Night Terrace, we really mean it - we'll send you a bunch of questions, and we'll make a custom mini-episode of the show just for you! You'll get it both as a digital download, and as a limited edition 7" vinyl, and no-one else will ever get to hear it. Well...unless you want them to, then we're happy to share it with the other backers! It's entirely up to you.
- If you're thinking of going in on the $1,000 Night Producer reward with friends, we'd welcome that - get in touch and we'll work out how you can be credited and how we can make sure you all get copies of the show!
Don't forget when choosing a physical reward that there are additional postage costs for sending them outside Australia; we've tried to keep them as low as possible, but we are very far away!
Risks and challenges
We recognise that our biggest challenge is finishing fulfilment of rewards within the stated timeframe. Last year we completed the first season only a little later than planned, and had the majority of rewards ready for the launch and mailed out on time. We did however experience delays fulfilling the smaller run, high-level rewards, and our second stretch goal, the prequel mini-series "Hello! My Name is Eddie", as we failed to factor them in to our initial production schedule. (The mini-series was finished just as this campaign launched, and distributed in its first week.)
This time around we are including those rewards in our scheduling to make sure they are completed in a more timely fashion. Plus we now have established contacts with suppliers and printers and all the companies and people we need to make those rewards, and first-hand knowledge of how long those things will take. And without giving anything away, our stretch goals for season two are quite different and will also fit in with our main schedule!
As far as producing the series itself, the team is well-experienced in producing audio and we have plans in place to make it a bit easier for ourselves, allowing more time so the second season can be even better than the first. David Ashton did an incredible job on the first season and we know he can do it again!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)