Kymera Electric Jet Body Board
Kymera is the world's first Electric Jet Body Board! Now you can experience the water like never before!
Kymera Electric Jet Body Board
Kymera is the world's first Electric Jet Body Board! Now you can experience the water like never before!
It's time to give KickStarter Fans Something to get excited about!
What if there was a new way to get out on the water without the hassle and expense of boating? What if we could open water sports up to everyone, and help reduce pollution in the process? It's no longer a dream, Kymera is a revolutionary solution, not to one, but all of these problems. Kymera is small enough to fit in almost any vehicle, light enough to carry under an arm, and its simple design makes it a fraction of the cost of anything currently available. Better still, Kymera’s electric drive train creates zero emissions and its unique heads up riding position gives you a ride like no other!
It all started 10 years ago for me as I sat stranded on shore at a local lake one hot summer day. A few weeks prior I was forced to sell my painstakingly restored 1969 ski boat after finding out first hand just what a hassle and how expensive boat ownership can be. Gas on the lake for the day was costing me upwards of $200. Far to rich for my blood. So, there I was sitting on a park bench watching the crowd of hundreds shuffle around on shore. As I looked out to the lake I suddenly realized there were only two boats as far as the eye could see, and I wondered why there wasn't a better way. That's where it all began.... 10 years and many prototypes later Kymera was born and with your help, water sports will never be the same.
The Back Story
What started out as blocks of insulation foam, bondo, and fiberglass from the hardware store has been honed and shaped as Kymera has evolved over the years. Each revision better than the last, refining not only the function of the board but the skills and knowledge necessary to build it. As it turns out, ultra light jet propulsion systems don't exist in the world today. In fact it would seem just the opposite, that anything "marine" is constructed with a complete disregard for its weight. I knew early on for Kymera to be successful it would have to be designed and constructed unlike anything to come before it. More aircraft than boat and the most efficient electric drive technology possible added up to a game changing 48lbs. Kymera is light enough for a single person to carry and eliminates a great deal of the hassle of conventional craft.
For some, building an electric watercraft seemed a fool's errand. However, considering how few moving parts are involved and no need for air intake or exhaust it quickly became clear that this would be vastly superior. Eliminating the need for starters, fuel tanks, cooling systems, etc quickly offset for the weight of the battery.
"But Jets aren't efficient!!" the skeptics proclaimed! Right, but have they ever paired an electric motor with jet and tested it, tweaked it, measured it and refined it? Jets in a traditional gas powered sense are terribly inefficient, but thats directly due to a conventional engines poor torque to HP. If only there was a motor that had massive torque from 0 rpm... "Oh Wait!, There is!!" That, was the eureka moment.
It goes without saying, electric safety around water was also critically important. Luckly, having years of experience designing and building Remotely Operated Submersible Vehicles that not only have to cope with the harsh marine environment but extreme pressures, made building a surface craft much easier in contrast. Kymera is also considered a low voltage system, and requires far less voltage than can be found in any marine engine in use today.
I also knew that building the "next cool thing" wouldn't be enough. All to often the next BIG thing has a BIG price tag to match. All of the prototypes so far have been constructed using Carbon Fiber, for its light weight and relative ease in building complex shapes. But at around $2,000 cost per hull it was never a very viable method for manufacture. RotoMolding however changed the entire kayaking industry when it came into practice, drastically reducing the cost of production and improving durability. Several boat manufactures since have jumped on board as well and started building sizable power boats using the same technique. With a rotomolded hull we will be able to reach our price objectives and provide a hull that is extremely durable. There is one catch however. The tooling needed to start manufacturing using this process is expensive. Roughly $45,000, which as a result, has prevented us from rolling out boards to our fans and supporters.... Until now!
Kickstarter has the amazing ability to include people in the process of bringing a product to market and we want to share that experience with you! Could we just take "Pre-Orders" and send you updates? Sure, but its important that we are as transparent as possible and allow our backers to get involved along the way.
We have chosen Kickstarter for our project to give people a chance to decide weather or not Kymera has what it takes to become a successful product. Every dollar we raise, and every backer who supports us will push Kymera one step closer to becoming a reality.
We have created an array of rewards to show our thanks for anyone who would like to support the cause. With a project this ambitious every dollar counts, and will go straight to getting Kymera into full production at the lowest price possible! As an added bonus we are offering huge discounts for all our Kickstarter supporters! With an expected initial retail around $2850, we are offering our first (25) Kymera packages at just $1995.00 each! Thats over an $800.00 savings! In fact we are offering huge discounts on all our rewards but only here on Kickstarter, so don't miss out on being the first out on the water with a Kymera of your very own!
Kymera Key Floaty
Kymera Rescue Tee
You're on the Team! With a pledge of $50 or more, you will not only receive the Kymera Rescue Tee, you will also be given first priority on the public release boards!
The Kymera System
- 48lbs (Aprox) Only 29lbs~ with battery removed!
- 76"x 24"x 9" Overall size
- Super Durable Roto-Molded Hull (As used in White Water Kayaks)
- Note* The HDPE (high density polyethylene) Hull Will Not Be Painted, But Will Have Graphics.
- Available In your choice of Orange, Green, or Blue!
- Swappable 1000wh Lithium Polymer Battery Pack Included (300 ~400 cycles average with proper charging)
- 2,000w Peak 1,000w RMS Brushless Motor (For Nearly Zero Maintenance and silent operation)
- Tunable Performance W/ upgrades up to 6KW!
- 1 hour Average Run Time (Top speed and range will vary with rider weight but we expect 10mph ~15mph TS and 5 ~ 6 Mile Range per charge)
- Suggested 220lbs ~ 6' 2" Max rider for standard length board.
- Simple Trigger Throttle Control and Intuitive Lean Steering
- With your pledges we will first finalize the hull design and work with our manufacture to perfect our polyurethane hull Rotomolding tooling (as used in white water kayaks). This will greatly improve durability and reduce part cost. We have made great strides in the last few months with our 7th hull revision. Based on our tests so far, we have seen an over all efficiency gain of 37%. Improved weight capacity, stability, rider position, and increased planing surface area were all key successes as we move into production. We expect this process to be the most lengthy. It will take approximately 6 weeks until the first part is produced and we will be capable of 100 hulls per week going forward. Est. Completion 1/15/14
- We have worked closely with our manufacturer to create a one of a kind, purpose built brushless motor that is the heart of the Kymera system. We have upgraded to all stainless marine grade bearings, lightened the motor over all, and modified the motors KV to better suit our new drive system. We are currently completing testing on our production samples. We have been told to expect a 4~6 week lead time for initial production run delivery, and have arranged for frequent deliveries there after as production allows. This should allow us to easily keep pace with local production capacity. Est. First Motor Delivery 1/15/14
- Our one of a kind electric drive has been carefully designed and tested to make the most of every watt available. Our current carbon fiber and CNC aluminum prototypes will be replaced with investment cast units to ensure the tight tolerances necessary for the best efficiency is consistent as production volumes increase. Tooling lead times are short but production volumes are fairly low. We will begin producing units as early as possible to ensure delivery can keep pace with our production schedule. Est. Production Start 1/6/14
- To keep our initial tooling costs at a minimum and reduce lead times, we will be taking advantage of the latest in desktop printing where possible. Although relatively a "slow" process, the low cost will allow us to run multiple units around the clock and allow changes / improvements on the fly. This will also allow us to get a jump start on production. We will immediately start stock piling while we await our production parts. Est Production Start 12/16/13
- So far we have been very disappointed with the battery solutions offered by overseas manufactures. The cells have proven durable but due to poor quality assembly and cost cutting we have been forced to assemble our own packs. We are now working with a domestic manufacture to ensure proper quality control. The battery being a major portion of the total unit cost, will benefit greatly from larger orders. Battery lead times have been only a week or two. We expect this to increase in the short term with the new enclosure and assembly requirements. We will be stockpiling and batch testing, while we are awaiting the arrival of our other custom components. Est. Initial Delivery 2/3/13
- Other smaller drive train (Drive shaft, couplers, throttle etc) components will be CNC'd by a local partner shop who has quick turn arounds that we have worked with for years. We are proud to support our local community and having a personal relationship with a strategic partner is always a huge asset. Est Production Start 12/20/13
- Once all the components arrive we will begin streamlining assembly and testing beta production prototypes. This process will benefit greatly from the flexibility of rotomolding. It will allow us to integrate not only graphics, but fastening hardware directly into the hull and allow the majority of the components to easily be installed with sample hand tools. We anticipate having our first units assembled and in the water testing by 3/3/14. From there with parts on hand we will make any necessary final tweaks and begin general assembly. Est. Begin Shipping by 4/1/14 with a production capacity of 100 units per week.
- Kymera utilizes the latest in super efficient brushless motor technology. Capable of over 6Kw of total power, your board will continue to gain performance as new batteries become available. Not only does a brushless power plant produce huge power and torque, but the simple design makes it nearly zero maintenance. For marine use, a full fresh water hose down and occasional bearing lubrication are all that is required.
- The one of a kind axial flow impeller drive system has been painstakingly tuned to perfectly match the power profile of the board. Built from the ground up, it provides punchy thrust without an exposed propeller while maintaining the utmost efficiency.
- The hull not only provides flotation and planing surface but, several other functions. The "hour glass" shape makes it easy to carry under your arm, cutting the bulk right where you need it. Just as "parabolic" skis have revolutionized downhill skiing, Kymera's new hull greatly improves handling without need of any mechanical steering.
- Ride quality is also key, and once again the revolutionary hull design comes into play. In your car, the ride is controlled by regulating the displacement of fluid in the shocks. Kymera accomplishes this same effect with progressive wave displacement. By displacing water outward in a controlled fashion and reducing the surface area in key locations it stretches each wave out over a longer period of time and greatly smooths out the ride.
- As with all electric vehicles it is all about the battery. We have elected to get you started with our custom built 1000wh Lithium Polymer pack. With its small size, light weight, and monstrous current capacity it is a solid performer. The board controller will monitor your pack eliminating the need for a full (expensive) battery management system. We will provide an internal cell monitor to allow you to keep a close eye on cell balance since a full balanced charging system will maximize your battery life (300~400 cycles average). The packs can be charged onboard and can be easily swapped to extend run-time. We hope to offer the non proprietary waterproof battery case in the future to allow you to construct your own custom packs with chemistry of your choice.
Awards and Articles
- Discovery Channels Daily Planet Feature
- Popular Science Invention Award
- CNET News Article
- Gizmag Article - Feb, 25, 2013
- Gizmag Article - Sept 26, 2012
- Gizmag Article - Jan 11, 2011
- The Awesomer Feature
- Likecool Feature
- Geekologie Feature
- Muted Feature
- Stuff Magazine Feature
- HiConsumption Feature
- Ubergizmo Article
- Yahoo News Article
- The Gadget Show - UK
And Many More...
Risks and challenges
Although it is not without its risks, nothing worth doing is ever easy. We take personal pride in ensuring that each and every person who supports us, will in turn receive a quality product that exceeds their expectations.
We have made huge strides forward since our first attempt on Kickstarter. The fully developed and tested drive system, custom motor, new manufacturing partners, and new upgraded 7th generation hull all add up a vastly superior product. But as is true with all new products there will always be challenges along the way. The last 10 years have been difficult, expanding into new areas of technology, but those very same challenges are lessons learned to allow us to overcome any problem we may face.
One of the most difficult tasks for start ups is scaling up production to meet demand. It is important however, to consider that even though Kymera is a relatively large reward item, we will be producing far fewer of them to hit our Kickstarter goal. Compared to projects requiring hundreds or thousands of units to be produced, we will be able to give more personal attention to fulfilling your individual reward.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)