Kulea Games has set out to create a new game called Moth Matching. We aim to set a new standard for the matching game genre that entertains players, provides the opportunity to strengthen memory skills and preserves biodiversity in Madagascar's tropical forests. Here are highlights on how we will accomplish this goal with your support:
- Offer a wealth of gorgeous stylized card images based on photographs from Madagascar
- Create handcrafted, original illustrations and special visual effects
- Immerse players with original music and sounds
- Keep it engaging with variety and challenge (e.g., timed levels, number of attempts)
- Let players track progress with a beautifully illustrated progression map
- Educate players about moths, wild silk and conservation in Madagascar
- Make Moth Matching available in multiple languages
- Share game proceeds with our nonprofit partner CPALI to make a difference in real life!
True, there are plenty of other memory matching game apps and some can be rather fun. We want to raise the bar higher and make a matching game for everyone. To that end, there will be no skimping on quality. Amazing graphics! Fascinating critters! Special effects! Diverse gameplay!
Moths might be the stars of Moth Matching and they're really striking, but the game will have plenty more images featuring the marvels found in this exotic corner of the world. We can't wait to share these with everyone!
Sometimes silence is soothing and sometimes music is motivating. We're at least giving players the option to have sounds and music to accompany them on their matching mission. This Malagasy inspired soundtrack is sure to keep players going. Check out a winning track:
Kulea Games didn't set out to create a matching game and then decide to focus on moths. We wanted to partner with CPALI (Conservation through Poverty Alleviation, International) to support their efforts to develop wild silk as a conservation strategy in Madagascar. Here's how it works:
- Villagers plant trees for native silk worms on degraded lands
- Cocoons are processed into usable wild silk once the moths emerge
- Wild silk is then sold in bulk or transformed into finished products
- Villagers get 100% of the profits from producing silk!
Having economic options for families that live in or near one of the most threatened tropical forests in the world is essential to protecting the ecosystem. We were so inspired to help raise awareness and expand the program that we decided to create a game that everyone can download. That way they see the treasure trove of biodiversity worth protecting and the process of producing wild silk.
And if they like what they see and want to keep playing beyond level 20, players can pay to unlock the rest of the game. CPALI receives a share of this revenue to support their mission of training more villagers and paying for more native trees to raise indigenous moths.
Actually, thanks to backers like you, everybody gets to download and play the first 20 levels of the game for free. Without your support, we'd be restricted to a boring paid app that would limit who can learn about the important work being done. That's why your help is essential and also why your name is going to show up in our credits for everyone from around the world to see who helped make this game possible.
And if it you really want to get a full version of the game before everyone else, back us at the Cool Caterpillar level! You'll become a beta tester and then get your free game (plus all the rewards from lower tiers). Being a beta tester for Kulea Games is pretty awesome because you'll get to weigh-in before launch and propel the game to prominence. You will also get access to other games in development, game tips and special launch events.
Back us and get rewarded! Having your name emblazoned in the Moth Matching credits is pretty amazing considering people around the world will see it. And being a beta tester is like getting the game for free! But we've also got other levels of support that reward you with more tangible items. Some of these great rewards are based on original images and music created for the game. Many of the rewards are items made from lustrous wild silk--just like the special items featured in the game--which make great gifts for others or yourself. It's like owning a little piece of the game itself!
- Two art coloring projects (EGG US ON)
- Large comet moth sticker (COOL COCOON)
- Early Access Beta Tester (CURIOUS CATERPILLAR)
- Indigo Wild Silk Bangle by DConstruct (TROPICAL BANGLE)
- Indigo Wild Silk Earrings (CHAMELEON CHARMS)
- Indigo Wild Silk Cuff (WILD CUFF)
- Wild Silk Clutch (NOCTURNAL CARRYALL)
- One Meter of Wild Silk (CHRYSALIS CREATOR)
- Wild Silk Hat (SUN AND SILK)
The precious, beautiful wild silk material makes people who wear the jewelry and fashion items look amazing on the outside, but they'll make you feel even better on the inside. That's because villagers receive the standard amount for their silk and any products that they make. So you're directly supporting poverty alleviation and conservation. Moreover, you're also helping CPALI reach new audiences. The more people who play the game, the more people can learn about their important work and support their mission either directly or through the purchase of the full version of Moth Matching. The benefits of backing Moth Matching are multifold!
Kulea Games is an independent game studio cofounded by creative folks with highly complementary skills and a lot of determination. Located in California, New York and Lyon, France, we're always sure that at least one of us will be awake at a given point of time in the day. We have:
- 35 years collective experience in the video game industry and computer programming
- 27 years in arts and graphic design
- 13 years in the nonprofit/public service sector
Eric, Nicolas, Leslie, Doug and Alexandre can't wait to get Moth Matching released. You can read all about our individual qualifications on our website.
We're all kind of perfectionists at Kulea Games and wouldn't be comfortable releasing some "minimal" version. In fact, even our Kickstarter goal of $8,000 would not cover all of the costs associated with what we want for version 1.0 of Moth Matching. All the bells and whistles our hearts desire would be close to triple the amount we'd like to raise - particularly when you take out reward production costs, shipping, and fees.
That's no concern to us because we've already pitched in to get the game design and progression finalized, complete basic coding for a working demo and make some essential graphics. Heck, we've even got many of the essential songs and sounds done too!
We're rearing to go and with your support we'll deliver a special game that is way more than a "minimal" version. Your backing would let us:
- Offer 20 free levels to everyone and the ability for players to unlock at least an additional 52 unique levels
- Build an amazing progression map
- Add more images! More custom graphics! More sounds and songs! More special effects and animation!
- Build-in more functionality (e.g., a card gallery; practice mode with adjustable difficulty) and back-end capabilities
- Make it available for both iPad and iPhone to start
- Translate the game into more languages (Ja wohl! Bien sûr! Claro!)
- Develop a game trailer
- Design promotional materials to reach new audiences
- Fine tune our existing work and polish until everything shines!
We'd also love to hire a top-notch freelance developer to write the code that takes the game from iOS to other platforms as well - especially Android. If we reach our goal early, we'll make that a stretch goal. Getting a quality version completed won't be cheap, but we love our Android mobile devices too!
Even if our lowest backing tier is going to compete too much with your daily coffee budget, there are many other things you can do to get involved and make this game a reality:
- Tweet or post a Facebook message about this Kickstarter campaign
- Pin an image you like from this page to Pinterest
- Send a brief e-mail with the Kickstarter project link to your friends, family or coworkers who are passionate about mobile games, silk, Madagascar, moths & butterflies, and conservation issues
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with interesting ideas to improve our campaign
- Follow our partner CPALI too on Facebook and Twitter
- Leave a note of support on this page!
We know that with the help of amazing people like you, we can get the word out to more people who also want to have an interesting game that helps support a great real-life cause. Thank you so much for your support! Misaotra betsaka!
Kulea Games développe actuellement un nouveau jeu appelé Moth Matching. Nous souhaitons créer un nouveau standard dans le domaine des jeux de mémoire (memory). Moth Matching permet de se divertir, de renforcer ses capacités mémorielles tout en participant à la préservation des forêts tropicales de Madagascar. Voici les points forts nous permettant d'atteindre ces objectifs avec votre soutien :
- Moth Matching offre une grande diversité de cartes basées sur des photographies de Madagascar
- Nos artistes créent des illustrations originales pour chaque phase du jeu
- Le jeu est immersif avec des musiques (basées sur le folklore malgache) et des sons originaux
- Le jeu propose des modes de jeu inédits pour un jeu de mémoire, ce qui nous permet de garder le joueur impliqué jusqu'au bout
- La progression du joueur est visible à tout moment sur une carte originale
- Le joueur développe ses connaissances sur les papillons, la soie sauvage et la préservation de l'écosystème à Madagascar Moth
- Matching sera disponible dans plusieurs langues
- Nous partagerons les revenus du jeu avec notre partenaire CPALI (organisation à but non lucratif) pour avoir un impact dans la "vraie vie"!
1. Is Kulea Games a nonprofit?
- No. Kulea Games develops games for nonprofits to support their diverse missions by giving them a new way to educate the public and create a stable revenue stream for our nonprofit partners like CPALI.
2. Is your game already done?
- Ha! We wish! Our "alpha" version might look nice and polished, but that's just because our in-house artist L.A. Mayes Zuniga does amazing work and our coder Eric Colton has used them and given life to some of the levels Nicolas Dejeans laid out in the game design while Alexandre Farat has given it a soundtrack to which we can tap our feet. There's a lot of hard work ahead of us including designing and coding over 50 levels, adding animated features throughout the game, designing and coding an image gallery, drawing the large number of remaining of graphics, and the list goes on...not to mention all the time we need to debug, polish, beta test, etc. Making games isn't cheap nor easy, which is why your support is, at a minimum, validation of all our hard work to date and a vote of confidence that we can do it!
3. Are the rewards cumulative?
- Yes, from the very first level all the way up to the largest reward tier. You get a lot for every tier AND that doesn't even include the satisfaction of knowing you're going to be helping release a game that supports such a great cause.
Risks and challenges
Moth Matching has a working demo and we're highly confident that we can make a fully functional, fun game with your support. There are always challenges to developing a new game, but we're confident that we can release the full beta-tested version of the game for iPad and iPhone in Fall 2015. That's coming up!
For the rewards made of wild silk, we anticipate a pretty fast turn around time depending on demand and have chosen delivery dates that are achievable. If demand is exceptionally high, we may need to adjust the delivery dates and we will be in contact with you right away. All these items are being made by hand and we want them to be done well. Plus, they're being shipped from a location that is off the beaten track so we can't promise real-time tracking. But we know you'll be satisfied with the reward!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)