A book soundtrack is a musical adventure meant to enhance the magic of the story and help the reader immerse themselves into this new world, while the images deepen the experience. It's full of melodies that represent popular characters from the novel, scene music to amplify the action and emotions of certain scenes, and ambient mood music you can put on repeat for when you want to journey through the forest for a while.
All can enjoy the adventure over and over again every time you hear the music, taking you back to your favorite world. The journey shouldn't have to end when you turn the last page!
Inspired by the novel, Green Rider, the music is composed by the lovely Kristina A. Bishoff. It follows the story of Karigan, a spirited young woman, who is unexpectedly thrown into an adventure to save her king and the kingdom of Sacoridia. From fighting monstrous beasts and ruthless mercenaries to dancing with a mysterious Eletian (similar to elves found in other fantasy worlds) at the King's ball, Karigan has had quite the 'wild ride'. Will her adventure prove fatal, or will our young Karigan become the heroine the kingdom needs? Listen to the soundtrack and read the book to find out! www.greenriderbooksoundtrack.com
The artwork, created by the imaginative Madeline Shayne, features different characters and scenes from the Green Rider universe. Her work not only enhances the CD packaging, but also gives fans new and old a chance to glimpse into the rich world of Sacoridia. Even more exciting was the opportunity for some longtime fans to participate and be featured in the soundtrack artwork (like our Karigan and Captain Mapstone)!
We have worked hard to come up with rewards that further immerse you into the world of Green Rider. We hope you will enjoy them as much as we have putting them together. Rewards include:
- Acceptance letters into the Green Riders or Black Shields
- Mystery boxes that contain special items like: moonstone shards, books on horses, the captured scent of battle or an enchanted forest, or a map of Sacoridia.
- Hand-drawn music themes from the soundtrack
- Golden winged horse brooches
- Signed books from the Green Rider series (in Author Special Tier)
- A character named after you in the next Green Rider book (in You're In the Novel Special Tier)
In order to make this book soundtrack & art book, AND offer awesome rewards to our backers, we need to raise a minimum of $30,000. In short this gets us: a few essential musicians & choir, a professionally produced and packaged CD, a beautiful art book, and your really cool rewards for supporting this project.
Meet Our Musicians
Jenny Oaks Baker, a Grammy Nominated, Billboard No. 1 recording violinist, and performer. "Whether her music is experienced live or through one of her many recordings or music videos, it is impossible to escape the magic of her artistry."
Check out her inspiring and amazing "Amazing Grace" performance with Condoleezza Rice.
William Arnold, an expert musician on exotic world flutes, offers enchantingly warm and colorful depth to his music. He'll play an essential part in bringing the ethereal Eletians (similar to the elves from The Lord of the Rings) to life.
Check out just a few of the growing number of instruments he plays.
Here's how it all breaks down:
Record & Produce
- We will record at HUGESound Post Production Studios in Salt Lake City, UT.
- We will record a violin, a couple world flutes, and a choir. The rest of the instruments will be virtual.
- Mixing/Mastering: Mixing takes the recorded and virtual instruments and adjusts volume, dynamics, and adds effects as needed for each and every instrument. Mastering takes the mix, deepens the sound, adds effects as needed, and polishes and prepares it for CD. Both are essential to producing a quality CD, otherwise you'd be overwhelmed with noise instead of great music.
- Composing/Orchestration: Composers envision and write the music. Orchestrators add extra elements to the music to enhance the song, and they write out and prepare the sheet music for musicians to record and perform.
- An estimate based on how many backers will be needed to back this project to raise the minimum, and the average cost of putting together the rewards for every backer.
- Paying the artist for her stunning art and back expenses
- Shipping materials (bubble-wrap, labels, any lost/damaged packages, etc.)
- Rainy Day Expenses for unexpected costs (one example could be underestimating the cost of reward fulfillment.)
- Kickstarter takes a 5% cut of whatever we raise. In return, we get to use this well designed platform to organize, promote, and raise money for our project.
Payment Processing Fee
- This pays for all credit/debit transactions, allowing each and every payment to process so that we can get paid.
- Backerkit is a backer survey and data management platform that helps crowdfunding creators send surveys, sell add-ons and pre-orders, and manage backer data for rewards fulfillment. They streamline the rewards process, by helping us organize backers and reward tiers, and by allowing us to customize pledges (like adding on an extra CD or print from the album art).
With additional funding we could create an even more remarkable soundtrack. We would LOVE to record an entire symphony orchestra to make this album fantastic, epic, and of the highest quality, but that costs more than $30,000 to do, so let me introduce our Stretch Goals.
Reaching these stretch goals would improve the reading and listening experience, and give you more ways to immerse yourselves in the world of Green Rider!
- Record a full string section (violins, violas, cellos, and basses)
Real strings vs. virtual strings
Watching Lord of the Rings on your TV vs. watching it on your phone with no headphones
- SPECIAL from Kristen Britain: A live video reading from the upcoming novella, "The Dream Gatherer"with an illustration reveal, with Kristen's kitties making an appearance
- For Backers Only: Behind the scenes Live stream videos of the recording sessions
- For Backers Only: A special gift drawing for rewards like a signed score of a song of your choice and the conductor's baton used in the recording session!
- Record the entire symphonic orchestra (brass, woodwinds)
Real symphonic orchestra vs. virtual orchestra
Watching Lord of the Rings in THEATERS vs. watching it on your phone with no headphones
- SPECIAL from Kristen Britain: A live video reading from the next Green Rider book in the series, Book 7, with Kristen's kitties making an appearance
- Kristina will write a song and theme for Condor (AKA, Karigan's Horse)
- Hold an epic Album Release Party!
ALL backers will be invited to experience Sacoridia at a special venue that will be inspired by and decorated to reflect the Green Rider universe. Featuring foods fit for hungry riders, a cosplay/costume contest, pro-photographer, gift bags for all, and the soundtrack playing on the speakers. You'll get to meet Kristina and Madeline, and possibly even Kristen Britain!
SPECIAL from Kristen Britain: A live IN PERSON reading at the album release party from the next Green Rider book in the series, Book 7, and the reveal of the working title for Book 7!
(Sadly, Kristen's kitties won't be making an appearance)
*Location to be determined
**For those who cannot attend, we will work on a Live-Streaming option
Kristina A. Bishoff: Composer and 3-time nominee for Best Music in Utah Film/Music Awards, Kristina has written music for Salt Lake Pops, Pretty Darn Funny web-series, commercials for businesses, and alternative pop artists including Robyn Cage (under the remixing name of Kristin Royal.) Recently, she wrote music for Kaladin, a book soundtrack that raised over $100,000 on Kickstarter to create music inspired by Brandon Sanderson's famous novel The Way of Kings. Working on this project inspired Kristina to write her own book soundtrack based off of her favorite series, Green Rider by Kristen Britain.
Madeline Shayne: Fine Art Photographer and Artist, Madeline's work has appeared in several online and offline publications, including Duende Magazine, Boston Voyager Magazine, Blacksburg Belle, and Whim Magazine. Influenced by her love of fantasy, the natural world, and couture fashion, Madeline hopes her work will serve as a whimsical and elegant reminder for all of us to look at where we once were, see how far we've come, and recognize the beauty in that journey.
Kristen Britain: Author of The New York Times Bestselling Green Rider series. Her time as a ranger in the National Park Service inspired her writing for this beloved series, with the first book receiving a 4-star rating with over 26,000 ratings on Goodreads.com. It was nominated in 1999 for both the Locus Award and the Crawford Award.
Michael Bahnmiller: Orchestrator for Green Rider, Michael recently composed music for and spearheaded Kaladin, raising over $100,000 on Kickstarter to create an incredible fantasy book soundtrack for Brandon Sanderson's famous novel The Way of Kings. Michael has written music for producer Rob Fried and the Library of Congress. He's also orchestrated with Philip Klein and prepared music for Conrad Pope and Kevin Kaska, working on films such as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and La La Land.
We wouldn't be here without our fellow friends and fans of the Green Rider Series. Thank you for your support and enthusiasm for this exciting project!
For professional help on reward fulfillment and access to add-ons, we are teaming up with Backerkit.
Risks and challenges
Challenge 1: I, Kristina A. Bishoff, am pregnant and am due in April. As I expect to be exhausted and recovering after delivering my precious bundle of joy, I won't be able to do a lot on this project until May. In anticipation of this, I am making plans now to record at the end of May. I am surrounding myself with family and friends who can help. I am delegating tasks like a pro. And I am giving myself plenty of time to get everything done.
As a result, this album and the rewards will take a little longer than maybe some other projects to deliver to everyone, but know that I am working hard to be both a good professional composer, and a good professional mom. Madeline and I will communicate and update you as frequently as possible on the progress of the project. We want you to be happy with your part in our joint adventure!
Challenge 2: Trying to raise enough money to record an orchestra is expensive! I'm trying to be as realistic, and at the same time as optimistic, as possible. I would love to raise enough money for the highest stretch goal because that would mean recording an entire symphony orchestra and having a fantastic soundtrack album release party! Because of this I have set the amount low enough to have a higher chance of success. The minimum allows us to record soloists, a choir, and produce the album. I'm hoping you all want it to go above and beyond the minimum though because that would make this album, the art book, the party, and all the extras in the stretch goals, ours to share and enjoy!
Risk 1: What if we fail? What if we don't raise all the money necessary to record, produce, and distribute the album?
Well, first off, I'd be sad. Madeline would be sad. Kristen Britain would be sad. And YOU would be sad. Kickstarter is an ALL or NOTHING fundraising platform. So if we don't raise at least $30,000, you don't get your rewards and we don't get any funding.
If we don't raise the funds to record, I would release the soundtrack album as it is currently written. Because the current version is a computer orchestra with bad choir samples, any song written with choir would have to be adjusted and the Eletian song would probably have to be omitted from the soundtrack. It is also likely that we would not be able to offer an art book, so you would miss out on that as well. I hope that there is a strong enough sense of FOMO (fear of missing out) that we are able to raise above and beyond our minimum goal! I myself have major FOMO on this album.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (38 days)