About this project
ALL STRETCH GOALS UNLOCKED!
Thank you for your incredible support! Even the long-reach goal of a 5-song Broodhollow EP was reached! I can't believe how far this Kickstarter went!
As we enter the production and fulfillment phase, you can follow me on this Kickstarter page in the Updates section and Comments sections, as well as on:
And if you missed the opportunity to back, the softcover books and many of the posters, postcards, pins will appear in my online store after the Kickstarter has been fulfilled.
Hello hello hello! My name is Kris and I've been making comics online since the year 2000. I also wrote the short horror story Candle Cove. You can find me on Twitter at @krisstraub.
Last year, I started a new horror project!
Broodhollow is a cosmic horror adventure set in the 1930s. It's about an unlucky encyclopedia salesman, Wadsworth Zane, who is summoned to a small idyllic town to investigate an odd inheritance from a distant relative. But what seem like a series of supernatural encounters could all be an imaginary figment of Zane's obsessive disorders -- which he calls The Pattern.
The little town of Broodhollow, West Virginia is charmingly quirky during the day, and terrifying at night, and it only seems to be getting worse the longer Zane stays. He manages to make a few allies, but it's not the people that are the problem.
Broodhollow wants to get inside your home, and it's desperate for your help.
My goal is to raise $27,500 to cover the printing, fulfillment labor and shipping of at least 2,000 high-quality, full-color 124-page softcover books, and a limited number of clothbound hardcover editions, in addition to new pins, posters, and other backer rewards.
Thanks to backers, the proposed book dimensions have been enlarged to at least 7" x 10.5" (landscape)!
Broodhollow will be told in interconnected stories each designed to stand on their own. The first story, Curious Little Thing, is over 110 pages of full-color comics. I'm not asking for you to fund the creation of Curious Little Thing -- it's done. In fact, you can read the entire story right now. I've been giving it away for free online, page by page, since October of 2012.
This is my first color comic and my first digitally painted comic. Broodhollow has been about pushing myself to grow as a cartoonist. I will be working with printers and knowledgeable professionals who will help me translate the Broodhollow you see on-screen onto the printed page. I'm very aware that there's a lot of dark scenes in this story with a lot of small, bright details -- I want the books to capture all of them.
This Kickstarter is about a book, so backers at all listed reward tiers are getting one -- whether it's digital, softcover or limited-edition clothbound hardcover at the higher tiers.
If the goal is not reached by the completion date, no money will change hands and zero books, pins or posters will be made. Bummer!
With your contribution, you are helping to bring a unique horror story into the world. The central mystery of Broodhollow is very well fleshed out -- and even though the first book is a complete story, we barely glimpse any of the puzzle at the town's center. It's a twist I haven't seen or read anywhere else, and I want to deliver it to you in future stories.
So what gets made if we do hit the goal, besides the book? Oh! What delights await you, dear traveler!
The timeless 1930s affect of Broodhollow is a joy to work in, and ideas pour out of me as blood would from an open wound. I've got postcard sets! And 12x18" cardstock posters!
And I've commissioned fine brass pins for the Society of the Skull and Shovels -- an order we're introduced to in the first story, but one whose importance isn't fully known yet. Luxuriate in their gleam!
And at even higher tiers, I will craft misery for you from whole cloth, by drawing you in Broodhollow fashion being chased by a unique new tormentor of my design! You can even appear in the next story. (I can't promise that it will end well for you.)
If Broodhollow Book 1: Curious Little Thing goes over target, I have enhancements planned that will improve the books, the strip and the Broodhollow experience for everyone! And of course, the further we go over the goal, the better able I will be to devote time to more Broodhollow stories in months (and years) to come!
Scroll down after the graphic for descriptions of each stretch goal!
- $30,000 - REACHED - A downloadable pack of hi-res 1920x1080 wallpapers featuring key moments from Book 1 has been unlocked for ALL REWARD TIERS!
- $40,000 - REACHED - A 12x12" Kickstarter-only print has been unlocked for all reward tiers at and above $33!
- $45,000 - REACHED - ALL softcovers will now feature tasteful spot gloss treatments! Thank you for making this happen, you've improved the quality of the cover!
- $55,000 - REACHED - As everyone knows, the fabled method for brewing switchwater -- the potent non-alcoholic beverage known only to the Broodhollow region -- was lost to time. I will produce a video essay series in which I attempt to resurrect the distinctive flavor of switchwater along with the help of Seattle-area beverage enthusiasts. The recipe will be made public.
- $60,000 - REACHED - Enhancements for all books! The softcover will be embossed! The hardcovers will now feature a foil-stamped Skull and Shovels logo!
- $70,000 - REACHED - A Kickstarter-only 1.5" Cadavre pin for all physical reward tiers at and above $55.
- $85,000 - REACHED - I will produce an ongoing video creepypasta blog review series!! In each episode I will dissect a well-known story from around the internet: Slenderman, smile.jpg, Dead Bart, Squidward's Suicide, Jeff the Killer, Ben Drowned, and more.
- $95,000 - REACHED - I will add a six-page (or longer if need be) backup story to all the books!
- $100,000 - REACHED - Everyone receiving a physical reward ($33 and up) will also get a 1" enamel town pride pin bearing the Broodhollow motto, crossed shovels, and the settlement year (1811)!
- $105,000 - REACHED - Dr. Angstrom found a repressed goal! Now all tiers receiving postcards will get TWO of each -- one to send and one to keep!
- $115,000 - REACHED - All tiers $9 and above will receive the Ichor Falls: A Visitor's Guide PDF!
- $120,000 - REACHED - The final goal: Myself and others will sift through hours of archival recordings to bring you a 5-song EP of regional music in and around the town of Broodhollow, West Virginia. These songs have not been heard in 75 years.
Add-on items! You wanted add-ons, especially the Skull and Shovels initiation set! Here's how it works!
- SKULL AND SHOVELS PIN + INITIATION PAPERS: Add $20.00 to your current base tier pledge
- 1.5" CADAVRE PIN: Add $14.00 to your current base tier pledge
You can only add on items if you are already at a physical reward tier -- that's VISITOR ($33) or higher. PASSERBY and TOURIST tiers are not eligible for add-ons, sorry!
- STEP 1. If you are already a backer, hit the "Manage Your Pledge" button. If you are a new backer, hit the "Back This Project" button.
- STEP 2. Make sure you have selected the tier (VISITOR or above) you wish to pledge at, before any add-ons. That's your BASE TIER.
- STEP 3. Check out the add-on items list above and how much you need to increase your pledge by. For example, if you're backing at the VISITOR level ($33) and want the Cadavre pin, you would now pledge $33 + $14 = $47.
- STEP 4. Hit "Continue to Next Step." Then confirm your new pledge!
Make a note to yourself of what you've added on! When the project has completed and the merchandise is ready to ship (estimated mid October 2013), I will send a backer survey asking for important information, like your shipping address. On the survey, there will be a section where you tell me what you've added on. We'll check it against your increased pledge and then put it in your package!
Risks and challenges
I have been an online cartoonist since 2000, and I have been publishing and shipping original books for the last ten years. I've already priced out the new items being produced with your kind support, and I will be working with reputable fulfillment operations to deliver books and backer rewards in a timely fashion. I have a very strong support network in the webcomics community should any issues arise.
I'm also aware -- having backed several Kickstarters and been involved with others -- that production delays can occur. No matter what happens, backers expect to be told the truth and kept informed. The solution to this is constant communication to let you know exactly what's going on. I vow to provide regular summaries to my backers so you stay aware of the stages of the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
It includes all the digital rewards from INITIATE, but your physical mailing is just the hardcover by itself! It is also eligible for any stretch goals where more items get added to the physical reward tiers (example: extra pins, prints, etc).
At this time the INSOMNIAC tier is not signed.
Very likely, but I will be restricting a number of these items as Kickstarter-only rewards! Thanks for your interest!
Since so many of the tiers contain posters and poster sets, at this time we plan to ship them in large 12 x 18" flat mailers. The posters are nice cardstock and I don't want to roll them; plus we can fit a lot of other rewards in said mailer if we get to our stretch goals!
Yes. A big mosquito landed on my leg and stuck me. That slap sounds so loud in the video.
Will I be able to add items a la carte to my existing tier? For example, let's say I backed at the INITIATE level -- could I get a Mercy pin if I up my pledge?
As of July 15, I'm looking into this! I will have to check with my fulfillment service. If it becomes doable, I will announce it in an update, on Twitter, on the Broodhollow site, and all the usual channels. Thank you!
Will I be able to add non-Broodhollow items a la carte to my order if I increase my pledge by some amount? For example, let's say I backed at the INITIATE tier, but I'd also like a Starslip or Chainsawsuit book.
As of July 15, I'm looking into this as well, but I'm hesitant. The limiting factor here is the dimensions of the mailing box -- 12 x 18 x 2". This box will perfectly hold all the existing rewards in a single mailing, and the postage and labor has been calculated to that size and weight.
If I allow you to add, say, all six Starslip books to your order -- which I'd be grateful for! -- I would not be able to use that flat mailer, and I'd have to calculate a new postage to account for the new size and weight (all six books weigh close to 6 pounds).
It is POSSIBLE, but I'm hesitant to launch that functionality without checking with Brian at the warehouse.
If it becomes doable, I will announce it in an update, on Twitter, on the Broodhollow site, and all the usual channels. Thanks!
Of course! Physical reward tiers that require a mailing address also ask you to contribute more to cover international shipping and handling.
Support this project
- (30 days)