Simple style, with a not-so-simple technology
- KG Tee: A super soft and ultra-breathable and stain-resistant shirt that you didn’t think existed. Combined with a silver ionization treatment, the KG Tee keeps you comfortable, clean and fresh for days on end!
- KG Socks: The sock re-imagined. Don’t feel self-conscious about your feet anymore - The KG Socks are treated with an advanced silver ionization treatment that kills odour at its source. A unique Honeycomb padding provides comfort and support while increasing breathability. The KG Socks will put a new spring in your step!
Invisible Technical is a term that we use to describe our design philosophy. While we can all appreciate the technical performance of high-end athletic or industrial wear, these often come at the cost of everyday practicality. We seek to develop and combine design and advanced material science solutions that not only address our customers’ most important functional needs but can be ‘invisibly’ integrated. What does this mean? Functionality that doesn’t compromise the basic and thoughtful style of our approach. This unique approach is what enables ultimate versatility for whatever your day throws at you.
What makes your shirt so special?
5 words: Comfort, Odourless, Antibacterial, Stain-resistant + Breathable.
Stain Resistant Exterior: Our shirt features an advanced hydro repellent treatment that helps liquids roll right off. By preventing liquids from penetrating the fabric, the risk of stains developing is minimized. While other shirts have boasted similar features, The KG Tee and the sum of all its parts will keep you impressed. Whether it be an accidental spill, or an intentional spill to show off your shirt, the KG Tee has got you covered.
Anti-Odour/Antibacterial (Silver Ionization Treatment): Our product is treated with medical-grade Silver Chloride, which effectively kills over 99% of all bacteria, and therefore kills odour at its source. We’ve been selected to partner with an industry-leading chemical company in Germany and have been working with them to develop this unique advanced treatment. Aside from personally testing treatment’s effectiveness, we have sent the product to testers around the world to put the odour killing claims to the test. And to be sure, we performed laboratory tests to evaluate our treatment’s antibacterial abilities.
Hyperabsorption Interior: Our fabric has a hyperabsorption treatment built in, which is designed to pull moisture away from the body so that the it doesn't sit on the skin, giving you that wet feeling. Typically, hydro repellent (stain-resistant) fabrics trap moisture in, feeling like a plastic bag on the skin. With added breathability mixed in, a stain-resistant shirt that feels this nice is unprecedented.
4-Way Comfort Stretch: We use a balanced blend of fibres, including Lycra, for a flexible fit that also provides extreme comfort. The 4-way stretch will shape to you and move with you, all the while maintaining its form and durability over the course of many washes.
Breathability: The combination of 4-way stretch and our weaving pattern makes our shirt more breathable than other hydro repellent shirts on the market. While our shirt won’t replace a rain jacket, we’ve struck the perfect balance of hydro repellency and breathability.
- Flat-lock Stitching: The same comfortable stitching from our underwear is also used in our shirts to make seams more durable and reduce irritation on the skin.
- Ultra-Soft Fabric: By combining the flexibility of Lycra, the strength of high-quality long-staple cotton and the silky softness of Modal, we have created a fabric that will make you feel as amazing as you look.
The proof is in the details
- Breathability, softness AND stain resistance: While being a useful feature, water and stain repellency often come at the cost of breathability and softness. Other shirts on the market are often described as rough, stiff and are likened to wearing a plastic bag. Although we aren’t the first to make a stain repellent shirt, we are the first to create a breathable, ultra-soft tee while still achieving a top repellency score.
- Lab-tested long-lasting repellent ability: We’ve subjected our shirts to intense tests to ensure that they meet the most rigorous standards. Our fabric underwent the following AATCC lab tests:
Note: The performance can be improved by ironing the garments (see care instructions for more details.)
- Thoughtful design: It’s not only about what we made but also how we made it. We spent time to listen to our customers. We sent out surveys and beta test samples to testers across the globe to get a better understanding of how to address pain points and improve our products. Then we perfected every last detail so that every experience with our product will defy your expectations.
- Balanced form and comfort: By working with our Pulse Labs program, we learned that not only softness, but stretchiness as well, was key to delivering a comfortable wearing experience. It wasn’t easy… we had to develop 4 combinations of fabrics in order to strike the optimal balance between stretchiness and softness while ensuring the overall form integrity of the tee.
The key challenge when choosing materials to make any textile product is to find the optimal balance of fabrics. There are trade-offs that are made with the introduction of each new fabric, feature and treatment. For example, a piece of fabric can’t be both completely waterproof and super breathable. So in our design process, we identified pain points and found materials that offered suitable solutions. Learn more about our process in our FAQ.
What is the KG Tee made of?
We blended 47% Modal fibres with 47% high quality combed cotton combined with 6% Elastane. Compared to our 150 gsm (gram per square meter) underwear fabric, our T-shirt fabric goes up to 200 gsm. Why? Because it makes sense for the t-shirt to be constructed of a heavier material, even though it results in increased cost and fewer T-shirts made per roll of fabric. Heavier (more tightly knit) fabric increases durability, shape retention, stain repellency and opacity.
These are no ordinary socks. All the comfort of padded socks with the benefit of breathability and enhanced odour resistance.
Honeycomb Modular Padding: Cushioned socks have become a popular choice due to the increased level of support and comfort provided as well as the ability to help reduce blistering. However, cushioning often reduces breathability, trapping heat and moisture in. Some socks are (ineffectively) designed with mesh only on top to allow heat to escape. With KG socks you don’t have compromise: have full cushioned comfort and support, while simultaneously receiving enhanced breathability even through the bottom of the sock.
Anti-Odour/antibacterial (Silver Ionization Treatment): Foot odour is a common problem among men. We’ve researched and tried various different solutions to help control foot odour. Our socks were treated with the same advanced silver ionization treatment that our shirts undergo that actively kills bacteria and odour at their source. Our beta testers put the socks through rigorous testing and for each tester, the KG sock outperformed any other alternative that our beta testers used to combat their foot odours.
Note: The KG Sock can prevent odours by killing new bacteria, but cannot guarantee old shoe odours will be addressed. As long as your shoes have not already absorbed odour, you will be able to enjoy the full benefit of the KG Sock.
Comfort and Breathability: You can pack as many features as you want into a sock, but if it’s not comfortable, it won’t be your go-to sock. We’ve sourced the best materials to ensure that the KG Sock is soft and comfortable. In addition to the honeycomb padding, we have incorporated mesh panels on the top of the sock for added circulation. A fitted band helps to keep the sock from sliding off the foot.
Extra Durability: The worst part about finding a new favourite sock, is the thought of an inevitable hole forming in the future. With the KG Sock, we’ve optimized the use of nylon to reinforce the heel and toe. So a longer lifespan will mean that you’ll be able to love your KG Socks even longer!
What is the KG Sock made of?
We blended 50% German Bayer ultra-fine anti-pilling acrylic with 17% hyper absorbing bamboo fibre and 17% high quality combed cotton. This blend offers 2.5x more durability than the average wool sock, all while maintaining high absorbency. To ensure a form-fitting experience with our socks, we have also included 2% Dupont Lycra, which will last longer than the elastic in regular socks. Finally, we added 14% Nylon to the toe and heel for added reinforcement and durability.
How does Silver ionization odourless protection work?
Our silver ionization treatment permanently protects your garment and prevents odour from building up. Silver Chloride is added to the fabric and is the active odour killing agent. Silver Chloride occurs in nature and is commonly used for storing drinking water and for medical appendages. Our chemical treatment partner in Germany also ensures that this silver ion treatment is EPA-certified and that the active ingredient complies with Oeko-Tex Standard 100 bluesign®
Sweat itself is odourless; however, the combination of moisture and heat creates the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. When bacteria reacts with the protein found in sweat, odour is created. The silver ion treatment inhibits the growth of odour producing bacteria, effectively protecting your garment from odour build-up.
One gram of our silver ion treatment solution can cover approximately 600,000 cm² in surface area. The increased coverage area can reduce the required resources by approximately 100 times, compared with using metallic silver, while still achieving the same performance.
How does Hydro-repellency (stain resistance) work?
Our advanced treatment is applied to the outer layer of our fabric, forming millions of microscopic “hairs” on the surface. When an aqueous liquid comes in contact with the fabric surface, these hydrophobic hairs partially offset the surface tension of the liquid (the cohesive force of the hairs is larger than the surface tension of the liquid). Subsequently, the liquid remains as sphere-shaped drops that roll off right off the surface.
While not necessary after every single wash, ironing the fabric helps reset the orientation of the microscopic hairs and repair intermolecular bonds which improves the hydro-repellent performance after regular wear. The microscopic hairs are created as a result of a chemical reaction. Over time, when washing the water-repellent fabric, molecular bonds can break. Exposure to high temperatures when ironing will re-crosslink the broken molecular bonds, thus improving the hydro-repellent performance.
How does Hyper-absorption work?
A hydrophilic treatment is applied to the interior of the shirt. This treatment pulls moisture from the body through the hydrophilic layer which is then quickly absorbed by absorbent fibres in the fabric layer. Under normal conditions, the moisture is then evaporated through the hydro-repellent outer layer, which promotes breathability in the garment.
Our shirts have a tapered fit, for a casual fit it is recommended to go up a size.
Tumble drying at high temperatures can help to extend the hydro-repellent performance (see the “How does Hydro-repellancy (stain resistance) work?” section for an explanation of how this works).
This project is promoted by Jellop, the ad tech power behind the best Kickstarters with 850+ successful Kickstarter projects with over $370M raised between them.
Want to know more about our story? Check out our FAQ to hear about why we do what we do!
We are committed to providing a customer service experience that exceeds expectations. We’ve heard of (and experienced ourselves) horror stories about other crowdfunding campaigns. As backers, ourselves, our customer service philosophy revolves around clear communication and working hard to deliver an exceptional experience.
We are grateful to people who were willing to trust and support us in our first Kickstarter campaign, and we have been laying the groundwork to ensure that our backers will be just as satisfied the second time around. Thank you for joining on this journey, we are grateful for your continued support. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us directly at email@example.com
Risks and challenges
1. If backers are not following our updates and emails, there is a possibility that our surveys for fulfillment might not reach them. This, in turn, may affect our ability to fulfill orders on time and offer the level of service we wish to achieve.
2. Should market conditions change (ex. China-Us trade war), the operational costs may change, affecting cash on hand for production. Production capital should only be affected by Kickstarter related shifts. For example, lower than expected return from online advertising for the Kickstarter may lower KG’s financial flexibility.
3. Should demand for the product exceed our predictions by an unprecedented amount, manufacturers may need additional time for manufacturing.
4. Despite having made a concerted effort to thoroughly explain our product and design processes, there may be a misalignment of consumer expectations with tangible real-world performance. Once again, the shirts are not rain jackets; they are meant to help mitigate the effects of accidental spills. Our products can’t change existing smells; they can only prevent odour created as a result of bacteria forming.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)