It is a time of blood, of ritual, of war. Gods walk among the tribes, each hungering for the devotion that gives them form. Though the gods are many, only one will endure the ages above all others.
Mezo is an innovative game of area control for 2-4 players inspired by Mayan mythology. Players control a powerful god and a tribe of followers. These tribes will clash for dominance, build step pyramids, and make sacrifices all in the name of their god.
The first big box game from Small Box Games designer John Clowdus (Omen, Hemloch, Neolithic), Mezo redefines area control and conflict-driven game play. The game features massive god miniatures, each with vastly asymmetrical strategies, as well as numerous paths for players to achieve victory!
This campaign also proudly offers the TRIBE pledge level: a non-miniatures edition of Mezo that includes all stretch goals! Plastic components are replaced with wooden components and cardboard standees.
For more insight into what makes Mezo such an innovative game, we invite you to watch the comprehensive videos below. This section also includes a summary of game steps about the heart of the game: the Conflict Step.
A game of Mezo plays out over three ages with the core of each age being defined by the Conflict Phase. At the start of the phase the top conflict tile will be revealed showing which region the conflict will occur.
After all conflicts in an age have been resolved, the age ends. At the end of the third age, the most powerful god rises above all others!
- Mezo is the eighth campaign from Kolossal Games. While Kolossal is new to the industry, we hit the ground running, armed with the knowledge of industry best practices, experienced partners, and wonderful games. Our first game Western Legends is in the process of fulfillment. We believe in open and honest communication and will share all info as we receive it with our backers.
- This is the first big box game by prolific designer John Clowdus. John has designed dozens of successful games over the last eight year through his own brand Small Box Games (Omen, Hemloch, Neolithic). Mezo is no exception to the quality and level of innovation he brings to everything he touches.
- Kolossal does not sell to online discounters. Backers will receive the game at a lower cost (even after shipping rates) and before the retail release of the game. Tribe pledge backers save $40 before shipping. Chieftain pledge backers save $50 before shipping. Devoted pledge backers receive $55 before shipping. The pyramid add-on has $5 savings now as well. Further, direct sales via the Kolossal website will only be to US customers.
- This campaign features a simplified production level of the game without miniatures for those that want to back Mezo at a more affordable level.
- Our team is led and supported by industry and marketing experts. We have a machine that works, fueled by amazing games that are designed, developed, and illustrated by incredibly talented people. The game is easy to learn while providing interesting, diverse, and tense game play each game, combining familiar mechanisms in a unique, new way.
- The game contains incredible illustrations, graphic design, and miniature designs from talented illustrator Daryl Toh.
- We are committed to begin fulfillment to backers of this game before it is made available in retail. Components and materials for the game are in the final stages of completion upon launch. All files will be uploaded to our manufacturing partner within one week of the campaign's ending. This ensures timely delivery to our backers.
- By backing at ANY pledge level through our campaign, you will receive, at no extra cost, the Souls for Xibalba. This expansion will be comprised of stretch goals unlocked throughout the campaign and will only be available directly through Kolossal (at a cost) after the campaign. We have many exciting and interactive goals planned for those who are backers of Kolossal's eighth official release!
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge. For example, if you pledge $80 to help back the project, we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any stretch goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured.
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and share with your friends and family. Also, be sure to like Kolossal Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real-time updates about this project, and find us on Instagram and BoardGameGeek for even more!
Please click on your desired reward level to see the shipping cost for your region. Every backer is important to us, regardless of location, but the reality is that shipping is very expensive and is a cost we all need to share. To offset this, while remaining fiscally responsible, we have included a small discount on ALL shipping, but no shipping is free.
This campaign includes Customs-Friendly delivery to the US, Canada, the UK, and the EU. Customs-Friendly means, if you live in any of these regions and have any additional charges for receiving your package, simply email email@example.com a copy of your customs receipt and we will reimburse you via PayPal. Note: If your country is not in one of the above-mentioned regions, we cannot guarantee customs friendly shipping in these areas. (For example, Norway & Switzerland are not in the European Union.)
Be aware that all pledges confirmed after the pledge manager deadline may be shipped at a later date.
Due to the unpredictable customs practice in Brazil, we'll not cover any duty charges or other fees occurred. If the backer refuses to pay the charges or fees and the game is returned to us the backer will not be reimbursed for their order.
The table below gives you a general timeline of what to expect once the campaign ends. Please keep in mind these are just estimates, and the timeline may vary due to circumstances.
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
Our team has years of experience with publishing games and an impeccable track record of successfully delivering previous Kickstarter projects to thousands of supporters in a timely fashion--if not sooner. Our commitment to building a strong, supportive community around Kolossal Games will enable us to also deliver this project on time and with the highest quality possible. That said, there are always complexities and considerations in a project of this scope that may cause delays. There are many steps in the process of manufacturing and fulfilling a game, many of which involve partnerships. Through careful and thorough planning, common mistakes can be avoided. However, possible delays can occur from circumstances beyond our immediate control. If such an issue is encountered, our team will adapt and no corners will be cut to course correct as needed. Our greatest obstacle is simply the funding capital to manufacture such an ambitious product. Your contribution makes this a reality!
- (19 days)