A gentle breeze. The soothing sounds of a gently flowing river. The glow of the moon. A bountiful harvest. Basic human emotions such as fear and rage. Even death. They all have an unseen force guiding them. And while these forces work together to make the world what it is, they each aspire for influence over those who believe in them.
Designed by Kolossal's own AJ Lambeth, Kami-sama is a beautiful and intuitive strategy game set in rural Japan during the Edo period. Two to four players will assume the roles of Kami, the spirits of the land. Using a combination of asymmetrical player powers, area control, set collection, pattern building, and light card drafting, players will work to balance their Favor with the people and their connection to Nature in order to be crowned Kami-sama, the chief deity of the land.
The Spirit Way add-on expansion introduces four new kami
- Daikono, the kami of radishes
- Kari, the kami of the hunt
- Kitakori, the kami of ice
- Yuma, the kami of dreams
These kami introduce new interactive strategies through their unique abilities. Additionally, the Spirit Way expansion includes the Merchant villager, one copy per villager deck, as well as the kami-specific components below.
The Awakened expansion will be unlocked upon reaching our first stretch goal. Throughout the campaign, more content will be added to make this a substantial expansion full of diverse content. The Awakened expansion will be an amenity at no additional cost to backers of the game! Further, it will not be available in the initial retail release of Kami-sama. A summary of the contents of the expansion is below!
For more information on how to play Kami-sama, we encourage you to watch our "How to Play" video below. You may also download and peruse our draft rulebook here.
After funding, backers will unlock The Awakened expansion, which backers will build throughout the campaign! This expansion will not be available in the initial retail release of Kami-sama. Backers will receive The Awakened expansion at no additional cost for participating in our campaign.
In addition to the traditional funding goals above, Kolossal would love to invite you to participate in our interactive social stretch goals. Simply click the links below to join in the conversation.
- Kami-sama is the second project from Kolossal Games. Though Kolossal is new to the industry, our President - Travis R. Chance - is not. Travis was a founder of Action Phase Games. He is an expert at Kickstarter, funding every game he brought to the platform, including Western Legends, Heroes Wanted, Kodama, and Aeon's End. Our team has spent the last 8 months preparing for the launch of Kami-sama in every way possible.
- The game is easy to learn while providing interesting and diverse play each game. Combining familiar mechanisms in a unique presentation, we are confident Kami-sama will be in your game collection for years to come.
- The game is beautifully illustrated by our friends at Gong Studios (Netrunner LCG, Charterstone).
- We are committed to begin fulfillment of Kami-sama before the game is made available in retail.
- Components and materials for the game are near completion upon launch. All files will be uploaded to our manufacturing partner within one week after the end of the campaign. This ensures timely delivery to our backers.
- By backing Kami-sama through this campaign, you will receive - at no extra cost - The Awakened expansion. This expansion will include unlocked Stretch Goal content not available in the initial retail release of Kami-sama. We have many exciting and interactive goals planned for those who are backers of Kolossal's second release!
- Hundreds of hours have gone into the design and development of this game to ensure a balanced and enjoyable experience. Through extensive global internal and open testing, Kami-sama provides a rich gaming experience like no other game out there.
- The utmost thought and care were taken with regard to the theme and source material for the game. As with all of Kolossal's releases, we strive to show diversity and thoughtfully approach inclusion.
Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Every month, tens of thousands of people pledge millions of dollars to creative projects in dozens of categories.
A person who supports a project is called a "backer." The process of giving money to this project is called a "pledge."
In return for your pledge, we (the creators of the campaign) are able to offer "rewards," depending on the amount you pledge. For example, if you pledge $50 to help back the project, we'll offer you a copy of the game along with any stretch goals we achieve as soon as it is manufactured.
You can become a backer in just three easy steps:
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount, and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few seconds! That's it! It's really that simple! Thank you for backing!
Once you've backed this project, we encourage you to share this page on social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter and share with your friends and family. Also, be sure to like Kolossal Games on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for real-time updates about this project and more!
Please click on your desired reward level to see the shipping cost for your region. Every backer is important to us, regardless of location, but the reality is that shipping is very expensive and is a cost we all need to share. To offset this, while remaining fiscally responsible, we have included a small discount on ALL shipping, but no shipping is free.
The Kami-sama campaign includes Customs-Friendly delivery to the US, Canada, the UK, the EU, Australia, and New Zealand. Customs-Friendly means, if you live in any of these regions and have any additional charges for receiving your package, simply email email@example.com a copy of your customs receipt and we will reimburse you via PayPal.
Add-Ons for this project are included in the reward tiers and will be available after the project within the pledge manager.
If you'd like to add additional copies to your pledge beyond what is available in the reward tiers, you may do so within the pledge manager after the project.
Risks and challenges
While Kami-sama is only the second Kickstarter project from Kolossal Games, our team has years of experience with publishing games. We have an impeccable track record of successfully delivering previous Kickstarter projects to thousands of supporters in a timely fashion--if not sooner. Our commitment to building a strong, supportive community around Kolossal Games will enable us to also deliver this project on time and with the highest quality possible.
That said, there are always complexities and considerations in a project of this scope that may cause delays. There are many steps in the process of manufacturing and fulfilling a game, many of which involve partnerships. Through careful and thorough planning, common mistakes can be avoided. However, possible delays can occur from circumstances beyond our immediate control. If such an issue is encountered, our team will adapt and no corners will be cut to course correct as needed.
Our greatest obstacle is simply the funding capital to manufacture such an ambitious product of the highest quality capable. Your contribution makes this a reality!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (19 days)