Broken - Experience the world's demise from the front lines!
Broken - Experience the world's demise from the front lines!
A team of Blizzard Entertainment veterans bring you this near-future, episodic action-adventure horror game.
A team of Blizzard Entertainment veterans bring you this near-future, episodic action-adventure horror game. Read more
Thank you for your support of our game Broken! While we were not successful in reaching our funding goal on Kickstarter, we appreciate those who believed in Broken and look forward to completing development and sharing it with everyone.
This is no ending; we will be continuing our search for funding through other avenues and through the Broken website listed below.
You can still help us make this game - it is not too late. You can stay updated by going to our website and blog at:
If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please feel free to contact us by emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to working with you through our continued development efforts.
What is Broken?
Broken is an episodic third-person action adventure game series set in the year 2021. This is an original story that follows the personal adventure of Logan Kyle, a Navy Seal, and his family as they experience the end of the world on the front lines of an extremist group's catastrophic global biological weapon attack, resulting in death and a rare, but most horrific mutation.
The story is rooted in the ever escalating conflicts of current day events. In the year 2015 a well-funded extremist group resolute on eliminating non-believers discovers an abandoned Soviet era bunker in the mountains northeast of Kabul in Afghanistan. Within the complex, they find a biological warfare lab containing several live cultures that they believe will help them in their goals. The group begins developing the cultures into a biological weapon the likes of which the world had never seen. After six years, with major advancements in modern technology, research and development the weapon is ready.
The beginning of our series kicks off with Logan and his Seal team being given orders to investigate a small village outside Kabul, after an informant tells their command that something is wrong in the village.
While Logan is on a mission, he can't help but think about his wife Selene. Will he safely return from his mission? Or will she see him in her hospital once again? Maybe this time he won't be in one piece.
Checkout some of the work that we've done so far...
What's inspired us to make this game?
Great ideas come from everywhere, but for this game in particular here are a few of the games that we are inspired by:
- The Last of Us - The Last of Us is a huge inspiration for us not only as game developers, but as people. We felt empathy for the characters in the story, we related to the struggles they faced, and our minds raced with the possibility of what we might do if thrown into similar situations as Joel and Elle.
- The Half-life series - The storytelling and gameplay delivered in the Half-life games we believe is second to none. Playing these games in their heyday was simply mesmerizing. As soon as you step foot into the game, the story takes you on an immersive adventure of exploration, discovery, and thrill.
- The Walking Dead game series - The characters, writing, and the tempo of this series are outstanding. The telling of Lee's story, the presentation of choices you make about how your character exists in the zombie apocalypse, as well as the downtime in between the action all add to the ability as a player to live in the world.
How will Broken be different?
Broken's focus is 100% story driven; all aspects of the game will support that goal. We will be doing away with some of the time draining staples of the current action-adventure scene such as repetitive puzzle-based level design, arbitrary collection artifacts, obscenely difficult enemy spawn encounters, and superfluous achievements.
Essentially, our goal is to offer unique immersive story experiences and to streamline gameplay such that returning to our game in between gameplay sessions is as seamless as possible. Ever stopped playing a game for a few weeks only to return to it and have no idea what the controls were? Yeah, us too.
Why start with pre-production?
Nailing pre-production is one of the single most important aspects of creating games today. It allows a development team to establish a tangible vision for the game experience that everyone on the team can get excited about and use as a guide throughout the rest of development.
It also allows the team to answer the difficult questions about a game upfront, as opposed to the week before launch...which unfortunately is standard practice in the gaming industry right now.
We will be unveiling more of our story, concept work, and progress as part of our exclusive contributor rewards!
What will be created and delivered at the end of pre-production?
In pre-production, we'll lock down:
- The complete script for each of the six episodes of the first season
- Storyboards for each episode of the first season
- Concept art for characters, environments, and major scenes that will be encountered in the first season
- The overall in-game style for all visual and aural aspects of the game (environments, characters, animations, textures, vfx, lighting, cutscenes, sfx, music, major character VO, etc.)
- A detailed production plan for creation of the entire first season
- An alpha game experience representing full game mechanics, as well as aural and visual styles.
The alpha game experience will include most major game design elements in a playable state:
- Engaging level design with scripted events and puzzle-like encoutners
- Gun play with ammo, reload, weapon switching, aim down sights (ADS)
- Hand to hand combat, NPC grab, human shield, and killing blows
- Destructible objects, moveable objects, object interaction (collection, pickup, throwing)
- Ladder/rope climbing, cliff edge walking, rope rappel
- Medkit crafting (more crafting options will be available at product release)
- and more!
How long does pre-production take?
How will the money raised be used in pre-production?
What happens next?
- Initial development costs are lower, meaning your future costs as a player are smaller (Most AAA games today cost 10s of millions of dollars to produce)
- Initial product costs will be lower for our player, meaning the risk you take as a consumer is significantly reduced and you can play as much of the series as you want
- Our initial production schedule will be shorter, meaning that you get games and content faster (Most AAA games today take 3+ years to develop)
- The incentive on the developer and publisher (us) to make a great game from the first episode is MUCH higher, meaning you get only the best quality products
- Our seasonal approach to releasing new content will allow us to add new features and explore new technologies in between seasons, meaning we will stay committed to improving our products long after their initial release
We Need Your Help!
We have made it as far as we can on our own dime and are ready to get this party started. By meeting our pre-production goal of $275,000, we will be able to continue developing the world and themes of Broken and position ourselves in a great way to keep the company private, or if needed find a strong publishing partner who will help us deliver on our complete vision for Broken.
"Ruptured" - Tier 4 Reward
"Severed" - Tier 6 Reward
"Mangled" - Tier 7 Reward
Thank you for your time!
We are very excited to develop Broken. With your support we will make something amazing and we are looking forward to sharing this adventure with you. If you have any questions or comments, don't hesitate to comment or reach out via email (email@example.com).
Joeyray & Kevin
Risks and challenges
Even with our vast experience in the art of game development, there are risks and challenges. However, these risks and challenges will be faced head on with our experience and should not impact our backers. Quite the contrary, with the experience and openness that we bring you'll get an inside look into how we overcome those challenges and maybe even get to contribute to helping us solve them.
Because we will be working mostly with developers on a freelance basis through pre-production we are better able to manage risk at each stage of our pre-production. With this structure we will keep within budget by knowing costs before work is started.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)