Players build technologies and take sides with notorious gunfighters and heroes of the Wild West in this expansion to Dark Horse.
If you missed this campaign, you can pre-order and still get Add On’s and Stretch Goals at our website:
Rebels & Rogues will be the first big expansion for the Dark Horse game and will add the following:
- A Rebel & Rogue card deck full of real world heroes, legends and notorious outlaws from the Wild West.
- A Progress card deck that includes real world technologies and buildings that changed the landscape of the Old West.
- White Hat and Black Hat tokens will track a players reputation.
- Five new Action Space tokens add new options.
- Five new Player Characters will be added: Blacksmith, Homesteader, Charlatan, Architect and Scientist.
- Mystery Hex tokens will add unique hexes like Ghost Towns, Silver Mines and Outlaw Hideouts to the Territory Map.
The Wild West was characterized by famous heroes, villains, lawmen and outlaws. To simulate this the expansion will introduce the concept of players having a specific reputation and allowing them to choose a side. Reputation is collected through various Action Spaces and cards by offering two distinct options in either White Hat or Black Hat tokens. For every four reputation tokens a player controls he/she will receive an additional Victory Point.
The Rebels & Rogue deck consists of characters that have abilities which give players new options and allow them to accomplish actions easier. In general, White Hat characters assist players in producing resources, building, drawing cards and even collecting silver and gold. Black Hat characters have abilities that allow you to bend the rules and harass opponents. Black Hat characters can also steal from certain Action Spaces, but can be challenged by other characters which results in a gunfight. By hiring characters a player will gain either a White Hat or Black Hat status. This in turn adds in thematic decisions that will affect player’s options on cards.
A new type of hex will be added to the game called Mystery Hexes. These unique locations can be taken over by a player who has access to that hex. Some of the hexes add new abilities to collect silver where others give you unique options based on your reputation. For example, a player with a White Hat status can remove an Outlaw Hideout for a reward. A player with a Black Hat status can claim the Outlaw tokens on that hex to make his characters even stronger.
Five new Player Character cards will be added to the game which have abilities that revolve around the new expansion content. Check out our "Legend" reward level for more information on how your caricature can be added to these cards.
PLEASE NOTE: The Rebels & Rogues expansion requires the Dark Horse board game to be able to play it.
"Knight Works has spent a lot of time and effort on the expansion for Dark Horse. We feel the expansion takes the base game to a whole new level and adds a lot of theme and interaction, but don't take our word for it. Check out Rahdo Runs Through - Final Thoughts video below."
Please check out the following links for more information on the Dark Horse expansion:
- Rahdo Runs Through with Richard Ham (Video Preview) - Click here
- Undead Viking Reviews with Lance Myxter (Video Preview) - Click here
- Drive Thru Review with Joel Eddy (Video Preview) - Click here
- Father Geek with Cyrus Kirby (Preview) - Click here
- All Us Geeks with Jeff & Jordan (Preview) - Click here
- All Us Geeks with Jeff King (Interview) - Click here
- Today In Board Games with Roger Hicks (Interview) - Click here
HISTORY: The Dark Horse board game was funded by Kickstarter backers on June 21st, 2011. We received the game and shipped out copies to backers in January of 2012. Back in early 2011 I considered Knight Works to be an early adopter on Kickstarter. The Dark Horse board game was the 43rd successful project in the "Tabletop Game" category. Since then over 1,300 other projects have been successful in this category. Six months after the first campaign funded we watched a surge of backers become aware of Kickstarter. By 2012 many projects were receiving $25,000 or more. Since then I have been watching and backing projects. In short, I feel we are better prepared and ready to start delivering multiple fun and thematic titles in 2014. We promise to take you along for the ride and include backers in all of the nuts and bolts behind the scenes action.
DARK HORSE GAME OVERVIEW: The game is set in the Wild West and has an average playing time of 30 to 90 minutes once you have learned the game. Players take over the role of a land baron with special abilities that give players unique advantages as well as a starting bonus. Each player collects and uses various resources to build towns, cities, and rails to grow their territories.
Each turn players roll two dice and place those dice on a specific Action Space on the game board. To avoid unlucky dice rolls, the game has numerous ways that players can manipulate their dice. The game promotes fast play as each player takes turns placing one or more dice on only one action until all dice are placed. Action Spaces can include , but are not limited to: drawing cards, collecting resources, building additional towns and cities and taking special actions such as the Sheriff, Mayor, Trader, or Tycoon. The objective of the game is to collect the most victory points. Players do this by expanding their territory, collecting gold, and obtaining Influence Points from certain actions on the game board. Click here for a PDF of the Dark Horse rule book.
Check out the following reviews for more information on the Dark Horse board game:
- Dice Tower with Tom Vasal (Video Preview) - Click here
- Rahdo Runs Through with Richard Ham (Video Review) - Click here
- Undead Viking Reviews with Lance Myxter (Video Preview) - Click here
- Father Geek with Cyrus Kirby (Full Review) - Click here
- islaythedragon.com with Jason (Full Review) - Click Here
- Game Knight with Dave Breen (First Play Review) - Click here
- Elephant Reviews with Dušan Takáč (Full Review) - Click here
KICKSTARTER: All projects on Kickstarter do not charge backers until the project reaches the end date and reaches its funding goal. If our project reaches the goal then Knight Works, LLC will receive the funding within 14 days of the project end date. At that point I will begin working with the manufacturer to produce the expansion. Based on my estimates it will take approximately seven months to receive the game. Once we have the game a survey will be sent out through the Kickstarter website to collect the shipping addresses.
SHIPPING - Customers in the United States will be sent the game(s) free of charge. This includes Alaska and Hawaii. Due to the significant cost to ship a package overseas I will be shipping packages through USPS First Class mail. With that being said, I will still need to ask for International supporters to include additional funds to cover the expense. NOTE: Rewards that include both the base game and the expansion have higher International shipping because the base game will ship immediately once the funds clear.
SHIPPING (Canada & UK) - Backers will need to add $10 for the base game and another $7 for the expansion. NOTE: You will need to add the $10 and/or $7 to your pledge amount as the International shipping field does not currently adjust and has only one setting.
SHIPPING (International) - Backers will need to add $25 for the base game and another $10 for the expansion. This is already calculated in the International Shipping field.
All backers that choose a reward that includes a caricature must provide a suitable photograph of yourself or a person that is aware you are using their photograph for this reward. I will send out a message to the backers of this reward once the project closes. If you cannot provide a suitable photograph within two weeks after the project closes I may need to include your caricature in an upcoming game. (Please Note: By pledging for a reward that includes a caricature you are taking responsibility for that illustration as if you hired an artist to draw the image yourself.)
- Add $20 - BUNDLE 1 (Includes all Add-On's below except for Unique and Stretch Add On's.
- Add $10 - Five player expansion!!! (See Update #2)
- Add $5 - Exclusive game box for the expansion. (Art coming soon.)
- Add $4 - Outlaw Mini-expansion. (Click here for info.)
- Add $2 - Salty Troll Promo Card. (Click here for info.)
- Add $2 - Revised Kickstarter Player Character card. The artwork and card name will be changed but the abilities remain the same as the original. (Click here for info.)
- Add $2 - Four Outlaw Meeples for 2-Player Gunslinger variant from the Dark Horse Board Game. (Refer to Page 16 of the rule book here.)
- STRETCH: Add $4 - To include the County Seat variant mentioned in Stretch Goals.
- STRETCH: Add $4 - To include the eight additional Resource Hexes mentioned in Stretch Goals.
- STRETCH: Add $5 - To include a full color 50 page score pad mentioned in Stretch Goals.
- UNIQUE: Add $15 - To include the reward mentioned in the "Ace-High" pledge reward. (Click here for info.) *** UPDATE: You can now create two unique cards if you like instead of just one!
- UNIQUE: Add $60 - Wanted Poster mentioned in the $120 "Wanted" pledge reward.
We started developing board games back in 2000, but it was not until the introduction of Kickstarter that we were able to mass produce games. We have many titles designed, heavily play tested and ready to go. The number one issue in getting those games produced is the high cost to manufacture board and card games. With your help we can bring numerous fun, high quality and thematic games to players across the world.
100% of the money we gather from Kickstarter will be used to pay for printing costs or for the cost of making/delivering awards (shipping, etc). If we raise significantly more, the extra will go into a larger print run, bringing the cost of the expansion down, and in upgrading the already existing rewards.
Please check out our Facebook page and click "Like" on our page at: www.facebook.com/knightworksgames. Once the Kickstarter project closes Facebook, Twitter and http://www.knightworks.net/ will be the primary way that we post updates and future news items. Clicking "Like" on the Facebook page will give you a chance to win monthly contests. You can also follow us on Twitter at: @knightworks
We are proud to support both
Kicking it Forward and Kicktraq.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Knight Works, LLC was an early adopter of Kickstarter back in May of 2011. We were one of the first 50 successful Kickstarter projects under the tabletop game category. As of today there have been over 1400 successful campaigns in that same category. Since 2011 we have supported and closely followed many projects on Kickstarter. We feel confident in saying that we understand most of the issues involved with publishing and manufacturing a board game. These issues range from problems with game components, international shipping, customs and even art delays. In short, no one can gurantee a flawless Kickstarter campaign, however we are well aware of the pitfalls and will avoid them when possible. As with our prior campaign we will keep you informed with updates and answer all questions in a timely manner.
All rewards for the base game do not include promotional items. The Add-On section of the project description details the current promotional items that I am offering. Backers will be able to add to their reward level to include these items.
The base game mentioned in this campaign is the same as the original print run. In fact, if we sell out on Kickstarter the game is officially out of print.