Yay, we made it! Check out the stretch goals: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/177499259/road-to-enlightenment/posts/227174
Check out the Road to Enlightenment rulebook (very large PDF file) here: http://bit.ly/JMVopB
A continental struggle for prestige: religion, science, art and warfare
Road to Enlightenment gives players control of great scientists, artists, philosophers, religious leaders, politicians and military leaders, bringing them uniquely and individually to life.
You play as one of the great monarchs from 17th and early 18th century Europe representing one of the seven top powers of the era: Austria, England, France, Poland, Russia, Spain or Sweden. Your objective is to be recognized as the most prestigious monarch by producing the most admired art and culture, lead the continent in scientific innovations, spread or resist the spread of Catholicism, and attempt military expansion beyond your historical borders. All of this is accomplished by marshaling 134 historical "luminaries": important historical figures covering every relevant domain of human achievement during the period.
The luminaries are rated in between one and seven different areas of endeavour: military, politics, religion, ideas, science, art or wealth. Additionally, each luminary has a unique Action, Enhancement or Response based on their real historical achievements to be brought to bear in service of your nation.
Consider the difference between Rembrandt and Vermeer. Both are important and wonderful artists. But in the real-life Dutch Republic, Rembrandt was famous and well-patronized, composing hundreds of celebrated portraits in his career. Vermeer was obscure produced an order of magnitude less art in his career. In Road to Enlightenment, Rembrandt has higher ratings and gives you a benefit every single time another luminary is removed from the game, reflecting the influence and nature of his portraiture. On the other hand, Vermeer only provides a modest benefit to reflect the limited impact his career had at the time.
Complex cultural factors seamlessly integrated
Invading other countries in the 17th century was a complex mix of cultural, religious and logistical considerations. These have all been baked into the various territories on the map, making it quick and easy to make decisions around where to try and attack.
- You can only attempt to invade territories that have your nations colour on the top of the circle. Those are the only nations that could have even possibly successfully invaded that territory in real-life.
- The number associated with each nation's colour indicates how difficult it would be to successfully conquer. In the case of London, it is very difficult for Spain, France or Sweden to conquer it.
- The religious symbol in the lower left corner lets the player know whether the territory is primarily Catholic, primarily Anti-Catholic (Protestant, Russian Orthodox and other Christian branches) or primarily Islamic. If it is successfully invaded by a nation with a different religious affiliation it has an impact on the continental struggle between religions.
- The lines connecting into London, and the anchor with an "A" in the lower right corner, indicate which territories need to be held by a player before they have access to attack. The anchor with an "A" indicates that any player who already owns another Atlantic port territory is connected and could choose to attack over the water.
With Road to Enlightenment, all of the intricacies related to managing military expansion is baked into these easy-to-use board mechanisms.
An innovative experience
In order to create a game that simulates the battle between nations for prestige - covering war, politics, religion, science and art - while focusing on many of the diverse people of history, we've mashed up aspects from wargames, Euro games, deck building games, and statistical sports simulations. While it is an eclectic mix, this broad spectrum approach to the game's design enabled this diverse and richly detailed set of conditions to come together in a game that is epic in scale but doesn't take all day to play.
The Box is Loaded!
- Large mounted game board
- 134 luminary cards
- 21 action cards
- 7 player aid cards
- 7 leader mats
- 56 wood nation blocks
- 20 wood diplomacy blocks
- 1 wood Battle for Christendom marker
- 1 wood first player marker
- 55 punchboard dubloons
- 12 punchboard census markers
- 4 punchboard replicas of historical medals
- 6 six-sided dice
- 1 12 page rulebook
- 9 plastic zip bags to neatly hold all components
And we absolutely will be kicking it forward.
Don't forget the goodies...
We've created a limited number of sets of gorgeous metal doubloons as an "extra" for the game. If you like to pimp out your games and want to replace the serviceable cardboard money in the box with these beauties, buy a package that adds them to your game. And for a limited number of gamers who aren't interested in Road to Enlightenment but want some of these sweet, sweet peripherals, you can buy them on their own as well. We've seen metal game coins sold on Kickstarter before, but nothing as intricate as these historically modeled, edgeless (hand-stamped-style) doubloons. Edge set include quantities 5, 10 and 40 of denominations 10, 5 and 1, respectively.
AS SEEN AT:
AS SEEN ON:
The Springboard Seal of Quality is your assurance that a new game project is worth your time and attention. All titles approved for Springboard campaigns are vetted by the game professionals at Game Salute. During this comprehensive evaluation process, Game Salute works with the publisher to ensure solid designs, thorough play testing, excellent presentation, and high quality components.
Shipping outside the U.S.
For all backing levels below $250, please over-pledge by $15 for Canada, $30 elsewhere in the world.
Thanks to considerable demand, we are now offering two specials for some potential non-U.S. based backers:
1. We are offering a $70 level for which you can pick up your copy of Road to Enlightenment at Spiel 2012 in Essen, Germany in October. Back for $90 and pick this reward level to also get a set of metal doubloons. If you have already backed at a higher level but want Essen pick-up you may decrease your pledge and pick this option!
2. We are offering 3-game packs to Canada for $195 with free shipping. Overpledge in $20 increments to add sets of doubloons to this backing level. You may also add more copies of the game at $65 each. If you already backed for a single set and are interested in this package, either increase your original pledge and choose this option, or cancel your pledge and include your order with someone else's you are coordinated with.
THANK YOU to all current backers and those who have pushed for these new options.
Special thanks to Derick Bores for creating our videos!
- (26 days)