I’m about to take an exciting leap of faith into uncharted waters--into a musical genre that began decades ago in my beloved hometown of New Orleans. My hope is that you will "catch me" by being a part of my own little Jazz Fest---without the heat and humidity.
In an effort to expand my audience to those who would never buy my Christian music (which—let’s face it—is most of the world) and to perhaps introduce them to my other music for the first time, I am embarking on a new adventure: a jazz album.
That's right--a collection of jazz standards, to be exact.
1) It's music to "live by." All 10 of my CDs thus far have been prayer set to music (click here to listen to a sample), and many people have used my songs to console anxious hearts or help ease the transition of their loved ones from this life to the next (you can read through some of the moving letters in my online guestbook). I consider this to be a tremendous privilege and blessing.
Having said that, perhaps it's time to make some music to live by! Music to put on when you're cooking dinner or relaxing with a glass of wine or visiting with friends. It's background music for your life movie.
2) Everyone loves jazz. When I tell people in casual conversation that I'm a Christian recording artist, it's often followed by an awkward silence or polite nod of the head (cue the crickets). But when I've mentioned that I'm working on a jazz CD, every single person I've encountered--no matter what their belief system or background--has shown enthusiasm and interest. It builds bridges with people, and I like that.
And If you've ever wanted to share my music with someone but weren't sure how it would be received, this would be a great gift in and of itself---perhaps even a door-opener.
3) I'm ready to lighten up a bit. Since my first song and CD (Surrender) were born out of an experience of tragedy, I have spent a lot of time and energy dealing with life's weightier matters--and shedding a lot of tears--these last several years.
But i"m actually a sanguine spirit by nature! I enjoy a good party, playful banter, and have even been known to sing Italian arias in fabulous restaurants (Galatoire's, Mosca's, Cecilia Metella in Rome...) when given the least bit of encouragement. I was my sorority social chairman for 2 years in a row, for Pete's sake! So it's time to have some fun, and I need some friends (like you) to have fun with me.
JAZZ STANDARDS ARE...
My Funny Valentine--Blue Skies--I've Got a Crush on You--Do You Know What It Means (to Miss New Orleans)--At Last…to name a few. Think Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Etta James, Billie Holiday. Think Kitty Cleveland sitting on a piano.
Wearing a boa.
The music will be heavily focused on my vocals, which I plan to sing in a soft, intimate way (not like the Broadway or opera of my past). And I’ll be supported by some of New Orleans’ finest jazz musicians, including some with names you may even recognize. (Jeremy Davenport, are you listening?)
1) 30 days to raise $25,000. With your help, I know we can do it. Please take a look over there in the right hand column to see what goodies I'm giving away for your generosity. You can even get a free(ish) download of the CD two weeks before the official release date for just $10.
If you'd prefer to make a tax-deductible donation in lieu of receiving the perks, or if you'd rather mail in a check rather than donate online, just send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to that effect.
2) Tell me what you want to hear. Do you have a favorite jazz song? Let me know on Facebook, and I'll add it to the list to discuss with my producer. I love hearing your ideas.
2) Please pass it on. Facebook. Twitter. People you love. Anyone with a pulse. The more people who know about this, the more likely it is we will reach our goal in 30 days. If not, we'll have to start all over again--womp, womp. It's all-or-nothing with Kickstarter.
Finally, please pray for me, and again--please pass it on. This is going to be FUN!
With much joy and gratitude,
P.S. For those of you who are partial to my prayer-songs, don't worry. More CDs in that genre, including some new originals, are on the horizon.
P.P.S. Here are the three large paintings I'm giving away that I painted in Nell Tilton's abstract acrylics class---it's the art equivalent of my jazz music.
Risks and challenges
As with all worthwhile projects, stuff can happen, e.g.:
1) UNEXPECTED DELAYS IN MAKING THE CD: There are frequently challenges that come up in creating a new project.
For example, on the last day of mixing my first CD, Surrender, the recording device in the studio ATE THE MASTER TAPE...and the engineer didn't have a back-up. He sent it off to the one guy he knew in the U.S. who could splice in blank tape for the mangled part. And when we got it back and listened to see what had been lost, nothing was missing! My first miracle.
Absent some bizarre illness or injury, we should have this new CD to you by September. If there is some unforeseen delay, I just ask for your patience as I give the best of my love and time to gestate this new "baby."
Having said that, I am fully prepared to make this record. I am surrounded by a wealth of talent with a long track record of making top-notch music, and we will make it happen.
2) UNEXPECTED DELAYS IN FULFILLING REWARDS: The biggest risk you face backing this project is not getting your rewards as early as you'd like. The dates I put down are my best guess, and they are based upon this campaign being funded in 30 days, which is my sincere hope and prayer!
If you choose the packages that require travel from me or you, the inherent risk is the same as there ever is with travel. But if weather or something else prohibits travel on the dates we agree to, we promise to work with you to reschedule.
3) I COULD DIE. In which case, I will ask my husband to refund your money.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)