The Yurt at Kingston Forest & Nature School
Simply put, we cannot continue our incredible nature-rich play-based programming into the winter months without a shelter.
NOTE: any reward that states "LOCAL PICK-UP ONLY" can be shipped, email email@example.com to arrange shipping. Backer will be responsible for shipping costs.
- a brand new nature- & play-based program for children.
- an opportunity for free play, risky play, nature play, and inquiry-, play- and place-based learning for local children.
- striving to keep costs low to make nature and forest & nature school programming accessible to everyone, hence the crowd-funding.
- the passion project of a very motivated educator, blogger, mother, nature-lover and community-driven woman: Monica Miller.
- located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
We just opened our doors this month and need your help to keep those doors open when the snow starts to fly. Canadian winters are harsh – but that isn't a reason to stay indoors.
Help us keep our programs running all winter long by backing this project and building us a yurt, with a wood stove, where we can...
- warm up on chilly days
- recharge and dry our clothes after cold, wet adventures in the woods
- enjoy our snacks & breaks out of the wind and snow
- craft with our nature finds & scribble in our nature journals
Why a yurt?
- Strong yet portable
- Minimal in footprint
- Natural and non-toxic
- Round and welcoming
We've chosen to have Yurta build our yurt – Canadian, hand-crafted with local materials that are natural and non-toxic. They believe so deeply in what we are doing that they are offering what they can in the way of a discount as well.
We are working with Friendly Fires to choose the best wood stove for our yurt. And will be installing a safety gate all the way around it.
We will also need to lay gravel in our new parking lot to accommodate parking year-round as the current set up will not withstand winter ploughing or the spring melt.
Here's a breakdown of the costs of this project:
We've been a crowd-funded project from the start with many small local fundraising events leading up to now, but we need to go bigger on this one, we need everyone's help to build this yurt.
*Costs are rounded up and estimated to the best of our ability. They may change slightly. Kickstarter Supplies & Fees includes the 5% that Kickstarter takes as well as all postage & mailing supplies, KFNS branded rewards, some advertising, etc.
- September 1-30: KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN – share this will all of your friends! Funding is "all or nothing" so let's make this a success! Use the short link: bit.ly/kfnsyurt to share this campaign with friends & family.
- October 1-31: Ordering & awaiting our amazing yurt, building our deck, building our parking lot, choosing our stove, etc.
- November 1-30: Yurt-raising party – stay tuned for all of the updates! Plus beginning to deliver our rewards.
- December 1-January 31: delivering the rest of our rewards and sharing all of the updates.
Here are your rewards!
Here's a quick look at some of the amazing rewards that have been created by us or generously offered by someone who believes deeply in what we're doing at Kingston Forest & Nature School...
- KFNS Stickers
- KFNS Personalized Thank You Card
- Voucher for FREE Nature Collection Bag and Waterproofing Spray from MyMayu
- Signed Photo of the Yurt
- Voucher for 10% off a Massage from Deep Rooted Massage in Kingston, ON
- Passes to the Aquatarium in Brockville, ON
- Mini Watercolour Painting from Cathryn Miller
- 5-Pack of Nature Photo Cards from Cathryn Miller
- Intention Bracelet from Forever Cairn
- Tree of Life Bracelet from Forever Cairn
- 3-Pack of Flannel Bibs from L&L Fabs
- Mini Loose Parts Surprise Bag (a quick look at loose parts)
- Guided Forest Therapy Walk at the Yurt with Claire Beach (a quick look at forest therapy), in Kingston, ON
- One-of-a-Kind Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads, Pendants & Earrings from Merianne Fess
- Set of 2 Ceramic Mugs from Wonderstruck Pottery
- Reusable Snack Bag Set from gogoBags
- Loose Parts Surprise Bag (a quick look at loose parts)
- Set of 6 Handmade Bean Bags from Lisa Werden
- Rainforest or Gnome Organic Cotton Grow-With-Me Harem Pants from Pure Colour Baby
- $25 Gift Card for Trailhead in Kingston, ON
- Signed Copy of "There's No Such Thing As Bad Weather" by Linda Akeson McGurk
- DIY Macrame Plant Hanger Kit from The Hitch Collective
- Macrame Plant Hanger from The Hitch Collective
- LunchBots Trio Stainless Steel Lunch Container from Go Green Baby
- Savvy Minerals Lipstick from Young Living (member donated)
- 3-Piece Set of Pottery Bowls from Martin Fess
- KFNS Kid's or Adult's T-Shirt & Hat from Trick'd Out Promotions
- Introduction to Fused Glass Course from The Glass House in Kingston, ON
- Introduction to Stained Glass Course from The Glass House in Kingston, ON
- Family Day Pass to the Aquatarium in Brockville, ON
- Large Framed Photograph of European City from Bates Photography
- more rewards being added weekly...
*Note: photos can be found in our exclusive Kickstarter FB group!
Also, any reward that states "LOCAL PICK-UP ONLY" can be shipped, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange shipping. Backer will be responsible for shipping costs.
A little bit about Monica!
My name is Monica Miller; you might know me from Hike it Baby Kingston, or my blog, Maman on the Trail. Perhaps you know me personally or from other endeavours. If not, you'll know me now because I have just opened Kingston’s first Forest & Nature School.
- the mom of two nature explorers (aged 3.5 yrs. & 11 mos.)
- an avid hiker & camper
- a bit of an eco-nut at times, and
- a qualified elementary school teacher (Ontario College of Teachers) & (soon-to-be) Forest and Nature School educator (Forest School Canada).
I grew up on a horse farm in southern Ontario and spent endless hours outdoors – hiking, camping, playing, exploring, building, tending to the animals, and more. Nature is very much a part of who I am and how I live my life. I recognize the value of time spent in nature and see the benefits in myself, my children, and my students.
Thank you SO MUCH for believing in me and in my forest and nature school.
Thank you for helping to build the yurt at Kingston Forest & Nature School.
Updates will also be shared in our exclusive Kickstarter FB group!
Risks and challenges
We have budgeted to the best of our ability based on quotes from Yurta, online research, and other relevant local businesses and services, however things can change, which is why we've slightly over estimated to allow for some wiggle room.
We are working with several local businesses and services to provide rewards, so the timelines on those can end up a little bit out of our control, however we've done our utmost to provide accurate timelines for the arrival of your rewards.
Our intention is to have this yurt assembled in early November and before the snow flies, and with your help, we can make that happen. However, production and assembly can be delayed for a variety of reasons. We will inform you, and share way too many pictures and excited videos, once it's up!
Kingston Forest & Nature School is a sole proprietorship business operating as a not-for-profit – this means that a majority of the work is done by one single person (Monica Miller) with funds raised in the local and wider community. Monica is extremely motivated, dedicated, organized, and driven and will see this project through to absolute best of her ability – failure would mean cancelling an entire season of programming and regrouping IMMEDIATELY to find another way. Let's not make her find another way!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)