THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
To every single one of you amazing people who backed me on this Kickstarter journey, you made it a great success that will soon become a reality. I can't thank you enough!
- Follow along with theproject developments and "like" it on Facebook at www.facebook.com/KingsnCrooks
- Sign up at KingsandCrooks.com to be notified of all future releases and be the first to find out when we open the doors to the official store. (We'll be celebrating by releasing a bunch of rare, original Limited Edition Empires on the day!)
Did You Miss it?
No problem. Drop me an email to Lee@KingsandCrooks.com and let me know what you're interested in!
- U.S. BACKERS - US Shipping is included in all reward tiers.
- INTERNATIONAL BACKERS (Canada/Rest of the world)- To be sure you will receive your items, please add the correct shipping amount (as shown in your Reward Tier description) manually on top, when pledging for your chosen Reward Tier.
* * * * U P D A T E S S O F A R * * * *
- Inner tuck box printing unlocked!
- Poker Coins are now available as 'Add-Ons'!
- Stripper decks are now available as 'Add-Ons'!
- Empire Bloodlines LIMITED EDITIONS are now available as 'Add-Ons'! (Max 4 per backer)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I sold everything and bought a one-way ticket.
In 2008 I left the UK and my amazing friends and family, to see the world with my girlfriend and pursue a dream freelance design career.
A desire to combine my love for design and card magic consumed me. I reached out to the magic and custom playing card company who had inspired me, Ellusionist, and eventually ended up becoming their go-to playing card designer, which was absolutely incredible!
Last year, after losing my Grandfather, I began to question everything in my life. I quit freelancing and tried to forge my own path, create my own playing cards and share my passion with the world.
It's been tougher than I ever imagined, but thanks to those awesome people who believed in me, I successfully launched my first deck last year here on Kickstarter! The Empire deck showed me that this path could actually work! I started my own playing card company, Kings & Crooks and today with your help, we can take the next step with...
It's time for some new blood in the Empire saga..
I've spent the best part of the last year designing a brand new edition that embodies the very same epic values, obsessive detail and powerfully dramatic story telling design of its predecessor. However, the Bloodlines take the bold graphic style that the Empire series has become known for, and pushes it even further. They each stand strong with a unique style of their very own.
Inspired by the beautiful, ornate and elegant stone engravings that emerged during the rule of one oft the most powerful Empires in history. These were times when legendary wars for world domination took place, courage was celebrated and honour was earned on the battlefield.
These are a bold, uniquely custom new deck for any card lover, artist, magician, player or collector. If you have the original Empire deck, you'll see that the Bloodlines are not just a new coat, but a whole new beast entirely. I hope you like them as much as I enjoyed making them!
...Some Empires Never Fall.
Design & Features
- Printed by the U.S. Playing Card Company on Bee® Casino-Grade superior stock.
- Bloodlines will be printed at Quality level 1, air-cushioned finish performance coating for a buttery smooth, pro-level experience.
- 56 strikingly bold, custom playing cards that take the powerful, Empire series style to whole new level.
- Carefully considered layouts and design features that make the deck not just a beautiful piece of art, but one that you can actually play easily with, no matter your game. Cardistry, magic, gambling etc.
- White bordered edging around the back design for a more traditional card back look and feel that's tasteful and doesn't become distracting during use.
- Mischievous custom jokers that contain a card reveal utility for magicians to create powerful effects.
- Heavily detailed artwork on the backs, suits, layouts and pips with custom Ace of spades art, jokers and court cards.
- Wrapped beautifully in a luxurious, soft touch white box that's silver foiled and precision embossed.
- Finished with custom Empire series seals in scarlet/royal blue.
- Standard editions of Empire Bloodlines are available in Emerald Green and Royal Blue.* Your choice of coloured decks (green or blue) can be specified on the survey I will send at the end of the project.
Emerald Green Edition
Half card clip. Half battle armour. All beast.
Epic protection for your playing cards. Available now at an exclusive price for Kickstarter backers.
Why Warrior Card Armour?
I'm an accessory freak. I love stylish and clever "gear" that takes the ordinary things we love, and gives them a unique flair; an individual character. I love playing cards too and I was frustrated with the lack of creative evolution in the card accessory world. I wanted something to enhance my passion for the cards themselves, to push peoples' experience with their favorite playing cards to another, more personal level. Although there has been some interesting ideas slowly emerging in the card accessory world over the last few years, I believe there's room for so much more creativity. The Empire series of cards inspired and set the perfect stage for the Warrior and one thing is for sure, there's never been anything like it in the card world...till now.
What is the Warrior exactly?
Battle armour to protect your playing cards. It's a hardcore, iron-forged, genetically-mutated monster of a card clip and the very first of it's kind. It's rugged good looks are inspired by the fierce roman gladiator masks and it's solid form means it's built to last; defending your deck like a Warrior at war.
With your help, together we can unlock the cage and unleash the Warrior. Battle armour built for the mightiest of warriors, is now custom built to protect your deck. Card clips, watch your back, evolution has begun.
Design & Features
- "Built for Battle" and "Born for Victory" are engraved along the left and right sides.
- The reverse features the Kings & Crooks logo along with the word "Warrior" embossed below.
- It's finished with a heavily distressed silver patina, like it came straight from the battlefield.
- The entrance features smooth curved lines that allow a deck to flow into the hold without causing damage to it's delicate packaging by avoiding butting corners or metal stabbing on edges.
These Bee® Grade Casino stock art sheets are pulled straight off the print press at the US Playing Card company before they're finely sliced up and delicately boxed into the final, finished decks. Uncut playing card sheets are such a great way to pay homage to your favorite playing cards. With faces on one side, backs on the reverse, you can always switch it up whenever you feel like.
Not only a great gift for any collector, but a very real way to be a part of the actual process that goes into making the very decks you'll own. A behind the scenes souvenir and piece of rare art that looks awesome on your wall!
*During this Kickstarter only, when you buy an uncut sheet, you'll get a matching Empire Bloodlines deck for nothing. Free. 'Cos you're awesome.
Anything is Possible Bottles
These silky, elegant beauties feature a full bleed black back with a white centre edge band, in a more minimal variation of the Bloodlines style design. They also include metallic gold ink slathered across the finer details to enhance this fine collectors edition.
Faces The faces are kept clean, not full black, and in this limited edition you'll find each index, pip and court detail of the hearts and diamonds shimmering with gold (including the jokers)
Packaging They come with in premium quality, luxurious black soft-touch paper tuck box, with metallic ink and blistering gold embossed details. The box will also have fine gold foil, hot stamped inside to finish the interior in style. Basically, the full monte.
Collectors numbered seal
To stay true to the collectors, there'll be a custom seal featuring the exact number of every deck in the limited run. This is produced and applied at the time of manufacture so there will be no "dodgy" business. If you have the 0001 / xxxx, then that's the ONLY one (I've heard stories of other deck creators being a little deceiving when it came to this, but that will not happen on my watch)
Quantities These Empire Bloodlines Limited Edition decks will be available here on Kickstarter at a discounted price, until the project end. As a limited edition, there will only be one print run ever made. I'm looking at producing just 1500, but to be fair to everyone who wants one, the final quantity that we produce will only be determined when we know the amount we need to cover all pledges here. This means you will all have a chance to get them on this Kickstarter and won't miss out. If that ends up being under or over 1500, so be it. However, after the Kickstarter, any remaining decks will no longer be available at this Kickstarter discount and any excess will be available from KingsandCrooks.com
This limited edition will be manufactured by Legends Playing Card Company (LPPC) on their Classic Card stock and Diamond finish. If you have ever used some of the top of the line decks from Lawrence at LPPC, or Bill at Expert Playing Card Company, you will know first hand that these guys are throwing around some serious weight in the playing card manufacturing world. Their quality and low run capability is incredible, not to mention their attention to calibration and registration of artwork in printing is phenomenal and unmatched. Their card stock options and glass-like edges are fantastic. Their operation is so flexible, with a great will to try new things and push new ideas in manufacturing. Rest assured, these cards will hold their own and then some. With the limited run at such detail as the Empire Bloodlines, Legends Playing Card Co will be the guys for the job.
No, not that kind of stripper. These are much sexier.
These weapons of mass deception are professionally hand crafted by Jeremy Hanrahan, master gaffer and lead card gaffer for the largest online magic boutique, Theory 11.
If you're not sure what a 'stripper' deck is, I'll tell you. It's a specialty 'trick' deck of cards, made from the exact same deck as a regular deck. However, because of the way it's made, it allows you to perform what can only be described as miracles.
- Cut to the 4 aces, every time, from a shuffled deck.
- Find a selected card (or cards) in a split second, from deep inside the middle of a mixed deck.
- Deal a royal flush right off the top, even after the decks been completed shuffled by someone else.
- Separate 26 red cards from the 26 black on one, single cut.
- ...so much more
The uses for this professional grade tool are limitless.
With minimal practice, you'll look like a seasoned sleight-of-hand pro and expert at the card table. And the best part is, they're made from the actual Bloodlines decks themselves so they look exactly like the regular deck and will pass the closest examination if anyone suspects your god-like skills and expertise.
A powerfully deceptive tool that every magician and hustler should have in their arsenal.
It's time you fell in love with a stripper.
Note: All images serve for illustration purposes only. I have tried to represent each product as closely as I can to show how the final product will look and function, but in reality the end products may vary slightly due to the reality of the manufacturing processes involved.
If you like it, please share it.
You guys are the only ones who can make this possible, so the more people who see, like and back it, the quicker we can reach our goal.
Social sharing on Facebook and Twitter is a huge help so you can find sharing buttons below the video at the top of the page.
Every share helps, thank you!
Risks and challenges
Not My First Rodeo
Although it may seem simple, creating and fulfilling a project like this is a huge under-taking. However, having already successfully run and delivered a Kickstarter project on time, I am familiar with the entire process and have systems in place to make sure things are handled as well as they can be. When dealing with a project that has so many moving parts, challenges may arise unexpectedly. Whatever happens, I am committed to do what it takes to smooth out these road humps as effectively as possible. Should an issue affect you, I will communicate to all concerned and make sure you're included at every necessary stage.
I will be using USPS for shipping all orders, domestic and international. The price of shipping for all rewards reflect their current rates, which are all publicly available. To some, shipping may seem high, but it's hands down the cheapest available when shipping from the US. Unfortunately for us both, the USPS control the prices (and they raise it every year). I can assure you I have no intention of trying to profit from shipping, all the information is out there so we can all be on the same page. It can be a complete disaster for both backers and creators if shipping isn't correctly accounted for in the very beginning. People have gone broke, into debt and backers have not had their items delivered at all!
It can get very messy very quickly and is certainly not what I want our experience to be. I hope to be around for a long time, to build a life continuing to do what I love, i.e. making playing cards, and I want you guys along for every ride. Jeopardising my relationship with you is something I will never do. I like to be able to sleep at night (at least when I'm not designing playing cards till the next morning :)
Breaking new Ground
Making the Warrior Card Armour is the only area that is somewhat new ground to me. Creating product from scratch, something that has never existed before and needs to function/look correctly may bring along unanticipated challenges. I will be keeping my eyes open so you can be well informed on this journey with me.
Thanks so much for all of your support. If it wasn't for you, this would still be something I'd just be dreaming about. You're not just helping me make a product, you're helping me build a life sharing something I love doing with the world. Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)