The Bard Of Exeter competition is April 30th 2018, Exeter Phoenix. Please come along and vote for me, since audience vote is how it's decided. Click here for the Facebook Event Page.
The role of Bard does not come with any particular responsibilities or funding, but I would love to use it to support the spoken word and bardic arts community in Exeter and the bringing together of the bardic arts (poetry, storytelling and songwriting).
To do this, I believe an online "Bardic Chair" is needed as a base - the cost is £42.17 for bardofexeter.co.uk
Please pledge a minimum of £1 to make this happen.
My one year plan is still developing and will be published shortly, but here is a summary for now:
To serve the city, as bard by:
- Supporting the existing scene
- Encouraging crosspollination and integration within in the bardic arts
- Outreach: seeking new artists and new audiences
- Being visible and active as bard to achieve the above.
- Create a “What’s on” Facebook group
- Create Bardic website and post monthly in a Bardic Blog (bardofexeter.co.uk)
- Organise at least 2 mixed discipline events during the year
- Provide at least 2 educational workshops during the year
- Be visible in local media, attend events and perform myself, plugging “what’s on” as a matter of course.
As well this, I’ll be contacting key members of the current scene to ask what they need most from the new bard - this is partly underway. I expect that this will lead to the creation of stretch goals.
Finally, why I am I qualified?
I am an experience songwriter and performer, which has also trained me communicate effectively with the press. I teach a Music Degree course including modules on event management and artist development. Two years running I was on the team for The Exeter Poetry Festival during the week itself. I have a passion for mixing music and spoken word, so have created live soundtracks for storytellers David Heathfield and Widsith & Deor. I ran Duckaroo a few years ago, the only Exeter open mic to consistently attract 50/50 poets and songwriters. These experiences leave me with a wide skillset, so I can serve well as Bard.
Risks and challenges
The main difficulty is creating a flexible one year plan that both covers all areas and leaves room for development as I get input from key members of the existing scene. Therefore, the plans are subject to organic development.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (17 days)