Update (5/6): With a little over a week left we've made our first stretch goal!! We're going to be able to build a VHS-themed lounge in partnership with Movie Madness Video and Moreand The Hollywood Theatre thanks to our donors!! Now its time to finish this campaign strong and help us turn our broken walk-in freezer into a state-of-the-art podcast studio! We're less than $3,500 away from making this fantastic community resource for recording and podcasting. Tell your friends, tack on an extra $5 to your donation if you can,or pick up tickets to our Kickoff Kickstand shows May 17th/18th - our brand new backer reward and lets see and make great comedy in PDX!!
Update (4/30): We're so humbled and amazed to have made our initial fundraising goal in just under a week! We're totally blown away by the support and love our community has shown us, and we couldn't be more excited to get started on the next chapter for Kickstand. And now... it's stretch goal time! Help us raise an additional $5,000 to build a VHS-themed lounge in partnership with Movie Madness Video and More and The Hollywood Theatre. The lounge will not only generate a valuable and sustainable revenue stream for the theater but will create an exciting place to hang out, hold small events, and attract a wider audience to see incredible local comedy. PLUS we still have some surprises in store if we're able to hit both of our stretch goals! Let's keep this momentum going!!
“One of the Eight Great Improv Theaters from Around the Country”- Paste Magazine
Since 2014, Kickstand Comedy's hole-in-the-wall, performer-run “comedy gym” has focused on creating, developing, and amplifying unique voices in Portland’s comedy scene. Since our start in a beloved bike shop basement that the fire marshal declared “a fire hazard” (which it was), we've spent years working toward a single mission: cultivating an all-inclusive, hate-free space for Portland’s comedy scene to experiment, collaborate, and perform. As a community of some seriously funny humans, we strive to amplify underrepresented voices and to break down the barriers to seeing and performing comedy. And it’s worked: Our classes have grown by 300%, our community is thriving, and we’re the not-so-secret headquarters for many of the city’s best performers and we have earned our reputation as Portland's home for hot local comedy.
After five years as a scrappy DIY space, we've recently became a non-profit comedy theater, and have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to build our own permanent home.
We’ve recently signed the lease to the former Brody Theater, a longtime cornerstone of Portland’s comedy scene. With your help, we’ll invigorate a crucial local arts venue and create a new generation of affordable, all-inclusive comedy in downtown Portland.
With funds raised in this campaign, we’ll renovate and transform the former Brody venue—building an inclusive and stylish design, adding performance space, and improving sight-lines. We'll increase the amount of classroom and rehearsal space, upgrade our kitchen, and improve accessibility.
In addition to renovating the space, we’ll...
- Provide at least four nights of pay-what-you-want comedy programming and community events a week
- Provide supportive classes, shows, and scholarship opportunities for women, people of color, and the LGBTQIA+ community, and move toward providing resources for people with disabilities
- Create a super-visible sign outside our building so that walk-in audience members can see us all the way down Broadway!
- Continue to develop and grow our community partnerships with the Portland Art Museum, XRAY.fm, Outside In, Open Signal, and many more
- Hire inclusion and diversity consultants as we build and evaluate our organization and programs in our new home from the ground up
- Figure out where the heck all the pipes in our basement go
- Build bigger, better, gender-neutral bathrooms
- Help us finish building out our kitchen and offer GOOD local pizza made in fancy ovens
Read more about them on the sidebar, but here's some pics to hold you over!
***Please note that these are mock-ups and final print might vary slightly from this design.
- When we hit $25k - Kickstart Kickstand fully funded!
- Unlocked at $30k - BIG NEWS: Movie Madness and the Hollywood Theatre have come on board to partner with us to build a unique full-service VHS themed bar and lounge, but we need a little extra $$$ to make it happen. Hang out and grab drinks before, during, or after shows in a super fun space you helped create!
- Unlocked at $35k - Help turn our broken walk-in freezer into a state-of-the-art podcast studio! Got a great idea? Give a little extra and help us build the studio. We can't wait to make some great shows for our community partner XRAY.fm
When we first moved into the bike shop basement we couldn't imagine how far we'd come in 5 years. Simply put, we exist because of the love and support of our AMAZING community—near and far! Thanks to you we’ll be able to renovate the venue, get our full programming schedule up, and finish our kitchen and lounge infrastructure (a huge additional source of income for us). Ultimately, that means hiring more employees and striving to pay show producers and performers for the full value they are bringing to the Portland comedy scene.
Risks and challenges
While there are risks inherent to any major construction project, we're fortunate to be receiving considerable support from our community, including pro-bono architecture services, contractor work, interior design, and more. Additionally, Kickstand is in the process of transition from a community space to a non-profit model, which will allow us to seek grants to support our work as we move from a fairly hidden 40-seat theater into a highly visible 90-seat downtown venue. With more classroom space, a larger stage, and greater visibility and access at every level we can rely on increased revenue from our vibrant training center, newly added food and beverage program, and increased ticket sales. More money, more Portland comedy, baby.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)