About this project
FINAL DAY: Update #19 - A Helpful Index
Upon a Fable is a Euro-style strategy board game for 1-6 players (recommended age 10+) with a fairy tale theme. Players assume the role of a grand ruler in the fairy tale lands and start the game with one Small Realm (the Home Realm) overseen by a loyal Fable subject.
- adding more realms to gain the support of additional Fables (which in turn, grant additional game actions each round);
- upgrading the size and influence of their realms, from Small to Large to Epic;
- playing Ever After cards that influence the flow of the game;
- and gathering the valuable fairy tale resources of Magic, Love, Honour, Followers, and Castles.
None of these paths to greatness can be ignored, for only the most well-rounded ruler shall be granted victory over the others and awarded the title of High Emperor or Empress. At the end of the game, the player with the highest total Point value—accumulated through the variety of different methods outlined above—is crowned the winner.
Designed by award-winning publisher and game designer, Mark MacKinnon.
Art direction by award-winning graphic designer, Jeff Mackintosh.
Illustrations by award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, Ruth Sanderson.
- for 1-6 players, or add the expansion pack to accommodate 7-8 players
- gameplay time is about an hour (10-20 minutes/player); option for solo play
- interesting and engaging family-friendly theme
- primarily Euro-style design with some random card draws
- familiar game mechanics combined together in a fun, new way
- game mechanic categories include: worker placement, resource acquisition, card drafting, hand management, victory point matrix, and resource intensification
- full-colour rulebook (download the full rules at http://bit.ly/XPkGqW)
- 3 double-sided game boards (“Story Boards”)
- 6 player boards
- 110 playing cards (86 Fate cards, 9 Story cards, 9 Curse/Blessing cards, 6 Player cards)
- over 200 durable punchboard game tokens
- 12 plastic zipper storage bags
- 1 50-page scoring pad
- 1 pencil
Additional components available as add ons to the base game:
- ADD ON COMPONENT: 120 wooden Wonder tokens - $20 add on to your pledge total (note: a pack of these is included for all pledge tiers above $74)
- ADD ON COMPONENT: 48 wooden Fable tokens in 8 colors - $18 add on that is already included in some pledge tiers (e.g. 36 tokens are in the $74 tier, 48 tokens are in the $99 pledge tier)
The following six-minute video walks you through the nine actions that all players perform during the nine rounds of the game.
Richard Ham of "Rahdo Runs Through..." has done a comprehensive 2-part gameplay video review of Upon a Fable and posted it to his Youtube channel and BoardGameGeek geeklist. Richard has also created a short video detailing his final thoughts on the game, which we are pleased to include below:
A snapshot of Richard's comments:
"...a gateway game where Agricola meets 7 Wonders..."
"...it's like peanut butter and chocolate..."
"...it just adds this level of tension and drama to the game that's really, really refreshing..."
"...overall much easier to absorb and digest what's going on..."
"...I think this game's a keeper."
"...we would play this with [our parents]."
"This game has a lot going for it, and plus it just has a lot of charm, a lot of sweetness..."
"The art is gobsmackingly gorgeous."
Want to Know Even More?
- watch a video review by Lance Myxter, UndeadViking (below)
- watch the full Richard Ham (Rahdo) gameplay video (below)
- download a draft of the rulebook (pdf) from Dyskami Publishing
Thank you! With your help, as of May 14th the Upon a Fable campaign is fully funded. We still have six days to make more magic together and start working on some exciting and FREE stretch goals!
First up at $30,000 is a new Story Board PLUS a bonus wooden starting player token [UNLOCKED - May 20th]. Then at $32,000 we unlock the set of 6 free promo cards PLUS five bonus wooden deep sleep tokens. Our third stretch goal unlocks at $34,000, so please help us spread the word about Upon a Fable to keep those pledges coming.
Risks and challenges
Dyskami Publishing (http://www.dyskami.ca/) and this Upon a Fable Kickstarter project is managed by creatives and entrepreneurs who have many years of experience with the hobby gaming industry. Additionally, the game design, illustrations, and writing is finished and is undergoing final graphic design as this Kickstarter proceeds to ensure the files are ready to send to the printer upon campaign completion, to meet our fall 2013 delivery date.
Consequently, we believe that the risks and challenges are minimal for this project, though several unpredictable factors could possibly intercede with a project of this nature:
• the printer could experience production issues with custom pieces, leading to delays
• ocean shipping from an overseas printer may experience unexpected delays
• domestic cartage companies may be subject to unanticipated work action by employees
* * * *
Kickin' It Games are running the Kickstarter campaign on behalf of Dyskami Publishing, bringing their combined knowledge and skills together to ensure that everything goes as smoothly as possible. If you have any questions or queries, the Kickin' It team will be there to assist as quickly as they can.
With the weight of countless previous Kickstarter campaigns behind them, they are able to deal with setbacks professionally while keeping you, the backer, informed with what's happening every step of the way - and not just while the campaign is running. When funding closes and production starts, we aim to provide the most up-to-date information possible regarding each stage of Upon a Fable's journey to your tabletop.
We believe that honesty is as important as regular contact with our backers. You can expect the very best from us, no matter what. By working with high quality production facilities that we've dealt with following previous campaigns, we are confident that we'll be able to deliver the game in a timely manner. Our exacting standards mean that you're guaranteed to get a great game.
For more information about Kickin' It Games, please visit: http://www.kickinitgames.com/Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (38 days)