Old World Treasures
Handcrafted wooden dice-vaults and cases.
Old World Treasures
Handcrafted wooden dice-vaults and cases.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Mon, December 2 2019 1:52 AM UTC +00:00.
Hello and welcome to our latest Kickstarter project: Old World Treasures. Following our successful Six-Sides Unleashed campaign, that brought some innovative dice to the market. We are now focusing on gaming accessories that keep your dice safe, such as dice cases, dice vaults, and rolling trays.
In today's world of automated manufacturing we have decided to take the path less traveled. All products represented in this Kickstarter, are entirely handmade by master artisans, for a look and feel that is distinctly handmade.
Our products are proudly made in Lansing Michigan by local artisans. The vast majority of the wood we use is sourced locally from sustainable suppliers. This not only benefits our local economy but also ensures that we use only high quality lumber that our trained staff hand picks.
Being a forward-thinking company, we want our products and the processes by which they are made to have as little of an impact on the environment as possible. This is one of the reasons we have chosen to take a more traditional method in our manufacturing.
We have chosen to use biodegradable materials such as wood, leather as well as some metal components, which are easily recycled. We intend to leave no lasting waste materials during our manufacturing process, only sawdust and leather scraps. Unlike polymers, these materials will easily biodegrade and will not pollute the earth for centuries to come.
Your participation means a lot to us and we thank you for your time. So please tell your friends and fellow gamers about us. With your support, we can make some wonderful products and help set an example for a better, greener future.
We know why you're here and it's not to listen to us stand on a soapbox, rambling about the virtues of our project. So, not to keep any of you waiting, please scroll down and have a look at the wares we offer. We hope you will find something that will suit your gaming and/or dice storage needs.
All of our dice vaults are made from sturdy pieces of hardwood. This ensures that our vaults are strong, providing your dice the maximum amount of protection possible.
Our dice vaults implement individual compartments with soft leather padding unlike other dice vaults, which tend to be built like a dugout canoe. This prevents dice from banging against one-another. This greatly reduces the risk of scratching, chipping or denting your dice.
To help meet your needs, we offer two distinctive configurations of our dice vaults: The Traditional Vault and the Travelers Vault.
The Traditional Vault consists of a body and a lid, held together by four magnets. In this configuration the lid can be used as a dice holder, which will prevent your dice from rolling away when in use.
The Traveler’s Vault, being more robust, is slightly larger than the Traditional Vault and its segments are permanently fixed to one another with a hinge. This makes sure that you will never accidentally misplace any of its pieces.
This is great for anyone who is playing far from home, as you don't need to worry about losing any part of this vault. Additionally, the Travelers Vault has the option of adding additional magnets for an ultra-secure fit.
Our traditional vault offers several features that help protect your dice while in transport. We have listed these features below:
- A: Our dice vaults are made with a sturdy lid, that is slightly slimmer then the body.
- B: Both the lid and the body firmly close with four magnets.
- C: The dice compartments on the lid are shallow, this allows the lid to be used as a dice holder. Please Note: The dice compartment on the lid and the body are fitted with leather pads to provide extra protection for your dice.
- D: The dice compartments in the body are quite deep and provide extra space for larger or odd shaped dice.
Additionally our Travelers vault offers the following features:
Our Traveler's vault offers the following external additional features.
- E: The Traveler's Case is a bit more robust with its lid and body being of equal proportion. Additionally, four extra magnets can be added for a tighter-fitting lid.
- F: Travelers' Vaults are fitted with a hinge on the back joining the two segments.
- G: To help store your dice more securely, the the Travelers Vault comes in three different magnet configurations: Loose (6 magnets total), medium (8 magnets total) and tight (12 magnets). Please be mindful that some people my find a tight vault difficult to open.
- H: The dice compartments on the lid and body are both padded with leather inserts.
- I: The dice compartments on the body are shallow to allow easy removal of dice.
- Please Note: By request, we can reduce the depth of the base compartment to allow easier removal of small dice such as d.4s.
To meet your dice storage needs, we offer a variety of size options for our dice vaults:
- Mini: Great for keeping a pair of prized dice or other treasures; these two-compartment vaults are an economical way of protecting a set of dice.
- Small: Our small dice vaults are perfectly suited for a four-compartment fudge and/or fate dice set.
- Standard: These seven compartment dice vaults are great for carrying your standard seven-piece dice set.
Please Note: The Travelers’ Vault is not available in the mini size!
Provided you choose a wood that is capable of taking graphics (Cherry or Maple), you can choose to add a number of graphic options to the lid of your vault.
Please Note: Additional graphics will unlock as we meet stretch goals. You can scroll down to see what’s currently available or look at the stretch goals section to see what’s coming up.
Dice cases are great if you’re looking for something a little more than just dice storage. Dice cases can have additional compartments for your dice, as well as other features such as pen & pencil slots, built-in rolling trays, cardholders and miniatures storage.
The Adventurers Case offers a stylish all in one solution for transporting and storing your gaming kit. This includes Card and pen slots, enough compartments to store nine dice and a sizable rolling tray built into the lid. With the Adventurers Case, you can store everything you need to play, in one convenient, durable and stylish package.
The Adventurers Kit offers a number of features designed to make life more convenient for the adventurer who is on the move:
- A: Having chipped and scratched dice is just wrong! This is why we have incorporated a dice rolling tray into the lid of adventures case.
- B: Our Adventurers Case come with nine dice compartments; this allows you to carry a full set of seven gaming dice, plus two extras.
- C: The Adventurers case incorporates a set of two hinges so that everything closes-up quickly and conveniently.
- D: We have incorporated a pen/pencil compartment into the Adventurers Case. Now you can conveniently carry your pen or pencil in style.
- E: The Adventurers Case comes with your choice of either black or brown real leather padding. This padding gives greater protection to your dice
- F: The Adventurers Case is constructed entirely of hard wood, such as Cherry, Hickory, Maple or Oak. This ensures that your Adventurers Case not only looks great but can also withstand the rigors of any adventuring.
- G: For those of you who have a Deck of Many, or play games that require playing cards, we have included a storage compartment in the Adventurers Case. Aside from cards, this compartment is perfect for storing tokens, miniatures or other assorted gaming materials.
- H: A set of rare earth magnets holds the lid of your Adventurers Case closed, this ensures that the contents don’t come spilling out.
The Adventurers Case can come in your choice of either plain wood or with a graphic if you choose. Please note graphics are only available with Cherry or Maple wood. The above image shows what graphics are currently available.
Please Note: graphics are only available with Cherry, Maple hardwood.
With thirteen dice compartments, the Sorcerers Case offers considerable dice storage for its size. This is handy for spell casters who need extra dice to cast their spells. The Sorcerers Case also includes a built-in tray for rolling your dice and has an elegant hand-carved relief on the lid for a spectacular look that will be the envy of all your spell-slinging friends.
- A: Dice trays are a great way of protecting your dice, this is why we have built a conveniently placed rolling tray into the lid of the Sorcerers case. The dice tray comes in your choice of either black or brown leather padding.
- B: The Sorcerers Case comes with thirteen dice compartments. This provides almost two full sets of gaming dice and plenty of room for a full set plus extra dice you more frequently use.
- C: The Sorcerers Case incorporates a large and sturdy hinge that firmly attaches the case body to it's lid.
- D: A set of four rare earth magnets holds the lid of your Sorcerers case closed, this ensures that the contents don't spill out.
- E: The Sorcerers Case is constructed entirely of hard wood and you have the following choices: Cherry, Black Walnut, Hickory, Maple or Oak. If the case is made of Cherry, Black Walnut or Maple, we can incorporate a carving on it's top. Please see pledges area for details.
Provided your want a sorcerers case made of Black Walnut, Cherry or Maple, you will have the option of having a mystic star pattern hand carved into the lid, as seen in the above photo.
For those of you who want just graphics on your Sorcerers Case you can choose from the list below.
Dice trays (also known as rolling trays) are a must for anyone who has expensive metal or stone dice as they provide protection against hard surfaces that might dent, chip or scratch your dice.
Our dice trays come in two size variations: small 7.5" x 5.5" x 1.5" (190 mm x 140 mm x 38 mm) and large 11" x 8.5" x 1.5" (279 mm x 216 mm x 38 mm). For ease of use, up to two smaller dice trays can nest inside the larger tray, this makes for more convenient storage and transport of the trays should you need to transport extra trays. Two large trays will close over the top of two smaller trays nestled inside and keep everything closed up nice and neat for transport.
OurDice trays offer a number of features that help protect both your dice and the the surfaces you roll them on.
- A: Our dice trays typically come with a leather rolling surface to help protect your dice against damage. However, if you require a softer rolling surface we can install a surface made of cork in place of the leather one.
- B: The walls of our dice trays are made of relatively thick wood, which can stand up to the impacts of larger metal dice. Moreover, the walls of our dice trays are tall enough so that dice are unlikely to rebound out.
- C: We offer our dice trays in both plain wood or with your choice of dice tray graphics.
Perhaps the most used tools in the tabletop arsenal are the Click style pen and pencil. Yet these tools rarely get the respect they deserve. Well, those days are now over! With our handcrafted pens and pencils you can be the envy of your fellow adventurers as you write in style. With one click you are ready to scribe your heroic adventurers.
We offer eight basic wood options. These options include: Ash, Black Walnut, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Red Elm, and Red Oak. There are an additional nine optional woods that can become unlocked as we meet our stretch goals. Below you will find information and images of the wood that we currently offer.
A native of North America, Ash is celebrated for its workability and durability. Ash is quite versatile being the timber of choice for baseball bats, as well as having uses in many other applications, such as furniture, flooring, decking, bows, gun stocks and even lobster traps.
Please Note: We cannot add graphics to Ash wood as due to the grain structure.
A great choice if you’re looking for dark wood. Black Walnut is found along the East Coast and as far as the Mid West and into parts of Canada. Dense grain and color give this wood a rich look.
Please Note: Due to the dark color of Black Walnut we cannot add graphics to this wood as they will not stand out on this dark wood.
Found throughout North America, Cherry has long been sought after by furniture makers for its straight grain and rich color.
Please Note: We can add graphics to Cherry, though they will be less visible than those added to lighter woods.
A native tree of North America, Hickory is a hardwood that is well known for being robust and for this reason it’s often favored by bowyers and baseball bat makers alike. Hickory has a bold and prominent grain which gives it a distinct look. Color ranges from a light tan to a rich dark caramel brown.
Please Note: Due to its dark color and grain patterns we cannot add graphics to Hickory as they would be lost on the wood.
A North American native, Maple is well known in woodworking. Being used in everything from flooring to furniture and even gun stocks. Maple is a good choice if you want a natural light-colored hardwood. Maple has a clean, tight grain and a pleasant neutral color.
Please Note: Maple is our wood of choice for adding graphics onto; this is because the graphics show well against the light color and tight grain of the Maple.
Though perhaps less renown than other woods on our list, this native of North America offers an interesting grain pattern and pleasant light red and nutty brown color. Elm is a lesser-used wood and is a good choice for sustainability.
Please Note: We cannot add graphics to red elm due to the grain structure.
An old favorite of furniture makers Red Oak offers a medium redwood with darker grains. When quartersawn Red Oak shows it's real beauty with distinct rays flecked throughout.
Please Note: We cannot add graphics to red oak due to the darker color and grain structure.
Two-Tone is a mixed wood option, offering a combination of Black Walnut and Maple. Since this option incorporates Maple, graphics can be added to the top Maple half.
- Vaults and Cases with this option will have a Walnut (dark) body and Maple (light) lid.
- Pens & Pencils with this option will incorporate a Walnut barrel (top) and maple grip (bottom.)
- Dice trays with this option will be made of Maple with a Walnut laminated to the inside edges to give a two-tone look.
Along with our regular backer rewards, we offer several special rewards, limited edition rewards and services!
- First Day Specials: We will be offering two-tone, traditional vaults, with a special graphic at a slightly reduced price for first-day backers. Additionally, we will be offering special maple pens at a discounted price on the first day of our Kickstarter. These offers start on the first day of November 2019 and will only be available for 24 hours.
Please Note: Like early bird items, First Day Special items will ship December 3rd.
- Early Bird Special: Special Edition Spalted Maple, Traditional and Travelers vaults, there are only a limited number of these so get one before they disappear.
Currently, We offer no Special Services however these may become available as we meet stretch goals, so please stay tuned.
Aside from our regular offerings, we have a number of stretch goal offerings that will become available as we meet the stretch goals:
Adds specialty distressed Walnut vaults and cases, if unlocked.
Adds Aztec and Mayan themed graphics, if unlocked.
Adds a special large dice cases as well as some other unique items, if unlocked.
Adds specialty ribbon, Spalted and Birds-Eye Maple items, if unlocked.
Adds Fantasy and RPG Class themed graphics, if unlocked.
Adds dugout boxes for carrying figurines, dice and other gaming implements, if unlocked.
Adds stamping work as an option for leather pads and dice rolling trays, if unlocked.
Adds special cases, dice, pens an pencils made in exotic woods, if unlocked.
This is the last section of our Kickstarter page, for anyone who is interested we will be discussing the technical aspects of the project.
It is our philosophy that when we crowdsource a project, we considered our backers as crucial members of our project. This means being as transparent as possible. We know as backers, you want to know what your contributions are being used for; to this end, we will post weekly progress reports, on our Kickstarter page as well as our other social media pages.
Here at KHE, we offer no gimmicks. Just quality products. We do business the old fashioned way: Offer a high-quality product and stand behind it. Anything that happens which would cause us to be unable to fulfill backer rewards we will offer refunds. Furthermore, we stand by our products. If anything should arrive defective or damaged we will make good on our promise. Please see our return policy for more information.
At KHE it’s our philosophy to promote an eco-friendly business and give back to the earth. This starts by using sustainable materials that are ethically sourced and recycling or re-purposing any non-biodegradable materials. However, we intend to do more than simply not pollute.
Lets be honest, something has to change, our oceans and landfills are overwhelmed with non-biodegradable polymers, wast materials from manufacturing that will pollute our earth for centuries to come. However, by foregoing non-biodegradable materials. We hope to set an example for a better greener future.
Currently, we have done extensive pre-production, development, and product testing, in preparation for this project leading up to our crowdfunding phase. This ensures that the production process following the crowdfunding phase will go as smoothly and quickly as possible.
We will start the crowdfunding phase on November 1, 2019, and will conclude on November 30, 2019. We will not offer extended pledging so our apologies in advance to anyone who misses out on this phase.
Immediately following the conclusion of the crowdfunding phase on December 1, 2019, we will post reward fulfillment surveys. Full-scale production for backer rewards will begin on December 2, 2019.
Special Early Bird rewards will start shipping on December 6, 2019 (The first Friday of December 2019.) Upon receiving backer information, Early Bird shipments will be sent out, on business days only.
We will start shipment of backer rewards in January and continue bi-monthly backer reward shipments as rewards are finished. Through this process, we will have weekly updates to keep you informed.
The backer fulfillment process is set to end July 1, 2020, though we expect everything to be fulfilled much sooner.
All U.S. backers will receive free shipping on backer rewards. We apologize in advance to all non-U.S. backers, but due to instabilities in global shipping we are unable to offer free shipping nor are we able to guarantee a set price for postage. If you are a non-U.S. resident and still want to back our project please refer to non-U.S. backers info below.
Unfortunately In today's turbulent world we must handle international backers on a case-by-case basis. If you are a non-U.S. backer who is interested in backing our project you must contact us to determined the price for postage, duties and/or tariffs. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the ball rolling.
Once pricing has been established you will make your pledge on foreign backer, pledge listing and add the determined amount in the pledge.
If you have any additional questions our friendly staff would be more than happy to answer your questions. You can contact us at:
Risks and challenges
Manufacturing always comes with a number of risks and challenges. No matter how prepared you are, something unforeseen can happen.
Concerning our products, we stand by our craftsmanship, and we will repair or replace any items that arrive flawed or defective items.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!