Greetings explorers, and welcome to Alphabet soup land! Are you a Bisexual Unicorn? An Asexual Succubus? Or even a Genderqueer Merperson? If so, you’re in the right place!
There are loads of other creatures to meet, so why not use this handy book to guide your adventures? Fred Aura the Explorer has collected his notes and interviews of his time travelling through this LGBTQA* filled land and it’s time to share the collection!
The book is a compilation of all the Minority Monster comics over on Discord Comics combined with notes about the creatures in question, information on certain topics on gender, sexuality and romantic leanings...
...all topped off with a beautiful map of Alphabet soup land on the inside covers.
It’s a full colour hardback of approx 100 pages (the final length and number of monsters included depends on stretch goals). It’s a nifty 210x210mm (A4 square) size so you can take it exploring with you but still travels easily. It would also look great on a coffee table or in the hands of someone you think needs some of the finer points of a creature explained to them.
Here’s the list of Monsters in the book so far:
- Sir Fabulous the Third the Bisexual Unicorn
- Captain Sashay the Genderqueer Merperson
- Queen Ravishment the Polyamorous Dragon
- Madame Lucie Decline the Asexual Succubus
- King Monarch the Trans Ex Princess
- Reverend Tumbles the Pansexual Satyress
- Baroness Camp Von Glamour the Lesbian Harpy
- Dame Sonatina the Aromantic Siren
- Professor Puce the Agender Sphinx
- Clive the Cross dressing centaur
- Mx. Alex the genderfluid phoenix
- Fukkit the Demi God Demisexual
- Vlad the Vegan Vanilla Vampire
- M. Glitterkitten the Werewoman Switch
- Sir Gorgon the Gender Warrior
- Gary the Gay Griffin
- Hank the Heteroflexible Hippogriff
- Mixter Djnn the Genderfluid Djinni
- Mr Wane Kebank M.D the Whatever Wizard
- President Pam Pacifist the Trans woman Troll
It’s basically big ol’ bestiary of fabulous queer beasts and where to find them.
To get this book down to the right price I’m going to have to print a LOT of them, plus enough to cover any future sales as it’s unlikely I’ll ever raise enough to do a second reprint. The most important thing for me was to get the spines of these books sewn so it’s more durable. I think this is the kind of book that will get cracked open to particular pages rather often...
I’ve done a lot of math (so many spreadsheets), and this is how all the money works out:
Merchandise you say? Well, besides the basic book there's some very special things for your souvenirs of alphabet soup land...
All backers will get behind the scenes access to the project and early copies of the PDF. I think this book would be an important resource for people so my plan is to release a free digital copy of the book to everyone one year after the kickstarter has finished.
- End of November - Kickstarter money makes its slow way to my account
- End of December - PDF draft of book sent out to all backers (Merry Christmas) and edits made
- January - Edits made, printing happens, I work on Comissions/Merch/Postcards
- February - Books arrive, Shipping time!
If we reach certain stretch goals please add an extra 1 week per brand new monster to give me time to draw them!
Speaking of which....
Unfortunately I can't write about every monster in Alphabet soup land- there are more species than you can even hope to imagine! Instead if we manage to make it past the initial goal I'll add some extra monsters with a big stretch to make an audiobook version of the series (written in prose and then dramatised by me) to make it even more accessible and portable.
- £10,000 Fairy Nuff the Domme Pixie (and the visit to consent castle)
- £11,000 Izzy the Intersex Incubus
- £12,000 Her Royal Bi-ness Princess Pan-elope the Polysexual Pegasus
- £13,000 First Lady Bamfee the Transfeminine Banshee (as seen in President Pam’s comic)
- £14,000 Queen Curious the Queer Cupid
- £15,000 Ally Cookies, a recipe
- £16,000 I.M.P.S Intersectional Monster Peer Support (a multipage comic)
- £17,000 Add a drag monster (design/name tbc!)
- £18,000 5 more charm options for everyone
- £19,000 Pansexual t-shirt option made available
- £20,000 Audiobook version of the book made
To be honest with you I'm not expecting to get anywhere close to this goal, but it would be neat to do it!
My name's Tab and I've spent the last ten years writing comics about gender and sexuality. Some of my work is very dark, with hurty feelings, emotional roller coasters and unsatisfying realistic endings, but at my core I've got a sense of humour (which mainly consists of puns). I think in a world that's tough for LGBTQA+ people that comedy is often what gets us through.
Minority Monsters started out as a silly drawing of a bisexual unicorn which I put on a T-shirt. Because bisexuals are mythical, right? People loved him in his sparkly glory so I started thinking about other creatures, then drawing comics, then it all spiralled into this.
I've been drawing the occasional comic for this over the past three years but now it's time to bring them all together and make something that shows that minorities are not mythical, queer creatures are powerful and beautiful, and you can be a fairy and still get a fairytale ending.
Risks and challenges
This is a slightly different style of book than I usually produce- normally I have all the comics ready to go and then put up a kickstarter for a print edition, maybe adding in more extras here and there. But I have no idea if people actually want this book to exist, so while I’ve been filling out the info pages, they’re still only drafts at present. If you folks decide that this is a book you actually want then I’ll charge ahead with completing them, and you get to be part of the progress along the way.
This book deals with a lot of sensitive and personal topics, so as part of the project I’ll be giving the backers the first peeks at the book’s content. That way I can be sure you’re happy with what I write about Bisexual Unicorns before it goes to print.
If I reach a lot of stretch goals I'm going to need more time to draw the content for the book. I estimate an extra week for each monster added so please be patient while I draw.
This is my fourth kickstarter project and I completed all of the others within a couple of months of funding. I’ve been realistic with the time goals to set myself and know how much postage costs from the last three years!
The biggest issue is always printers but I managed to complete the Shades of A Omnibus even with my selected printer going under and having to frantically find a new one.
If this kickstarter doesn’t fund the book will not be getting a paperback edition- it’s all or nothing!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)