The first production run sold out in about 12 hours. We've added new one and two packs of travel cases from the second production run as new reward tiers at the same prices as first run.
Hello from Oakland, California!
Way back in 2015, we ran a Kickstarter campaign for the Model 01, a comfortable, programmable keyboard with mechanical switches, RGB LEDs, and a milled body made from Canadian maple.
Since then, we’ve shipped thousands of keyboards… and lots of folks have told us that they carry their Model 01 with them and that they wish we offered a custom-molded travel case to protect their keyboards when they’re out and about.
We’ve also wished we had a travel case for the Model 01. Until now, that is.
The Keyboardio Model 01 Travel Case
We’re happy to announce the Keyboardio Model 01 Travel Case, designed to perfectly fit your Model 01 keyboard and accessories.
It has semi-rigid sides for extra protection against dropping, bumping, squishing. Custom-molded inserts cradle the keyboard’s wooden enclosure:
A flap on each side attaches with velcro to keep it secure:
Elastic straps on one of the flaps hold cables and accessories in place.
The whole thing is wrapped in 300D nylon. Dual zippers with rubberized pulls make it easy to open and close. A handy carrying handle completes the package.
The closed case is small enough to fit into most backpacks. It measures 23.9cm by 20.2cm by 11cm. (That’s 9.4 inches by 8 inches by 4.3 inches.) It weighs about 450 grams. To help keep the size of the case manageable, it does not include a place for the black plastic stands that come with your Model 01.
We partnered with a company that specializes in making protective cases and thought through a couple different designs. Our goal was to make a case that would protect the Model 01 from bumps, bruises, dust, and debris, while still being compact and easy to carry. We ended up with something just a little bit like a handbag. We’re pretty happy with it!
The factory did some standardized drop testing, but (1) they didn't send us video and (2) we wanted to see how far we could take it. We packed a Model 01 into a prototype of the case and dropped the whole thing two stories into a concrete sidewalk.
After a terrifying looking fall (it bounced!), a couple keycaps popped off (which you can pop back on with fingers, no tools required) but the wood was still in good shape, and the keyboard typed and lit up fine.
We designed the case to protect against more typical wear and tear. If your Model 01 falls as far as ours did, we hope it escapes unscathed, but we’re not promising that it will.
About the Model 01
You probably know if you’re here, but if you don’t: we redesigned the computer keyboard to be more comfortable for people who type a lot. It’s a little bit different.
You can read more about the Model 01 (and about small-volume manufacturing in general) on its Kickstarter campaign page.
How the case is made
The cases are being made by our manufacturing partner, an ISO 9001 certified factory with many years of experience making cases similar to ours. Their factory is located in beautiful Suzhou, the historical center of the Chinese silk trade and still one of China’s textile manufacturing centers.
We're keeping it simple:
- $1 or more: backer updates! probably less extensive than for the Model 01 project though :)
- $35 + shipping: a case for your Model 01, delivered to your door
- $70 + shipping: two cases, delivered to your door
- $335 + shipping: a Model 01 keyboard and a case at a special discount (limited quantity, U.S. only)
- We will ship the case to most countries. If you don’t see your country listed, send us a message here on Kickstarter (or at firstname.lastname@example.org) and we might be able to help you out.
- Rewards will ship from our warehouse in Hong Kong. The exact shipping provider may vary by country, but for most countries we will be using the national postal carrier. We’ve priced out shipping to every country to which we sent a Model 01. The shipping rates you see are discounted about $5 from the rates we’re paying.
- In some countries you may owe a customs duty or VAT upon receipt. As of October 31, 2018, we believe that there will be no customs duty in the U.S.
What’s a Quickstarter?
It’s a special form of Kickstarter campaign designed to encourage small projects, dreamed up by designer Oscar Lhermitte. The rules:
- Plan it in three months or less (check!)
- Keep the campaign under 20 days (we’re doing it in 14!)
- The funding goal should be at or under $1,000 (yup)
- Offer rewards under $50 ($35 + shipping!)
- Shoot the video in one day (couldn’t you tell?)
- No PR or media outreach unless contacted (less work for us!)
- No paid ads on social media (check!)
- No stretch goals (check!)
- Include "Quickstarter" in your campaign name (check!)
- Computer Music All-stars for licensing their songs Where's My Jetpack?! and May the Chords Be with You to us under a Creative Commons Attribution license (CC BY 4.0) so we could use them for our main video and our drop test video, respectively
- Annie Spratt, Génesis Gabriella García, Tim Holt, Heiko Voigt, and Michael Sloan for granting us permission to use their photos in our main video
- All the backers and customers who already have a Model 01. We couldn't do this without you.
Risks and challenges
This is our second Kickstarter campaign. We delivered on the first campaign, but delivered late. We’ve learned a lot during the process. A lot of what we’ve learned is written up across tens of thousands of words in our backer updates, but here’s the quick version of why we think we can deliver this product by the date we promise:
* We now have a much better sense of what things to look for when choosing a manufacturing partner
* We are making something a lot less weird (each aspect of the design is within the factory’s proven capabilities) and have a much simpler supply chain
* We’ve padded our promised delivery date
* The biggest reason we believe this is lower risk: We’ve waited until we’re much further in the process to ask for your support on Kickstarter. We’ve completed and refined the design, chosen a factory, and approved final prototypes (made with production tooling) from the factory. We waited until the factory was almost done with the first production run before we came to you.
Even with all that, there’s always a chance our factory won’t meet their commitment or that other factors could cause a delay.
If something bad happens, we promise we will communicate openly and honestly with you about what’s going on. We’re confident that we’ll ship you an attractive, protective case for your Model 01. While we weren't promising the first run of travel cases until January, we're even pretty sure that we'll deliver them by Christmas. The second run should ship in March; we'll share a confirmed date as we know more.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)