Hi, I'm Kevin. I'm a freelance writer and work-at-home Dad. This is Lexi. She's 6 and in first grade. This summer we wrote a book together called The Stephanies. Lexi and I wrote the story and Lexi drew the pictures. It's a short children's book that tells the story of two girls who share the same name.
We want to publish our book and we need your help.
The Stephanies is a short, goofy little story about two girls who are both named Stephanie. Sharing a name causes all kinds of problems and the two girls continually square off: "My name is Stephanie!" "No, my name is Stephanie!" It's great fun. If you're into children's books, think more Robert Munsch than Margaret Wise Brown.
We want to take this from neat little summer project to finished book on the shelf. Since the book is already written and illustrated, we just need some help getting the last little bit done (layout, cover design, digital conversion, publishing). That's why our goal is a relatively low $300 (Lexi said we should go for $101, but I think we need a little more than that).
If you support our project you can get a copy of the book. It's kind of a like a pre-order: You're helping to make the book happen, plus you're getting a great deal as an early supporter. We'll be creating several versions of the book, including digital, paperback and a special 'color your own' version.
This Kickstarter Project will enable us to publish the book and make it available to you. That's pretty cool, so thanks!
Remember, when you make a pledge you don't have to pay until the project is over and only if we meet our goal. If we don't hit our goal, we don't publish The Stephanies and you don't have to pay. And if we go past our goal, that's just awesome. It means more Stephanies!
Most of the money raised by this project will go into the rewards--getting you folks copies of the book (and other fun stuff). More than anything we want to know there's some demand for the book before we invest the time and effort in publishing it. We're trying to keep all our reward levels low so you can get a copy of The Stephanies for cheap. You'll get the book cheaper now than when we release it to the public (remember that shipping is included!).
When the project is over any extra money after fulfilling all the rewards and paying for everything will go to Lexi's college fund. Lexi and I agreed (begrudgingly) that the college fund would be better than just buying more princess toys.
Who Are We:
- Lexi is 6 years old--OK, 6 and a half--and in first grade. She likes princesses and learning about nature. Her favorite book series right now is Junie B. Jones. This is her first book.
- Kevin is 33 years old and a freelance writer and editor. He wrote his first book, Mike, The Cat, in first grade. He also wrote Addition by Adoption, and edited/contributed to Open Our Eyes and Outspoken. He's also been blogging since 1998.
- Anyone who pledges $5 or more will receive a personalized thank you in the mail.
- International backers: Please add extra to your pledge to cover shipping.
- Lexi doesn't think anyone will want to spend a lot of money on this project, so we tried to keep the prices low. (While it is a lot of money, we think the Book Club is pretty cool. We stole that idea from Justin McRoberts.)
- (27 days)