On average, leading "grain-free" dry pet foods contain more than 33% carbohydrate. But the evidence suggests that carbs are hugely unhealthy for dogs. So we're making Ketona, a premium dry kibble that's TRULY DIFFERENT and TRULY BETTER than everything else on the market today. It has the carbohydrate content of a raw diet but the cost and convenience of a kibble.
Because carbs are making America's dogs sick. And we think they deserve better.
More than half of the dogs in America today are overweight or obese. And cancer will kill one out of every three of them. Osteoarthritis, diabetes, and allergies are rampant too.
Dog owners spend more than $30 billion every year on medical services for their pets. So how on earth could they still be so unhealthy?
It's simple, really: carbs.
Even the fanciest and most expensive dry dog foods in the world still contain 30%, 50%, or even 70% carbohydrate. Why? Because they're cheap, abundant sources of calories and because their use in pet food products is remarkably easy for savvy pet food executives to hide under the existing regulatory framework.
But unlike fats and proteins, carbohydrates aren't considered essential nutrients for dogs. In fact, your dog's ancestors avoided carbs completely for more than 99.9% of their genetic evolution. Moreover, studies have recently been published linking carbohydrate consumption to all manner of health problems in dogs, humans, mice, and other species. These include inflammation, obesity, diabetes, elevated insulin and blood sugar levels, cancers, and even overall mortality.
(More on these issues below. You can also visit our website to review all the scientific evidence for yourself. We've compiled it for you in our free online pet nutrition library, the KetoNatural Academy.)
Ketona: The Carbohydrate Content of a Raw Diet, the Cost and Convenience of a Kibble
Amazingly, the average carbohydrate content of the twelve best-selling "grain-free" dry dog foods on the market today is more than 33%.
These products -- including brands such as Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and Natural Balance* -- give the impression that they're low in total carbohydrate content, but in reality they're anything but.
Ketona is TRULY DIFFERENT. It contains less than 8% carbohydrate, meaning that switching your dog from a leading "grain-free" kibble to Ketona is likely to remove more than 75% of the carbohydrates from her diet.
(*Orijen is a registered trademark of Champion Pet Foods, LP; Natural Balance is a registered trademark of Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.; Blue Buffalo is a registered trademark of the Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd.; Taste of the Wild is a registered trademark of Schnell & Kampeter, Inc.)
Ketona is made 100% in the USA, using meats sourced exclusively from American ranchers, along with other natural ingredients (with added vitamins and minerals). It's complete and balanced for optimal nutrition, features at least 46% protein, and contains no corn, no rice, no wheat, no potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no soy, and no barley.
In fact, it's so nutritionally different from a typical kibble that it's more like a raw-ingredient diet. Many of these products feature relatively little carbohydrate. Unfortunately, they're phenomenally expensive and typically require all sorts of preparatory work too.
Ketona represents the best of both worlds. The carbohydrate content of a raw diet, with the cost and convenience of a kibble. (Full Guaranteed Analysis, calorie information, and ingredient list available at our website.)
Who Are We?
We're not just a group of folks who love their dogs and want to make a difference. In fact, we wrote the book on pet food.
KetoNatural Pet Foods was founded by Daniel Schulof, author of Dogs, Dog Food, and Dogma, a groundbreaking book about the scientific links between carbohydrate consumption and chronic disease in pets. It's been called the "most rigorous and probing canine health and nutrition book ever written."
We're young, we're scrappy, and we're not like every other firm in the pet food industry. We like to say that we're TRULY DIFFERENT and TRULY BETTER.
(1) We believe in science. The modern pet food industry is rife with emotional ads, hollow marketing claims, and feel-good stories celebrating the bonds between pets and their owners. But it's woefully short on substantive facts. We think pet owners deserve a smarter choice. That's why it's our mission to be the most substantive pet food company in the world.
(2) We believe in people. We think that pet owners will always make good decisions for their animals, so long as they are given sound, reliable information. Unfortunately, the modern pet food industry relies extensively on misinformation, sleight-of-hand, and obfuscation in order to sell its products. We think pet owners deserve a more honest choice. That's why it's our mission to be the most forthcoming and transparent pet food company in the world.
(3) We believe in pets. Pet owners have never in history been more emotionally and financially invested in their animals. But with epidemics of obesity, cancer, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and other chronic diseases running rampant in pet populations, their animals have literally never been less healthy. Something about pet ownership in the western world has gone very, very wrong. We think we can help to improve the situation. That's why it's our mission to be the most progressive and altruistic pet food company in the world.
More on the Health Benefits of Low-Carbohydrat Diets
To learn everything you've ever wanted to know about the science of canine ketogenic diets, the best place to start is with Dogs, Dog Food, and Dogma. After all, it's the only serious book ever written about the subject.
If you don't have time to sift through a 350-page book, your next best option is to visit our KetoNatural Academy. That's our free online library of evidence-based pet nutrition resources. We've filed it with dozens of informative papers, videos, e-books, and other materials. Here are a few examples:
- Our review of the evidence concerning the links between carbohydrates and canine obesity.
- Our review of the evidence concerning the links between carbohydrates and canine cancer.
To understand the degree to which ketogenic diets are changing the world of human nutrition, you can visit this Reddit page and read thousands of testimonials for yourself. Or you can just scroll down and listen to what some of the world's foremost scientific authorities have to say about the matter.
The President and CEO of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center on the link between carbohydrate consumption and cancers:
Dr. Dominic D'Agostino on starving cancer cells with carbohydrate restriction:
Gary Taubes, award-winning science journalist and co-founder of the Nutrition Science Initiative explains why carbohydrates are uniquely fattening nutrients:
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods:
(Remember, for much, much more, including a dozen different one-page evidence review papers produced by our scientific advisory panel, just visit our website.)
“KetoNatural is rethinking how we feed our pets. They are offering a high quality food to make our pets healthier. I look forward to seeing healthier, trimmer dogs in my practice.” -- Dr. Willem Becker, DVM, DACVS-SA
“In veterinary school, nutrition was just a small part of our training. Thank you for bringing attention to the dog food industry through your unbiased research and concern for our pet family." -- Dr. Heather Weidner, DVM, Professional Rock Climber
"I view Lexie as an extension of myself. She's an athlete, always ready for anything. Her health and fitness are of the utmost priority, and that starts with her food. So I fuel her with the best--Ketona." -- Julian Carr, Professional Free Skier & Founder of Discrete Clothing
"The most rigorous and probing canine health and nutrition book ever written. Dogs, Dog Food, and Dogma is literally unmatched in its field. I am forever grateful to Daniel for helping my dogs live their best lives." -- Kyra Sundance, International Bestselling Author & Dog Trainer
Why Are We Fundraising?
Because we want every pet owner in the world to understand the scientifically-validated benefits of ketogenic diets for dogs and cats.
And we need your help to spread the message far and wide. Our founding team is ready to hit the road on a large-scale national launch campaign. But we need some additional funding in order to scale-up our production, produce additional packaging sizes, and launch some of our more expensive and elaborate promotional ideas.
Also, if we can reach our stretch funding goals, that would allow us to release some other ultra low-carbohydrate, ketogenic pet foods and treats. More on those if (when!) we get there.
Current Status of the Project
We founded KetoNatural Pet Foods, Inc. approximately one year ago, but our team has been working on making ketogenic pet foods a reality for nearly five.
Our Ketona Chicken Recipe for Adult Dogs has already been formulated, analyzed, and fed to our beta-testers (including our own dogs!) for more than three months. It has received all the necessary regulatory approvals and it satisfies the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO dog food nutrient profiles for all life stages, except for growth of large size dogs (70 pounds or more as an adult). That means it is legally considered "complete and balanced" for adult dogs.
The feedback has been excellent and we're (finally) ready to release the product to the general public.
We have several tons of it bagged in 4.2-pound bags. They are ready to ship right now from our warehouse in Cleveland, Ohio. 24.2-pound bags are just waiting on the packaging to be finalized, a process which should be complete during the first quarter of 2018.
We also have recipes ready for other ultra low-carbohydrate, ketogenic pet food products. We'd love to tell you more about those, but let's meet our primary funding goal first.
Risks and challenges
1) We think it's very unlikely that we won't be able to deliver what we've promised. We're quite far along in product development (the status of the project is described in detail above). Our entrepreneurial team has previous success delivering promised rewards in connection with crowdfunding campaigns. And our rewards are essentially ready to go. Nevertheless, it is at least theoretically possible that we could fail to deliver. We hate to admit it, but it's something every backer should understand.
2) We've had great success with taste-testing Ketona so far (after all, it's 75% meat). But, like any pet food product, we can't promise that every dog will tolerate or like it.
3) We are not claiming that our products will cure or prevent obesity, cancer, diabetes, arthritis, or any specific disease. Speak with a veterinarian (show them our website and talk it over with them!) before you make any changes to your dog's diet.
4) It's possible that Ketona's nutritional content might not be exactly as advertised here. But any changes will be marginal.
5) It's possible that retail prices and shipping fees might not be exactly as advertised here. But any changes will be marginal there too.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)