Lemmings meets The Incredible Machine gameplay. Help stunt actor Smash Johnson make his epic comeback to the big screen!
Thank you all so much for your support! We certainly can say that we gave it our all. Keep your eyes peeled for future information regarding Stunt Runner, preorders and a potential second Kickstarter campaign. We have a few very important meetings over the next few weeks that may determine the path to launch for Stunt Runner, so be sure to check our website, like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter for any new information!
This is not the end for us, don't worry. Just another speed bump in a long line of speed bumps we've already overcome. We'll ship this game no matter what.
-Anthony Palma, CEO
If we get onto Steam, all backers get Steam codes!
Play a demo level of Stunt Runner on our website!
Smash Johnson was a wildly popular stunt actor for movies in his prime, but years of physical abuse and hilariously bad life choices have him on the ropes. Lucky for him there’s a new director in town (you!) looking for an actor to do his own epic stunts, and Smash knows this is his chance at redemption! The game follows him through several phases of filming stunts in the movie, from tryouts at the sound stage warehouse to full-blown movie sets in the Jungle, in Space, and many more. Help Smash make a comeback and become the master stunt runner he once was!
Stunt Runner is a comedic, physics-based 2.5D puzzle game for PC, Mac and Linux that takes the best elements from classic games like The Incredible Machine and Lemmings with tributes to some of film's greatest themes and characters. In each level, you’ll purchase and place props which enable Smash to successfully traverse the obstacles on each set. How you spend your money and solve each puzzle will be up to you. Multiple solutions will be a cornerstone of our design. We plan to launch the PC and Mac versions at the same time, as we're building the game in Unity and porting to Mac will be fairly straightforward!
Control the Environment, Not the Character
It's your job to guide Smash (relatively) safely from start to finish on each level through your prop placement, because Smash isn't the brightest guy from all his previous head traumas and tends to just blindly run straight no matter what's in his way. This is our way of saying you don't control Smash, but instead you control the placement of props with which he'll interact in the levels. We want you to set up crazy sequences of props for Smash and use them to propel him through the level, because when you yell Action! at him, he'll start running like a maniac in whatever direction he's facing! Help him reach his mark at the end of each level. Or launch him off a cliff at 100MPH with a jetpack strapped to his back and fail the level. You won't beat the level, but we guarantee it'll be hilarious.
Why We Love It
One of the terms we often throw around with this game is User-Generated Comedy. What we mean by that is funny, unexpected stuff often happens while playing Stunt Runner as a result of how you set things up in each level. Maybe you spent 5 minutes setting up a really elaborate solution that all worked perfectly in your head, but within 5 seconds of Smash running through the level, he smacks his nuts off a cactus and faints. Who knows!
Building a Great Community
Since you're bound to create hilariousness in your solutions, we’ve built a recording feature into the game that tapes every one of your takes, AKA your level attempts. You will have the opportunity to upload videos of your greatest takes to YouTube right from within the game, and through our video-based leaderboards you can view what other players have done and vice versa. We're also giving you our full level editor as an added feature so anyone can build an awesome stunt set! Our hope is that these tools will help foster an awesome community of people posting crazy levels and videos of funny stuff that happens while playing Stunt Runner.
- Physics-Based Props: Jetpacks, umbrellas, rakes, portals, gravity wells... the list goes on! Use over a dozen different items to lead Smash to glorious, stuntastic victory.
- Classic Movie Sets: Follow Smash through tryouts at the warehouse, then go on-set with him on iconically-themed movie sets in the jungle, space, and many more.
- Multiple Solutions: Experiment with different props and find unexpected ways to complete a level.
- Level Editor: You’ll get access to the tools we used so you can develop your own levels.
- Community-Created Levels: Levels created in the editor can be uploaded, downloaded, and rated within our level creator community.
- YouTube Integration: Did something funny happen, and no one was there to see it? Stunt Runner is always recording your takes, so if you want to share something with the world, you can upload a video directly to YouTube, right from within the game.
- Video Leaderboards: Did you find the shortest way to beat a level? What about the longest way? The game features a robust video leaderboard system where you can watch videos uploaded by the Stunt Runner community.
- Unlockable Costumes: Want to complete the jungle scenes while in a spacesuit? Why not?
Kermdinger Studios is an indie studio based in Silicon Valley and founded by recent graduates of Carnegie Mellon’s Entertainment Technology Center, birthplace of IGF-Winners “World of Goo” and “WAY.” We have a diverse team with members who have worked at Walt Disney Imagineering and developed games through IGN’s Indie Open House. We’re currently working out of the NestGSV incubator for promising young companies.
Kermdinger is passionate about user-generated comedy, and we want to make games that allow players to showcase their own talent.
Stunt Runner is about 60% done and is currently in Alpha. We’ve spent most of our time building tools, refining our design, nailing our core mechanic ("fun factor") and getting a demo put together, so now we’re able to focus on making content and polishing up the entire experience.
The money we raise from Kickstarter will be used to keep our team alive, finish the game, and allow us to attend trade shows to promote the game.
Two More Movie Sets: As of right now, we have two movie sets fully developed: the Soundstage, and the Science Fiction set. We will ship Stunt Runner with a minimum of four sets, so we still have to develop the last two: the Jungle, and a black and white Horror set. Now that we've nailed down and streamlined our art pipeline, these last two themes will come fairly quickly.
More Usable Items: We also have several more usable items to implement, including a jetpack, portals and several others. Want to help shape the game, but don't want to go for a high tier? Suggest items for us in the comments!
Obstacles!: To mix up gameplay a bit and keep it fresh, we'll be adding obstacles and death traps into the game for Smash to avoid as well as some funny reactions to running into the objects. Keep Smash alive!
Polished UI and Menus: The user interface and menu systems will get a graphical and functional overhaul before launch.
Community Level System: Since players can build levels, we need to implement a place for levels to be uploaded, shared, voted on and downloaded!
$60 - Kermdinger or Stunt Runner T-Shirt
$300 - 18"x24" Hand-Painted Canvas Art Digital Print
$400 - 5" Tall 3D-Printed Smash Johnson Figurine
We’ve come to the realization that you guys, the gaming community, are the ones who truly understand our vision for Stunt Runner. That’s why Kickstarter is our best chance to see this vision through and get Stunt Runner to market.
By backing this project, you’re not only validating our aspirations and showing you believe in us, you’re tangibly enabling us to pursue our dreams. That’s pretty awesome of you.
Thanks for considering our project.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Every game has its unavoidable development challenges; that’s why our scope has been mapped out very carefully. We spent over 18 months developing the game up to this point and iterating on it to make sure the core mechanics are solid and fun, so from here we'll be building more content and polishing the mechanics. The risk is much lower now that we've established the fun factor in our game, so now we just have to keep our development pipeline streamlined.
One of the major features we're going to be wrestling with is our YouTube leaderboard system. We'll be testing and working out the kinks in the upload/polling system as we continue development, but working with an outside API and plugins can certainly be tricky. We also have to work out how we'll curate the video content to keep (or allow) hooligans to build obscenities using trampolines.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $12 or moreYou selected
102 backers Limited (148 left of 250)
**********EARLY BIRD SPECIAL********** - “IT’S NOT A TOOMAH!” - Digital download of the game, access to backer-only video updates, and a special in-game credit as an early bird backer.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
- “MY PRECIOUS.” - Digital download of the game, access to backer-only video updates, and an in-game credit as a backer.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
- "WELL PLAYED, SIR." - 24 HOUR EXCLUSIVE! Get instant access to the Alpha version of Stunt Runner and the Beta when it's available, plus all previous tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
- “VERY NICE, HOW MUCH?” Special edition of the game which contains a PDF version of the Stunt Runner Art Bible (concept art and a detailed look at our art pipeline), two digital wallpapers, a DRM-free copy of the game’s soundtrack, a cover photo for Facebook, and all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
53 backers Limited (447 left of 500)
**********EARLY BIRD SPECIAL********** - “'IF YOU AIN'T FIRST, YOU'RE LAST.'” - Get ALL FUTURE DIGITAL CONTENT FREE FOR LIFE that we make post-launch for Stunt Runner (levels, costumes, props -- any DLC), a special in-game credit as an early bird backer, plus all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $35 or moreYou selected
- “YOU’RE GONNA NEED A BIGGER BOAT.” - Get ALL FUTURE DIGITAL CONTENT FREE FOR LIFE that we make post-launch for Stunt Runner (levels, costumes, props -- any DLC), plus all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $45 or moreYou selected
- “I’LL HAVE WHAT SHE’S HAVING.” - Get exclusive access to the Beta version of Stunt Runner and the ability to give us valuable feedback during the game’s development to shape our design! Plus, get an extra game key to give Stunt Runner to a friend, and all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $60 or moreYou selected
- “INCONCEIVABLE!” - Get physical with your choice of a black or white Stunt Runner Kickstarter T-Shirt and all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
- “HE LOOKS LIKE A PINK NIGHTMARE.” - KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE CONTENT - Get a special in-game pink bunny suit and a goofy hat that can ONLY be acquired by backing this tier or higher in our Kickstarter campaign, plus all previous reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (23 left of 25)
- “THAT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM.” - A glorious piece of Stunt Runner art ONLY available to backers in this tier -- digitally hand-painted, printed on canvas and wrapped around a solid wood box backing for hanging, signed by the development team, plus all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $400 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
- “SO DO YOU.” - Get a 5” tall 3D printed figurine of Smash Johnson with the base signed by the development team, plus all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
- “I KNOW KUNG FU.” - Work with us to design an official level for our game and see your work featured in a shipped title! These levels will be part of the full game and will have your name on them as the designer. You’ll be credited as a “Kickstarter Level Designer” to be used for your resume or portfolio! You’ll also receive all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
- “SO YOU’RE TELLING ME THERE’S A CHANCE.” - Come join us at our launch party in San Francisco (travel not included), get four special edition copies of the game (on top of the one received at the $30 tier), and you’ll receive an “Associate Producer” credit with the option to participate in monthly Skype chats to help shape development. You’ll also receive all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
2 backers Limited (3 left of 5)
-”I SHALL CALL HIM...MINI-ME.”- We’ll model a stylized version of YOU and insert you as a character in Stunt Runner! Your character can have your name, your favorite gamer handle or a nickname (within reason of course). We’ll also record your voice for your character and credit you as an Actor in Stunt Runner. Come join us at our launch party in San Francisco (travel not included), and get 4 special edition copies of the game (on top of the one received at the $30 tier) as well as all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (5 left of 5)
- “I’VE A FEELING WE’RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE.” - Spend the weekend with us in San Francisco! Sightseeing in the city, surfing lessons and more! We’ll pay for two nights at the W Hotel, but you will be responsible for all flights to and from San Francisco. You’ll be credited as a Producer in Stunt Runner, and you’ll also receive four special edition copies of the game (on top of the one received at the $30 tier) and all previous non-limited reward tiers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10,000 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (3 left of 3)
- “MADE IT MA! TOP OF THE WORLD!” This is it! You are completely onboard with our vision for Stunt Runner! We will be attending a variety of trade shows to promote the game, and we would like YOU to join us. We will pay the price of your attendance, room, and board (airfare not included) at any show that we attend (minimum of three). Help us show off the game, hang out with other developers, and get a better idea of what our world is like. You’ll receive an “Executive Producer” credit, four special edition copies of the game (on top of the one received at the $30 tier) and all previous non-limited reward tiers. You will also receive a crown made of paper mache and tears of joy!Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)