About this project
You missed the campaign, but still want to join the FluxFlap mission to put an end to crappy iPad cases? Click the hashtag below to go to www.fluxflap.com.
To our great backers from all over the world, thanks for helping us achieve nearly 300% of our funding goal, 你们太棒了！
What the Media is Saying About FluxFlap:
- TheTechSpy: “…finally an iPad case that somebody has thought about.”
- TechNewsWorld: "Flux+Flap Proves iPad Case Design Isn't Dead."
- TUAW: "The Flux+Flap iPad case is decked out...prop up the iPad in an almost-infinite array of angles."
- WANT.NL: "Misschien wel de briljantste en meest flexibele iPad-case tot nu toe"
- Some Guy: "FluxFlap is the most ergonomic and useful iPad case on Planet Earth!"
- isource.com: "Freedom from the dreaded 'awkward angle'"
- johnchow.com: "I think it's the greatest iPad case I have ever come across."
- appadvice: "I have to admit, this is an ingenious idea."
The Idea for FluxFlap came about while two softball player teammates discussed the need for using pillows as props to get the perfect iPad viewing angles while watching videos in bed.
The FluxFlap iPad case is different because...
1. Unlimited viewing angles. FluxFlap uses rare-earth magnets that allow you tilt and position your iPad into virtually unlimited viewing angles, minimizes neck strain or screen glare, ahhhh.
2. It's both functional and sexy. FluxFlap is the ultimate crossroads between minimal design and maximal utility . No bulky, swiveling hinges or velcro straps here.
3. It sticks to stuff. The magnets in the FluxFlap allow you to attach it to many magnetic surfaces. Great on Fridges for recipes and to-do lists, or even on cars for tailgating. If it's magnetic, it will stick.
4. It's transformational. The Flap, when not in use, can be effortlessly removed, freeing your iPad for handheld gaming, or simply getting out of the way when you don't want it. FluxFlap is bringing the tablet back!
5. It's versatile. FluxFlap allows you flexibility in the way you use it. The Flap can be positioned as a stand or flipped over to block reflective glares or prying eyes. When you find the perfect iPad position, FluxFlap holds that position until you want it move. Makes ebook reading feel like you're holding a real book.
Why Kickstarter? Most iPad Cases can do one thing well, but none of them can do ALL things well. The market is flooded with big name brands that each sell the same product, but with different logos. We're endeavoring to do something different, something cool, and something useful. FluxFlap enhances the iPad experience, and we're using Kickstarter to help spread the word. Thanks for supporting our efforts and sharing our message.
Perfect angle every time. Most iPad cases only offer a couple of different viewing angles, and they're usually not the angle that you need. Using high-powered rare earth magnets, FluxFlap can securely hold your iPad in nearly every angle, including angles less than 90°.
SMALL ANGLES AND PRIVACY. With FluxFlap you can get extremely small iPad angles when you need to, and the Flap stays firmly in place. This position is great for blocking a glare from the sun, or a stare from a nosy neighbor while you try to finish up the Twilight Series.
Unique Angles. Can your iPad hold this angle? FluxFlap covers this and nearly every other angle you can think of. So no matter where you stand or lay, you can use your iPad comfortably.
Super sturdy. Most iPad cases simply prop the iPad against a rigid edge in order to offer a "stand" like position. FluxFlap actually locks into position, making it very convenient for typing, paint apps, or just tapping away at your screen without your iPad collapsing out of place.
Camera "tripod". FluxFlap doubles as a sturdy tripod and transforms your iPad into a studio, ideal for taking your eBay and Etsy pics, family portraits, or simply FaceTime-ing your BFFs.
Counter top. Most iPad cases only have anywhere from 1 to 3 total viewing angles. Problem is, humans range in height from 3 feet to over 7 feet tall! We think that an iPad case should be able to adjust based on a person's height in order to achieve the most ergonomic and comfortable usage. FluxFlap does just that.
FaceTime with RGIII!?? No, that's impossible, but what is possible are perfect iPad angles so that the other guy isn't talking to chin whiskers only!
Book Mode: ebook reading with your iPad feels like holding a real book cover with FluxFlap.
Look good on the go! Latest prototypes shown in Gravel Grey TPU and Bizness Black leather. Check out the pledges below to help turn working prototypes into real, working FLUX+FLAPs.
Movember Tribute Song: We just wanted to have some fun so we recorded this song and put this video together to celebrate the end of Movember.
We want all tablet users to enjoy unlimited angles, and so our plans involve developing Flux+Flaps for additional brands such as the Kindle Fire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note, Google Nexus, Nook, etc., as well as intuitive accessories that work hand in hand with our magnetic flap cover. Some of these include a stylus, desktop mount and removable keyboard.
Our goal is to become the case of choice for all tablet users. We plan to do this by providing a case that enriches the tablet experience, and believe that journey begins right here, on Kickstarter. The funds raised will go towards high quality injection molds, raw materials, production and fulfillment. We have finalized the iPad designs, selected our manufacturing partner, and with your contribution, will begin the first ever production run of Flux+Flap in February.
FLUX+FLAP DEVELOPMENT AND MANUFACTURING TIMELINE:
MAY 2012 - OCT 2013: Conceptualizing, Prototyping, Testing... On repeat!
NOV 11 - DEC 26, 2013: Kickstarting the FLUX+FLAP!!!
DEC 27 - JAN 30, 2014: High quality steel plastic injection molds are cut and prepared as well as a high-pressure jig and other tooling necessary to produce the Flux+Flap.
JAN 30 - FEB 7: FACTORY CLOSURE FOR CHINESE NEW YEAR.
FEB 8 - MAR 8, 2014: FIRST EVER PRODUCTION RUN OF FLUX+FLAP!
MAR 9 - APR 9, 2014: FLUX+FLAP ships to and is sorted in a fulfillment center located in Salt Lake City, UT.
APR 10, 2014: FLUX+FLAP begins shipping to backers.
Risks and challenges
Flux+Flap has undergone over a year of research and development to arrive at this point. The concept has been proven through an exhaustive prototyping process that saw eight different iterations of the product before target expectations were met. We are now prepared for the final iteration, which will be the mass produced, finished product.
There are inherent challenges with taking any product from final prototype to mass production. This includes fine-tuning every tooled and molded part to ensure everything fits together just right. Ensuring on-time delivery is another challenge. In order to minimize these risks, we’ve been working closely with our trusted manufacturing partner in Shanghai since April of this year to dial in on all of the tolerances, and hand selecting materials.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)