About this project
We made our $7,000 stretch goal! Now as part of this Kickstarter, Kate's family will re-release Kate's album Carry It On. See the new pledge levels that include the CD. Existing backers can click the blue "Manage my Pledge" button on the right and change their pledge choice or increase their pledge amount to"add-on" the CD. See details in the Pledge Levels section below.
Normally, reprinting a book isn't a big deal, but when your original printer loses the film, and there's no electronic version, it becomes a project. Kate's family (Owl Productions) originally self-published The Kate Wolf Songbook (volume 1) the year after she passed away in 1986. Now we're rebuilding it from scratch, including typesetting the music, finding original photos and laying out the entire book. We've already paid for everything except the printing, which is $4,000 (our goal). Help us reprint the songbook (in the United States) and get a copy for yourself!
First published in 1987, this songbook contains words and music to all of Kate's original songs recorded on her first seven albums. Also featured are photos from Kate's musical life, a wonderful piece about Kate written by her long-time friend and co-musician Bruce "Utah" Phillips, a lengthy biography and a complete discography. More details...
As you probably know, Kickstarter projects are only funded if the goal is met. If not, your credit card is not charged and the campaign receives no money. On the other hand, what happens if the goal is exceeded? Like many other campaigns, we included stretch goals. Here's what happens if this campaign exceeds its $4,000 goal.
- $5,000 Stretch Goal: print the songbook on recycled paper! (100% post-consumer waste)
- $7,000 Stretch Goal: reprint the album Carry It On and make the CD available as an add-on. The 50-minute album has 12 tracks and contains previously unreleased recordings made in Berkeley, California from 1978 to 1981. Two of the five original Kate Wolf songs were not on previous albums. The other songwriters represent some of Kate's major influences. This is a full product with photos and lyrics. More details...
Kate Wolf repopularized folk music in Northern California in the 1970's, and went on to national recognition before her untimely passing in 1986. She released several albums, toured extensively and appeared on Austin City Limits. Read Kate's biography at katewolf.com/archive/biography/. These folks and many others have covered her songs:
- "Give Yourself To Love is such a lovely piece. I felt a real kinship with her, because the song felt so natural to sing." - Kathy Mattea
- "Kate carried with her a voice so still and gentle that is seemed never to rise above a whisper. She wrote lyrics that both soothed us in the gentle whisper, then slapped us solidly and spiritually, making us look deeper into our own mirrors." - Nanci Griffith
- "Kate sings each song with such conviction that I believe her. She takes me back to a special place where the wildflowers grow, and I'm made to feel somehow nurtured and safe." - Lucinda Williams
- "I never met Kate. I always figured that I would, hearing her voice drift over the airwaves all through my California days, so warm and familiar, like an old friend." - Emmylou Harris
To back our campaign, click a "Pledge" box in the column on the upper-right side of this Kickstarter page. For your convenience, the pledge levels are summarized in the Pledge Level column in the above graphic. Retail prices are much higher, so this is our thank you to our Kickstarter backers.
In addition to the item(s) in your pledge level, you can "add on" the Kate Wolf books and recordings shown on this page. This is done when you enter your pledge amount. Increase the amount of your pledge by the Add-On amounts shown at the bottom of the grid above (books and videos are $17 each). You can change your pledge any time before the campaign closes. After that, we'll send a survey and you can let us know which items you added.
Note: add-ons are not available at the $250 level, but we will honor these prices for "Be Our Guest" backers at the festival.
Shipping Outside the United States
If you are outside the United States, please be sure to also add the appropriate international shipping cost to your pledge (shown with each pledge level). And if your pledge includes add-ons, also include the per-add-on shipping (books are $3 each, recordings are $2 each) shown in the last row of the graphic above.
Kate Wolf Revisited is a companion volume to the Kate Wolf Songbook and features Kate’s songs from posthumously released albums as well as many she never recorded. It also includes some of her favorite songs that she recorded that were written by others. Many songs are accompanied by Kate's introductions culled from hundreds of concert and radio tapes. This songbook is offered as an "add-on" Kickstarter reward to those who want to dig deeper into Kate's music. More details...
Kate appeared on Austin City Limits in 1985 at the height of her career, just months before she was diagnosed with acute leukemia. It was her first major television exposure and a great success. NAIRD awarded the An Evening In Austin soundtrack Best Folk Album of 1989. The DVD contains the entire 75-minute concert plus 85 minutes of extras. This DVD is also an "add-on". More details...
Join Kate's family at the wonderful Kate Wolf Music Festival. Your $250 pledge includes the following items (regularly $317 separately):
- Full Festival Adult Ticket (normally $220 at the gate) for the 18th Annual Kate Wolf Music Festival June 28-30, 2013
- Festival Shirt & Poster (normally $25 at the festival)
- Both Songbooks and the DVD ($72 retail)
- Carry It On CD if we meet the $7,000 stretch goal ($16 retail)
How the "Be Our Guest" Pledge works:
- Your festival ticket includes access to all stages and events as well as camping the nights of June 28-30, and will be mailed to you by June 1, 2013
- The ticket does not include a vehicle pass, which can be purchased at the gate (only one person in a vehicle is required to have a vehicle pass)
- You are responsible for transporting yourself to the festival, approximately five miles north of Laytonville on Hwy 101 in Northern California
- Kate Wolf's family (Owl Productions) runs the Kate Wolf Booth, where you can pick up your songbooks, video, festival shirt and festival poster
- There are no add-ons by mail for this reward, but we will be happy to honor the above add-on prices during your stay at the festival (no shipping charge of course)
- If you are unable to attend the festival for any reason, we will ship the two songbooks, the DVD and a festival shirt and poster (both subject to availability) to you after the festival (the ticket and your pledge are not refundable)
- If you would like more than one "Be Our Guest" reward, simply increase your pledge by $250 for each additional reward.
Risks and challenges
This is our second book created electronically (the first was Kate Wolf Revisited). We've already rebuilt the Kate Wolf Songbook and have a printer lined up. Production will begin about three weeks after the Kickstarter campaign closes (it takes about two weeks for Kickstarter and Amazon to process the funds). We set up a realistic schedule for printing and shipping so we shouldn't have any difficulty getting your rewards to you by the target date. Our printer will freight the books en masse to a fulfillment house experienced in high-volume and international shipping.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (22 days)