About this project
Kate Wolf, beloved California folk singer-songwriter, established her own record company, Owl Records, to release her first albums. This project – managed by Kate’s family – restores Back Roads, Lines On The Paper and Safe At Anchor to the record shelves. Please help us by pledging for her albums on compact disc or digital download.
We Made It: Thank You Backers!
This campaign went further than our wildest expectations. Kate's family deeply appreciates everyone's support of her music. Not only are we able to republish Kate's first three albums on her original Owl Records label, we're also going to reprint A Kate Wolf Retrospective (radio station KRCB's album of the first Kate Wolf festival) and we're going to give all backers a download of the Kate Wolf 75th Birthday Concert. We're delighted..so thank you!
Remember, you can always find out more about Kate and her music at KateWolf.com. Recordings, videos and songbooks are available there too.
Stretch Goal #2 - We Reached $9,000!
If we reach our new $9,000 stretch goal by the time the campaign closes this Sunday (January 8th), all backers will receive a free digital download of the Kate Wolf 75th Birthday Concert and Benefit for Camp Winnarainbow.
This is our way of saying thank you to everyone who helped bring back Kate’s first three albums. So where will the $2,000 go you ask? Mostly to the performers, who are very generous with their time (the show is also a benefit for Wavy Gravy’s Camp Winnarainbow). And we’ll need to master the audio as well.
About the 75th Kate Wolf Birthday Concert : On January 27th, the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley, California hosts an evening of Kate Wolf songs and stories, featuring Nina Gerber, Chris Webster, The Cache Valley Drifters, Don Coffin, Hugh Shacklett, Sherry Austin, Poor Man’s Whiskey and emcees Bill Amatneek and Wavy Gravy.
Please Share Now – Our Campaign Ends Sunday! (Owl Facebook)
Stretch Goal #1 - We Reached $7,000!
Our amazing backers met the $7,000 stretch goal the day after we announced it…fantastic! Now we can reprint KRCB’s A Kate Wolf Retrospective recording of the first Kate Wolf festival.
Now that we’ve reached our campaign goal, we’ve added a stretch goal to raise an additional $1,000 to reprint another Kate Wolf related album. Public radio station KRCB released A Kate Wolf Retrospective, a recording of the very first Kate Wolf memorial festival in 1996. Nina Gerber, Utah Phillips, Rosalie Sorrels and many others perform 16 songs, most of which Kate wrote or recorded during her career. See more details in Update #3. Please include the add-on amount in your pledge to help us reach our stretch goal!
About The Three Albums
Forty years ago, Kate released her first album, and the following year her second, on her own Owl Records label. Subsequently, performing and touring took more of her time, and she partnered with Kaleidoscope Records for her third album, the first recorded in a studio. All songs are written by Kate except for the six noted below.
- Back Roads (1976): Lately, Emma Rose, Sitting On The Porch, The Redtail Hawk (George Schroder), Telluride (David West & Cyrus Clarke), Goodbye Babe, It Ain't In The Wine (Lee Slaff), Tequila & Me, Legend In His Time (Cyrus Clarke & David West), Riding In The Country, Oklahoma Going Home, Back Roads.
- Lines On The Paper (1977): I Don't Know Why, Lines On The Paper, You're Not Standing Like You Used To, Picture Puzzle, The Heart, The Trumpet Vine, I Never Knew My Father, Amazed To Find, Everybody's Looking For The Same Thing (Kate Wolf & Hugh Shacklett), The Lilac And The Apple, Midnight On The Water (Traditional/John Croizat), Lay Me Down Easy.
- Safe At Anchor (1979): Safe At Anchor, Early Morning Melody, Sweet Love, She Rises Like The Dolphin, Great Love Of My Life, Shining!, September Song, Seashore Mountain Lady, Looking Back At You, Two-Way Waltz.
Original Album Reviews
We thought it would be fun to share excerpts from original reviews of Back Roads.
- Audio Magazine, June 1976: Kate Wolf’s album is a fine example of homemade music. Her songs are gentle, acoustic country songs in the story-telling tradition. Emma Rose is an especially poignant song of growing old, alone and bitter.
- San Francisco Bay Guardian, August 1976 : Sonoma County country singer Kate Wolf has an excellent album out on her own Owl Records label.
Kate's family has faithfully adapted the original LP artwork to extended 24-page CD booklets that include all song lyrics and original photographs plus some never-before-seen photos from the recording sessions. Bonnie Kate Wolf, Kate’s granddaughter, reworked the original 3” Owl Records label design that appeared in the center of vinyl LPs to the compact disc’s 4” label format.
Back Roads disc labels: then and now
Choose a reward level and complete the pledge process. If you would like additional items, please see Add-Ons below. You can always change your reward level before the campaign closes.
About Digital Downloads
Instead of a physical disc, we'll send a CD-size sticker featuring the album cover. A unique code on the removable backing can be used one time to download the album (in MP3 or FLAC format). If you like, you can order extra digital album stickers (see Add-Ons below) and give download code to friends.
Kate Wolf 75th Birthday Concert Reward
We're celebrating Kate's 75th birthday on January 27, 2017 at the Freight & Salvage Coffeehouse in Berkeley, California. The show benefits Wavy Gravy's Camp Winnarainbow. Full details are at KateWolf.com/75.
- Does your friend need a ticket too? Please ask them to back the campaign (because additional tickets are not available as add-ons to your pledge). Then send us a message to let us know you’d like to sit together and we’ll put your names on adjacent reserved seats.
- If you need to transfer your ticket to someone else, just send us a note (tickets can only be transferred by Kate’s family).
After the campaign closes, we'll send a survey asking which album(s) you want. If receiving multiple albums, you'll specify the titles. For example, for 3 CDs, you could have three different titles or two copies of one title and one copy of another title. If you wish to add more albums to your pledge, please see the Add-Ons section below.
You can add the above items by increasing your pledge by the item amount(s) shown here. Note: the $7 and $21 digital download reward levels only support digital download add-ons (due to shipping). If you are not in the United States, please use the amount in the "Other" column.
The albums available for Add-On are Back Roads, Lines On The Paper, Safe At Anchor and Carry It On (a stretch goal from our previous Kickstarter).
Thank You & Please Share!
Please share this campaign with your friends and help us reach our goal.
- Thank you, Kate's Family
P.S. Kate's grandson Eli Wolf created the project video.
Risks and challenges
Kate Wolf’s family has run her businesses since her passing in 1986. We published two songbooks and a video collection. In our first Kickstarter, which included the re-release of Carry It On on Owl Records, we successfully delivered rewards to backers on time. We already have the three albums for this project queued up at the duplicator, and we’re using the fulfillment company that worked so well last time. So there’s nothing unfamiliar here and we feel confident that we can deliver as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)