About this project
So here it is...
A rock and roll tribal fusion belly dance show!
After working together for over a year and following our successful 2014 summer tour, Junk Parlor and the Gold Star Dance Company have decided to take it further. We’re now delving deeper into this dance and music collaboration to create a new album with a full blown production that’s both visually and musically stunning and tour it to a city near you.
So how does one do that?
Music, Choreography, Costumes
The music is our starting point of course. After the success of Junk Parlor's first album 'Wild Tones,' which began the creative relationship with Gold Star Dance Company, Junk Parlor is now working on a new album with arrangements and melodic stylings that traditional belly dance music embraces. Don't be fooled, this won't be your grandpa's old gypsy records on repeat! By selecting and mixing these underlying traditional elements into new original songs, Junk Parlor will release a dance inspired album with their own twisted rock perspective. With your help, Junk Parlor will record and release a new album crafted with the dancer in mind.
Gold Star Dance Company's Director, Kami Liddle, will develop new choreographies that bring these songs to life and allows the dancers to interpret the melodies and tell our stories. Gold Star will need costuming, props and, if you help us meet our stretch goal, backdrops.
In spring/summer 2015 Junk Parlor and Gold Star Dance Company will take this new show on the road in our 2nd tour. There’s nothing traditional about it except that it’s pure dance and music. With this collaboration, we seek to bring you an incredible performance that sings the songs of fantastical love and dances the tales of wily satisfaction. This is a special project featuring world class musicians and dancers creating and performing outside the confines of the rock or belly dance genres. It ain't no YouTube video, but a live show where life is put on hold and the curtains part to reveal the dreams you never knew existed!
Here’s what’s next for Junk Parlor & Gold Star Dance Company:
- Nov. - Jan. 2015 - Write new music; preliminary ideas for choreographies
- Jan. - Feb. 2015 - Musical arrangements solidified, choreography creation, GS/JP rehearsal & costume design
- Mar. 2015 - Junk Parlor in the studio to record new album
- Spring/Summer 2015 - Debut show in San Francisco and tour kick-off
The Budget - $20,000
- $6,500 Recording, Mixing & Mastering of new album
- $3,500 Costume design, supplies and production; props
- $1,000 Marketing and Promo
- $4,200 Travel/Food: $2,000 gas, $1,200 hotels, $1,000 food for 9 people
- $2,800 pay for performers
- $2,000 benefits and shipping (all donor shipping charge go toward our goal total)
Stretch Goal $25,000
- $2,000 Kickstarter and Amazon (credit card processing) fees
- Additional tour dates... maybe to a city near you! - Stage backdrop
Check out our new music video "Si Tu Savais"
Risks and challenges
There are 9 of us. NINE mouths to feed, 9 bodies to fit on stages with instruments, props and room left over to dance in, 9 performers putting their hearts and souls into this collaboration. Some of our greatest challenges are:
1) Booking venues that accommodate this incredible show without curbing the artistic vision (or onstage enthusiasm!)
2) Getting said venues to pay for the 9 talented performers who sing, dance and play their hearts out at each and every performance
3) Funding additional studio recording fees (eh, at least Beethoven never had to pay a sound engineer)
4) Booking rehearsal times and spaces (9 conflicting schedules, plus increasing rental rates in the Bay Area)
Mixing the 2 worlds of musicians and dancers can be a challenge. Fortunately, Junk Parlor and Gold Star have all worked with various dancers and musicians (respectively) leading up to this project. The chemistry of the two groups has proved to be absolutely inspiring - even after days sandwiched together on our summer 2014 tour!
With the experience and the proven compatibility of the two groups, overcoming challenges has felt seamless so far. We're now looking to you, our supporters, to help us move into our next phase and support our new creations.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)